Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Super-adjustable sling (Read 7211 times)
Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Super-adjustable sling
Mar 17th, 2006 at 5:48pm

Hey guys. I made a new sling out of nylon cord (SOO much easier than briading it myself Wink). I made an adjustable pouch by using Prusik knots and an adjustable loop by tying a noose (I love how cool nooses look). Anyway, I wanted to make an adjustable sling length too, so that the length wouldn't be affected every time I change the pouch size. I think it was Jurek that had made adjustable length slings. Can someone explain how I can make one adjustable?

Here are pictures of it:

detailed image at: http://www.altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/adj-sling.jpg

The ends:
detailed image at: http://www.altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/noose.jpg

The prusik knots:
detailed image at: http://www.altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/prusik.jpg

As a belt/concealed weapon:
detailed image at: http://www.altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/sling-belt.jpg
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2006 at 7:23pm by Altay »  

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: Super-adjustable sling
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 5:56pm

monkey chain knot Smiley

or you could make the release and retention cords out of  two lengths each, joined the same way you make a prusik knot pouch. for different ammo, to keep the exact same length, you'd have to adjust six prusik knots though Sad

or you could just make either the release or retention cords out of prusik knots  then slide the pouch around. you'd only be adjusting four knots then, but moving the pouch around would take a lot more work.

or you could just wrap extra on the finger loop side up around your finger, and hold the release cord lower.

or you could use a truckers hitch, with the load bearing loop attatched to the retention and/or release cord(s)

monkey chain knot sounds pretty good right about now  Wink

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 7:44pm

I can't find anything that shows how to tie a "monkey chain knot". Actually, I can't even find what it looks like. Can you explain/show how to tie it? ???

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:06pm

I found what I was originally looking for (not the monkey chain knot, AFAIK). It was on the following page: http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11011010.... Judging by the way the knot is tied, I think it'd be hard to use on my sling because of how it's doubled over on the release knot and the loop areas.

EDIT: In retrospect, I'm not sure why I was thinking that I could have an adjustable length without a loop Tongue.

&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:19pm

sounds like fun. heres the link to the monkey chain knot. (it's the knot shown in the pictures of the Beta version of the headband sling) http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11414485...

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:37pm

oh. It's that knot? Does it actually hold while slinging? It looks like it would slip apart.

&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:51pm

you just have to seal it by passing the cords through the final loop, then it holds very well.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 12:30am

well, I just finished a sling that has an adjustable finger loop, sling legth, and pouch size. Pretty much 100% adjustable. I'll upload a picture soon. I used a noose for the finger loop and shut it with a fisherman's knot (it'll make more sense with the picture). Then I used the rolling hitch to make the adjustable sling length and finally, the good ol' Prusik knot (man I love those knots!) to make the adjustable pouch size. It looks more like a string chain than a sling, but I'll bet it's going to be my new favorite sling. Grin Grin Grin

Here's the sling:

Bigger picture at: http://altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/total_adj.jpg

&&
IP Logged

pancaker

Ohio
Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 12:37am

Actually, it's a whole lot easier to make a sling with adjustable pouch but constant length:

Take two full-length parallel strings. Put two adjustable knots near the center. Done.

(well, you might want a finger loop and a release knot, but that's optional)

Alternately, if you don't want to hold on to a 4-strand-thick bundle while you sling, you can make one split-pouch sling any way you wish, then partially bind the ends together.

To bind the ends of a split pouch made from string, you can use whipping.

To bind the ends of a leather split pouch, put holes/rivets in the leather at regular intervals. You can then tie the ends together to reduce the size of the pouch, using wire/shoelace/anything.

What the heck, you can even sew buttons on a ribbon-like split pouch (i.e. webbing or woven)

Go wild, you could even use two zippers AS the pouch. (I don't think a zipper would slide too much, but it might get damaged)

Hope that helps
Smiley

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 12:43am

Quote:
Actually, it's a whole lot easier to make a sling with adjustable pouch but constant length:

Take two full-length parallel strings. Put two adjustable knots near the center. Done.

That's what I was doing... I don't quite understand how the length will stay constant. When you have a bigger pouch, more of the string will be doubled over, so the overall length will be shorter. And if you have a smaller pouch, you'll have a longer sling. The only way (that I see) to fix this is to add a way to adjust the pouch length near the end of the string that you hold. That way when you make the pouch larger, you can lengthen the sling to make up for what you lost by enlarging the pouch. Did you follow all that?

&&
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 8:15am

A one string, fixed length, adjustable pouch size sling.
Take a length of string, just over twice the length of the finished sling and tie a knot for the finger loop or tie a toggle in. Next feed both ends through the hole of a tight fitting bead, and a second one. The beads make the start and end of the pouch. If you can not find beads, sailors used Turks Head Knots for this kind of beads long ago.
To finish of, tie a release knot.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:42am

sounds good. Altay, I think what Pancaker meant was that of the two cords, neither one is designated as retention cord or release cord, they both extend the whole length of the sling, and are bound in two points to form the pouch, same principle as Willeke's idea.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 5:23pm

I think I see what you're saying, but if the entire length of the sling stays the same, then when you lengthen the pouch and put a larger load in it, it won't reach quite as far as with a smaller load because, to a certain extent, the load will flatten out the sling there wether it's doubled over or not. See the image below for an exaggerated version of what I'm saying:

&&
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:13pm

Ungh.... WAY too complicated for me... I have the perfect solution though.... Make slings of different lengths. bing bang boom done... But I have been thinking.... would it be possible to make a light weight hooking thingy that would still be durable and basically just have different size pouches and strings that you could change out... Just came up with this off the top of my head so... I dunno if anything like this could be effective... but who knows? I dont

If it's a stupid idea, someone else came up with it.... if its a great idea... it was all me!  Grin

^Peace out from SlingWolf^

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:52pm

I see what you mean Altay. This is just one of the possibilities to overcome that. It uses a version of the sling Willeke mentioned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)