Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
rotations (Read 7604 times)
person3

maryland
Re: rotations
Reply #15 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 8:32am

helicoptor and overhand are my favorites

for overhand, I just swing the sling back and fourth to get the feel of the rock an than just snap it forward

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:47am

I think that more than 2 rotations is no use if you're not using extremely long sling or big stone, but when slinging for distance I often take many slow rotations to prepare me and make me concertrate on the sling and where I want the stone to go.
My techniques are helicopter and figure-8 and figure-8 with full spin. That's the ones I feel are most effective.

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 12:51pm

My favorite, although not great for distance.... is using the.... uhhhh..... (i'm not great with the terms) the sideways thing.... i start kind of rocking the sling back and forth to get the motion (because you cant do rotations on this or you'll just be spinning yourself in circles). all this time im sideways to my target with my head facing it. Then i make about a 90 degree turn (very fast) and pull my sling after me, letting go at the right time. After that my follow through is to just let myself spin out and watch for which car window i break so i know which way to run   Shocked

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 2:02pm

thats nothing that i've hurd of,
my younger brother does this underhand figure 8

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 2:37pm

This was asked of me last time my SCA buddy and I were out slinging. He was trying to figure out how it was I never use the same throwing style twice in a row but I still almost always hit what I'm aming at. Never did get a straight answer out of me... It seems to boil down to the same tunnel vision trick the zen archers use. Thats probably why the spining the body style doesnt work for me...

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 3:25pm

I dont know why but when im swinging a stile that puts my swing in an up and down position... i am bad at judging height... but when i do sideways i can move my arm up or down to get near perfect height and i do real good accuracy that way even though the side to side distances are the real variable there... Undecided

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #21 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 3:18pm

Just found this again in my computer.
I aquired it from the web years ago but
don't know where or who should be attributed.

8)
How do you shoot it? Well, not like Darryl Hannah
did it in the movie Clan of the Cave Bear.
The sound effects were great but not the technique!
You do not whirl it around your head to build speed
then let fly. You will send the stone a long way.
... but which way?

I learned how to properly shoot one from a lady who
used to herd sheep as a girl in Utah and Wyoming.
When she saw the sling her eyes lit up and she grabbed it.

She claimed to have killed many coyotes with a sling.
She looked to be about eighty years old and was small
and frail. It was easy to see that she had been a rather
small girl and when she saw the doubt in my eyes she
grabbed me and we headed out the back door into the alley.

I was just getting my bearings when a garbage can exploded
about 100 feet away. There was granny rubbing her right shoulder
but with a great big satisfied grin on her face.  Shocked

Her technique really surprised me. It was just one overhand swing!
She tossed the pouch with the rock in it forward and to the left
a little while at the same time she reached forward to the right
a little with her right hand just enough to take up the slack.
Then she brought her right arm down, around and over
just like a big league pitcher.

She told me that doing it the same way every time
was the only way you could get accurate.

If a big league pitcher can throw a ball ninety miles
per hour then I'll bet a good man with a sling could
at least double that speed. 
Grin

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #22 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 3:57pm

Steven,

Thank you for posting the description of Granny's slinging style!

I tried something like this style (as near as I could remember it) after I read your post.  Stood at an angle to the target, just like for the Apache style, and tossed or swung the ball out in front before dragging it back, up and over.  Worked great, gave my favorite stump a mortal wound (tennis ball hit dead center, bounced back almost to me --- my dog got confused, he is not used to me actually HITTING anything so he had already run past the stump).  Hit the stump several times, in fact.

It is really annoying.  Whenever I try something new, I'm dead-accurate for a short time and then my mind starts trying to take over ... "OK, now that was good, but if we just do THIS it will be even better!" ... "SHUT UP, brain, you're getting in the way!"

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #23 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 4:52pm

Heeey thats what i've been doing for a while now Shocked it does work after a bit of practice Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

alander
Novicius

Sweden
Reply #24 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 7:31am

I often use the apache style or the whip, more you rotate the bigger chance you miss.

IP Logged

Khirkyth
Novicius

hah

Reply #25 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 7:33am

Quote:
I often use the apache style or the whip, more you rotate the bigger chance you miss.

Indeed i agree.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #26 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 4:11pm

I tried the "Granny style" again the morning, and then realized I wasn't doing it the way you described.  From the description (especially of her rubbing her shoulder after the cast), she swung her whole arm (as Forsyth suggests for the Apache style).  I was tossing the ball out front, then whipping my arm back, up, around, but I was swinging from the elbow, not from the shoulder.  Quicker snap, but not as powerful.  But very accurate, I like it!  I think I was looking more like MagnumSlinger when he did those quick-reload videos.  This evening I'll try again and use a full-arm swing.  I expect I'll get more power than with the Forsyth/Apache style, and I wonder if I'll be any more accurate.

I think tossing the ball or rock out front, then whipping it back, increases the power.  It's the same idea as when you jump upward.  If you drop a bit and immediately jump, you will go higher than if you drop, come to rest for a second, and then jump from that resting position.  Your muscles come to full power while you are overcoming the downward motion, so that you are already applying full power when you start to rise.  If you come to rest first, then you waste a small part of your upward motion, as your muscles are not at full power yet.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris)