Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
rotations (Read 7534 times)
drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

rotations
Mar 16th, 2006 at 7:16am

Just a question. What technique do all of you use? I mean do you wind up with a few rotations, or do you use one rotation then launch? I am just wondering because I dont get very much distance with a windup and want to know if just one snap will increase power and distance.
           Thanks guys,
                    drum_slinger

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: rotations
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 9:15am

i use one rotation and then just fling it forward Really fastlike i don't get That much distance but it just feels more natural  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 2:47pm

Most of the time I use a softball pitch like throw with no windup. Just step back, rock forward, lunge and plant my left foot forward, and bring my arm forward. I start with my right arm bent slightly and sticking out to my right, then begin my motion. the whole movement of my arm totals slightly more than 360 degrees from beginning to the time I bring the sling to a stop, usually crossing my arm slightly across my chest in followup.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 5:17pm

I use the figure-8/tennis throw because every other throw I've tried was unnatural/uncomfertable. So, about 1.5 - 1.75 rotations.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 7:23pm

When I use the helicopter throw I let the sling swing around 3-4 times before release.  The longer the sling the more rotations feels natural for me.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 7:53pm

i use the sofball fast pitch method with about two rotations

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 8:32pm

I use several techniques, with varying amounts of windup.  The Forsyth/Apache technque has NO windup; see his article for a description of how to do it.  The figure-8 has a one-rotation windup.  David Taylor's Greek casts (whether underhand, side-arm or overhand) have about a half-rotation of windup.  When I use Jurek's side-arm technique, I get better results with two rotations (Sv, if I remember, uses one rotation).

Drum_slinger,
In my opinion, the windup has nothing to do with putting power into the ball/rock/whatever.  Its purposes are (1) to get the sling in the proper position for the delivery swing, and (2) to give you a feel for the weight of what you are about to sling (if you are slinging rocks you just picked up).

Altay,
Several of us who learned the figure-8 around a year ago, really had problems with it.  Swinging the sling behind my head, just felt WRONG.  Until I "got it".  And you say that the figure-8 is the only one that feels natural to you?  I'm envious.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 8:41pm

I have to agree with Tint. It depends on the size of the sling you are using. With a short sling I just use a snap. With a longer sling I may use several rotations.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 8:53pm

Hmm, Dale, the figure-8 feels more naturual to me than anything else, probably because i play tennis though.

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 9:09pm

i love underhand pitch.

for some reasone i just don't feel comfortable doing an overhand. i need to learn how thought. my technique for that throw sucks. qwik ? when throwing an overhand pitch does the sling stay on the sling side of the body, and can you swing it on the other side before a release.

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 9:34pm

I use the figure-8 and underhand throws most. The underhand I typically have three rotations.

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 9:38pm

I am still plastic enough to try all of them, because I'm still learning. Overhand, and helicopter with 2 1/2 rotations seem to be the most powerful.
I have to agree that you don't get any additional power from rotations, but it helps you judge the weight of the stone alot better.

Sorta still on topic...
While slinging, how far do all of you point your palm to the sky? I've noticed a slightly smoother throw when I do this before my launch. Has anyone else noticed this?

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 9:48pm

Quote:
qwik ? when throwing an overhand pitch does the sling stay on the sling side of the body, and can you swing it on the other side before a release.

Well, if you swung it around behind your back, then you'd essentially be doing a figure-8...

EDIT: Since we're all asking questions about how to sling, do you extend your arm when throwing overhand/underhand or do you simply rotate your wrist?

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:04pm

There's some film of various techniques on this forum someplace.   I think the styles break down into these:
1/ Figure 8 overhand pioneered by nwmanitou, with the final snap like a tennis serve or hardball pitch.
2/ Single snap overhand "Apache style", also like a tennis serve, but with no preliminary turn.
3/ Underhand generally with about 1-3/4 to 2 turns total
4/ Helicopter/sidearm with plane of rotation ranging from near vertical to near horizontal, with various numbers of turns, but generally finishing with slinging arm across the body.

It's important to extend the slinging arm as much as possible.  It's not done with a wrist snap only.   I like the reliability/accuracy of the Fig 8 overhand, but am not flexible enough to start with my arm back far enough to get maximum power into this style.  So, I think my 'natural' style is sidearm.

....for what it's worth.....

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:07pm

Overhand the Figure-8 ... so that is about 1 & 3/4  revolutions.

Underhanded start with sling hand pointed at target step ,  crank around and back about 3/4 of a revolution.

If multiple revolutions just fast enough to keep ammo in pouch and get a feel for weight (multiple sized stones)
untill all is well and then step, crank and cast. (or as we used to say , back in the day. "Unconscious"

Definition of unconscious (adjective) not cognizant of objects, actions, etc)

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)