Send Topic Print
neolithic sling (Read 7120 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: neolithic sling
Reply #30 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 6:16pm

i think it has something to do with their vision and ability to judge distances.  they were talking about the seeing abiliyty on some crime show.  it said something like the women had a bigger part of the brain than men, so they could more quickly memorize more about a person, useful as  a witness, no?  i think they also talked about the distance judgement and such also.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #31 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 11:57pm

Judging by what an old Soviet officer said on the History channel, women are simply more patient than men.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #32 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 1:14pm

The female is the deadlier of the species. (If I remember right it was in a book by Heinlein.)

But mostly it takes them longer to get angry enough to atack.
That may be because they do take care of the young, and need to leave the young alone to attack.
In most animals the male will (mock) fight with other males of the same species but the female will only fight for real and than nearly never with the same species.

In people this is watered down, but maybe the old instincts are not as dead as we often think they are.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #33 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 5:04pm

as i understand it, when they are choosing police dogs(mostly german shepards) for work, they only pick males.  this is because the females, once they start attacking, can not be called off.  males are more easily controlled in this aspect.

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #34 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 11:20pm

It most definately depends on the animal.

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #35 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 11:28pm

and to the person calling the dog off as well...

Taiki  
IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #36 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 5:10am

Quote:
I should ask my friends dad, he's an archeoligist for ancient south east native americans. he said they used slings, but he didn't go into much detail. he seems more interested in the atala'tl,(spelling?) and the bow

hi,
Im no expert but I guess that the atlatl and sling would have been developed at about the same time.

Neal

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #37 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 5:13am

Quote:
The female is the deadlier of the species. (If I remember right it was in a book by Heinlein.)

But mostly it takes them longer to get angry enough to atack.
That may be because they do take care of the young, and need to leave the young alone to attack.
In most animals the male will (mock) fight with other males of the same species but the female will only fight for real and than nearly never with the same species.

In people this is watered down, but maybe the old instincts are not as dead as we often think they are.

Willeke

Hi,
there is some controversial archaelogical evidence that points to our hunter gatherer and early agricultural past  being extreamly violent especialy compared to life in our modern society.

Neal

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #38 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 6:07pm

Quote:
hi,
Im no expert but I guess that the atlatl and sling would have been developed at about the same time.

Neal

I believe the atlatl and sling were developed around the same time.  They both rely on the physics behind mechanical advantage.  Once neolithic humans developed one, the other must have been close behind.  In someways, making a sling out of leather might have been easier to fabricate than a spear thrower.  Also the sling is closer the most primitive projectile weapon: the hand thrown rock. 

Chris

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #39 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 11:59pm

Quote:
name one weapon ever invented by a woman. Women have more important things to work on in their lives than figure out ways to hurt and kill each other. Or so I like to think.

Stilletto heeled high heel shoe! Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #40 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 12:04am

Quote:
O.K.... This maybe a bit off but here goes...In sniper school we learned that women are better shots than men. Thus they are employed as snipers in other countries. I'm only slightly better with rifel and pistol than my mom...took me years to beat her playing darts...woman fought with (beside)the men in alot of tribal wars/battles threwout history...

Dr Ruth the sex doctor was a sniper in the Israeli Army in her youth. Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #41 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 7:43am

Wow Shocked What a woman Shocked probably great in the sack And a killer shot Tongue who would want to cheat her(or dare Tongue )

Taiki  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 12:13pm

I think that the sling and atlatl were probably developed close together.  However, some archaeologists believe that the development of the spear thrower was very quickly followed, within about 5,000 years or so, by the development of the bow.  The three weapons could quite easily have been contemporaries in the "old world" as they undoubtedly were in the Central American civilisations.
  It would be very interesting to find out that women are better shots than men.  Considering the fact that women would have little necessity to use weaponry in comparison to men, it would be quite surprising that they would have so evolved.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #43 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 11:12pm

well looking at the natural order of wild animals, females do most of the actual hunting and the males just sort of do an ego-dance over territory.  the females do the real work, and the males just act all macho.  possibly humans are naturaly driven to be the same way, as some sort of primitive instict left over from days long gone.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 8:55am

That isn't the way human/primate societies work/have worked.  Males hunt - they provide very few calories compared to what the women bring in by gathering, but the protein is important.  Females normally were/are the ones who stayed closer to home, gathered roots, leaves, etc.  I don't doubt the fact that civilisation is the result of women's, rather than men's, activities.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Rat Man)