thank you ^^  Kiss

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Re: neolithic sling
Reply #16 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 6:43pm

I think the sling was invented through trial and error out of necessity. It could have been a man, could have been a woman...Women are speculated to have had more control back in those days. By the Great Earth Mother aye!

Women are just as capable and gritty as men, some are more so, some are less. We are totally equal. Unfortunately, women stereotype themselves, without a man's help mind you. They take their own power away and put it into buying skimpy clothes, screwing random boys in high school and obsessing over their looks.

Cool weapon wielding women of the past:
Freydis the Fierce
Alwilda the Seawolf
And who can forget Ayla of the Clan of the Cave Bear? Although, she's not real, Im sure some cavewoman like her did live.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 7:12pm

or joan of arc; leading the french to victory over the english, and then jumping out of a window to excape the english when she was captured, and then dying because she refused to recant that she had had visions of god's messengers.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #18 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 8:41pm

Harryman,

Just looked at that film clip.  Some good information, though brief.  The guy who hosts the show looked like he had a decent underhand ... but too much windup!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #19 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 8:50pm

what about the woman who led english tribes against the romans...began with a 'b'...

that story about fire seems a bit far fetched to me. deciding fire could save lives and learning how to use it at the same time. we'll never know though.

what was thinking like before language? just raw emotions and images... inventing anything would've been pretty difficult.

IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #20 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 8:54pm

Getting completly of topic. In the disney movie "The hunchback of notre dame" (I had to wach it in school) This one gypsie uses a sling

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #21 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 8:56pm

yeah good point we have no idea really about what it was to think before we could speak as a child we would have thought like people did all those years ago.. to bad we can't remember Undecided

Taiki  
IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #22 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 8:57pm

Quote:
what about the woman who led english tribes against the romans...began with a 'b'...

that story about fire seems a bit far fetched to me. deciding fire could save lives and learning how to use it at the same time. we'll never know though.

what was thinking like before language? just raw emotions and images... inventing anything would've been pretty difficult.

That was buth or somthing like that

She was a celtic queen who comited suicide because she lost a battle

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #23 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 10:53pm

hah yeah. i think it was bodica or boudica, not sure of the spelling. history channel spent 50 minutes of their show glorifying her, and the last ten graphically describing the mercicless slaughter of her army and people by the romans  Tongue Wink. i swear that normally i remember more than that when watching shows, but i was also making a knife Smiley

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #24 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:30pm

Her name was Boudicca. She was tall and had red hair. Anyway, she wasn't extremely successful. She wiped out a Roman legion, but her war efforts weren't terribly efficient. In one battle she lead 100,000 Britons against 10,000 Romans. 80,000 Britons were killed and the Romans lost 400 men. That's not too successful a battle... Tongue

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #25 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 1:47pm

I'm not a particular fan of linear thought. I doubt we'll ever know who "invented" fire, or anything else back then. I doubt it even matters. All these things were most likely invented completely independant from eachother.

I highly doubt that people who have herbalism and religion would somehow be ignorant and afraid of fire. There's strong evidence that we've been using it, if not making it, since before we could even been considered human.

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #26 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:33am

don't you think that eating a half-burnt carcass of some animal that died in a forest-fire, and noticing better taste, easyer chewing and digestion gave them a first idea of a fire as a usefull tool?

and, tnx god, there is no such thing  as a weapon invented by woman, there are just weapons adjusted to fit woman's hand.

(tnx god part is because considering ruthlesness, shceming and the way out brain tends to die in your vicinity, we men would pretty much be doomed  Tongue )

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #27 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 5:12pm

O.K.... This maybe a bit off but here goes...In sniper school we learned that women are better shots than men. Thus they are employed as snipers in other countries. I'm only slightly better with rifel and pistol than my mom...took me years to beat her playing darts...woman fought with (beside)the men in alot of tribal wars/battles threwout history...

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #28 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 5:17pm

interesting fact... where did you learn that? Not saying its wrong... just wondering.

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #29 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 10:25pm

Hmm, that is pretty interesting. Did they say why? Or how they came to that conclusion?

It probably has to do with something mental rather than physiological. Perhaps women are on average more zen like when shooting?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)