Send Topic Print
neolithic sling (Read 7032 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
neolithic sling
Mar 15th, 2006 at 3:08pm

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall, when the first caveman ( we'll call him Tharg) made the first sling and tried it.
   Well, since we can't do that, we'll just have to ask ourselves; what was it that inspired Tharg to make a sling? What was it that he saw or did that made him sit down and try out the first sling?
   Any ideas???

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: neolithic sling
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 3:16pm

i'm no expert, but I've heard that the sling was inspired by rocks tied to strings (like a one weight bolas). Since cordage is a pretty valuable thing, and rocks fly better without strings attatched, some one decided to invent the sling.
(How many posts until someone says "how do you know it wasn't a woman who invented the sling?"Tongue:Smiley)

IP Logged

Taikis_Girl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 3:20pm

yes, who do you know it wasn't a woman who invented the sling?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 4:39pm

name one weapon ever invented by a woman. Women have more important things to work on in their lives than figure out ways to hurt and kill each other. Or so I like to think.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 5:10pm

anything you can use to fend of perv's Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

narya

Para nacer hay que destruir
un mundo

The Islands of the Ba'lé Yaroh
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:34pm

I'm pretty sure some weapon (one looking not so dangerous but deadly and cruel and... easy to hide) was invented by a woman. We can be much more dangerous than man, sometimes.

But anyway, I agree with MammotHunter: it's a natural/evolutive/call it however you want fact that woman tend to care about things that bring life, and men about things that will kill the ones who try to take THEIR "bringing life" things (a.k.a. woman, children, food, fire...)

3 erasers + some string + a bored me = my funny first but still working bola.
WWW f_quenya  
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:56pm

I think the sling is just a tiny bit older than the neolithic.

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:10pm

probably, considering no one know for sure when they were truly made. but in history when they were used, militarily ecpecially. it seemed they had been used much earlier in history because of how people, especially roman, greek, other great nations, used them as serious weapons.

i forgot the link but if i remember correctly the sling was estimated to be used 30-50,000 years ago? something like that. if thats the case, then it must have been well into pre history of humans, just a hunch. (my years are probably way off)

I should ask my friends dad, he's an archeoligist for ancient south east native americans. he said they used slings, but he didn't go into much detail. he seems more interested in the atala'tl,(spelling?) and the bow

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:16pm

just thought you may like to see this, it doesn't have much info on ancient slings but i thought it was interesting.

http://www.historychannel.com/broadband/searchbrowse/index.jsp?searchtype=search...

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 10:42pm

I think the sling was invented by a woman. However not for stone throwing but for baby carrying. Perhaps that could have help develope our favorite weapon. Maybe after seeing women carry babies with sling. Man thought he could carry supplies.Possibly after trying to throw supplies up on his back stuff may have fallen out. Thus sparking a revolution.    Yes I know its a stretch

IP Logged

invisiblejules
Tiro

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 10:57pm

dork, are you sure it's not related to the creation of the wild and exciting sport of baby slinging?  Wink

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 11:56pm

I dare suggest that it didn't "come from" anything. The simple observation that something on the end of a string travels faster. From that, the single stoned bola, and probibly the sling very quickly arose after that.

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 9:21am

maybe an acorn fell...and on its way down it hita vine..the vine made a full rotation after snapping and sending the acorn flying..its lucky one of our forfather saw that happen right Roll Eyes Lol

Taiki  
IP Logged

Taikis_Girl
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:07am

Quote:
name one weapon ever invented by a woman. Women have more important things to work on in their lives than figure out ways to hurt and kill each other. Or so I like to think.

i found somethin' what's not exactly a weapon, but can be used as one, and what the women invented! Or, to be more precise, used first

"Imagine yourself as a grandmother in a Paleolithic tribe. You have learned a great deal about herbal remedies and food preparation. Over your long life, perhaps forty years, you have prayed to the Great Mother and have become adept at reading the signs she gives you. It is a bitter cold day. Two of the babies are struggling to stay alive. As a grandmother you are no longer tied down to the cave by nursing and mothering duties, so you go out to gather herbs, hoping to find a remedy for the babies' illness. A storm comes up. Lighting strikes a tree very close to you, and causes it to burst into flame. You have seen this happen in the past, but never before have you been so close to the fire. It frightens you, but before you run, you realize that the fire is warm. You think of the cold, sick babies at home. It occurs to you that babies die more often in the cold part of the year than in the warm summer months. You put two and two together. The warmth from this fire might help the babies live. You're afraid of the fire, but you are also woman. You know how important it is to keep the children alive. So, driven by your instincts for the survival of your brood, you pick up a piece of dry wood and stick it into the fire. It lights. Amazed and scared, you rush back to the cave with this possible cure for the children. You make a pile of sticks and create a bigger fire. The sick children huddle around the fire, and they live through the night..."

so, this woman was the first to use fire!

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:10am

it is a very likely story but it does say imagine Smiley no one can prove this really happend but it does sound like something a mom or grandma would do indeed Smiley good find hunny  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)