Crochet a Sling? (Read 3540 times)
fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Crochet a Sling?
Mar 15th, 2006 at 11:34am

Hi guys, well I have acquired a new skill/hobby and that is crocheting! In this post
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10894094...
knitting is talked about and Matthias has a really awesome sling. I am wondering if anyone has ever Crocheted a sling? If someone has, could you post the instructions?  I started crocheting about 2 weeks ago and I would love to make a sling using 1 piece of rope. I understand the normal termonology of crocheting directions (such as st, sc, dc, tr, sl, ch and the such).

For those who are interested in learning about crocheting, go here. They have a killer forum also.
http://crochet.about.com

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Re: Crochet a Sling?
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 9:43pm

I wouldn't know, but wouldn't the weave be too loose?
-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 10:30pm

Nah, you could crochet as tight as you wanted. Same as with the knitting really. Working the sling in nylon is tough on the forearms - not at all lacy. If you are having trouble maintaining a tight gauge due to needle diameter or difficulty working the stitches, it is always possible to tighten up each row as you complete it.

As for the pattern, you should be able to pretty much follow the basic idea as my pouch (or come up with another), which is to work increases until the pouch is about wide enough, then taper into a parallel section before taking up stitches on the other side. Crocheters that I've known always seem to work pretty intuitively, while my patterns are usually worked out with mathematical precision.

I seem to remember talking about this before... Maybe an archive seach is in order.

Look forward to seeing the results!

Matthias

IP Logged

neil fletcher

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 3:56am

i've crocheted  several 

i just made it up as i whent  along

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:04am

thanks Matthias, I will just try and wing it. Hopefully it'll work great!  Ill keep ya posted.

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 11:43am

Ok well I just spent about 1.5 hrs crocheting a sling. This is my first attempt at freehanding pretty much anything with crocheting so lemme know if you guys have any pointers. It definately isnt as nice looking at Matthias Knitted one but its pretty close  Tongue

Any pointers?  I starting my chain, then sc the second row for the release cord, then I started to inc once every row in the pouch then decrease once every row . That finished off the pouch ok. Then I started another chain, and dc about 1 in then sc the rest till the finish. The over all direction of crocheting was as follows.

^^^ bad drawing i know but should get the idea

I like this sling, gonna try and make a multicolored one sometime.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 11:56am

Hey that's pretty slick! Fast too.

I've been wondering about knitting a pocket into a split-braid style frame, but maybe crochet makes more sense. You certainly would have a little easier time handling only one stitch at a time. You'd get the benefit of a solid cupped pouch using only one strand, as well as the ease of construction and strength of the braid. Incorporating colour would look great.

Are your increases along the edges of the pocket or "inside" the pouch? I've worked mine three stitches in from the edge, which causes the cupping, but I'm pretty sure I could get away with putting them closer. Makes an interesting pattern. One of these days we're going to have to start using higher visibility yarns for these projects Smiley Tough to make out much detail in both of our pictures... Where's Willeke? she's turned out a few real lookers!

Matthias

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 12:27pm

Last time I saw my friend I showed her the knitted slings and I said I should make a crochet sling some time soon, the next time I come to the site I see the start of this thread. So I think "Let me finish my current knitted sling and I make one," and before I have time there is a hooked sling.

So I will be second (or later,) but I will still make one.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 1:31pm

Well Matthias, I tried both, putting the increase on the edges and inside the pouch, I ended up putting the increases in the center. For some reason It just worked better for me. My next crochet one will be alternating colors or black and red.. mayb black and white. That will take a long time but hopefully it will be worth it.
I still like the looks of ur knitted one tho. Mayb when I get more proficient at crocheting I will be able to make it look as nice as ur knitted one.

Looking forward to seeing yours when it gets done Willeke.

You guys think if I actually write out correct instructions for crocheting one that it might be posted up as a guide? Not too many people( let alone 270lb guy college students) pick up crocheting but I thought it would make for an excellent sling.

And btw, Ive already slung a few with it. I love the little extra weight that it has compared to my plastic bag or thread slings.  It stretches about 2 inches total when I put a heavy stone in it but That really doesnt bother me.

Neil, I would love to see some pics of the ones u've crocheted!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 1:40am

Was that a volunteering for an article I just heard? Smiley

Absolutely - if you can write it up with some photos, Chris would be more than happy to post it to the instructions section. It would be a great reference - not too many people know how to crochet, but then again, most of us weren't too slick at braiding either!

You've got the wheels spinning in my head again. I'm going to see if I can work a pouch with center increases but knit lengthwise rather than back and forth...

Matthias

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 7:46pm

It looks pretty nice! I'll take it off your hands Smiley

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 7:56pm

If anyone really wants one, I would be more than willing to trade for one. No money... thats just silly, but if for say some of you have clay glandes (i'm at college w/o an oven) that you'd be willing to trade, I'd love that. Or even those flour oven baked glades. PM me if ur interested. I'll post that up on the trading discussion page. Though do understand, i dont have that much time, but what ever extra time i do have, i'd be making slings :-D

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 7:58pm

hmm... ill try to get my hands on some clay to make some for you... gimme specifics on what exactly u want em to be (size shape ect) and i might be able to arrange something with you... where do u live again?

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 8:03pm

wow that was a quick response.  I would love for them to be either acorn shaped or circular (acorn perferred). Size: about 1/2 the size of a tennis ball (even mayb a little bit smaller).

Most of my slings are between 20-24 inches long folded. I like them short because I am more concerned with accuracy. But If you want one longer, I'd enjoy making one. Currently I only have black and blue yarn, so pick a color too Smiley

I love this group of people!

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 8:06pm

i may be able to do that. I like blue... and somewhere in that 20-24 inch range sounds great... i have a 15 inch sling so it doesnt get much distance... anything is better... I'll talk to my art teacher about getting some clay.... plus i kind of need to know how to make them.. easy to do guide please im not good with complex stuff. Also... how many will you be needing? I should be able to get enough clay for quite a bit

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy)