Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Blacksmithing (Read 10910 times)
solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Blacksmithing
Mar 15th, 2006 at 11:27am

Hey is anybody else into blacksmithing... it's very useful in making these things, me and a couple friends have got a propane forge that we made and so far have forged knives, tomohawks, roses, a ninja star and a fork.  We're by no mean's pro status but we have fun with it and there aren't many limits on what you can do with hot metal...

solobo88  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Blacksmithing
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 3:02pm

I've made some things out of both iron and brass. I'm more of a dabbler-- if it looks interesting, I'll try it.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 3:44pm

I intend on doing some blacksmithing when I go up north to my property. Its all woods so a little smoke won't hurt . I'll use lobohunters coffee can forge which is so simple its cool (real hot that is). I do mostly filing projects right now. Look at my Ropedart thread on primative weapons . There are pictures of Lobos forge in some of his posts. They are still available . He specializes in railroad spike knifes it seems . Cheesy

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 5:33pm

blacksmithing seems like a lot of fun. the closest i've come to it, is heating up the blade of a knife i was working on with mapp gas,  to get a curve out of, and another into, the blade.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 6:37pm

the closest i have come to blacksmithing is not very close: i have re-habilitaed an axe, sharpening the edge of an old rusty hatchet that was about as sharp as a table with a file.
i also filed an adge onto an old steel ruler earlier today.  i sharpened exactly the lassst inch, it is a five or six inch ruler.  it is not a great cutter, i need to hone the edge.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 6:56pm

I am a bit. Wink

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 10:56am

I'm really an amateur too but I have a lot of fun with it... we found that wood can be used if you have a setup that can get enough air to it, which was surprising.  doesn't get the metal hot enough to forge-weld, but hot enough to shape... Wink

solobo88  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 3:37pm

Lobohunter had a plan for making your own charcoal out of wood . Its pretty cool . The gases are driven off with a fire set underneath a 55 gallon drun . When the combustable gas start venting a pipe redirects the gas underneth the drum further heating the wood/charcoal . When the flame stops you shut down the fire and let it cool off. You get high grade blacksmithing coal . I'll like to try that this spring/summer up north on my property . 8)

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

JPH
Tiro

It doesn't have to be
red to be hot.

Southern Nevada
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 7:10am

Hello!!

Blacksmithing?? someone mention blacksmithing???  I have been doing this for oh...35+ years now, the last 22 of which have been full time...

Might be able to help ya out with what ever ya need.

JPH

JPH &&Formerly (in)famous author and hammer head.
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 7:32am

Hey JPH, could you make up some of the ropedarts that Fritz the cat was talking about? If so how much would you charge for them and how long would it take? Cheesy

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 7:58am

Yeah ! That would be cool ! I'll save me loads of time. I'll finish mine by draw fileing and polishing . I just need it in the ruff . Smiley

It'll save hours of fileing. Tongue

IP Logged

JPH
Tiro

It doesn't have to be
red to be hot.

Southern Nevada
Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 5:01pm

Hello:

I am backlogged until well into 2008 for stuff, some things like composite swords, into 2009....plus my "shop time rate" is rather hefty.  From what it sounds like, if I am correct, you can pretty much do most work on that with a hacksaw, drill and a file...

If any of you need any help or anything, drop me a note...

JPH

www.atar.com

JPH &&Formerly (in)famous author and hammer head.
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 8:20am

Duh...? Hey JPH I thought you said you could help us out ? I've already filed and hacksawed and drilled a RopeDart . Tongue

Perhaps you could give us a hint on how to make that back taper like whats posted on RopeDart picture . That would help . I don't feel like wasting RR spikes experimenting and I do need some advive.  Smiley

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 12:31am

lol practically everything we make we make out of rail road spikes... we head down to the tracks and pick up the ones laying around, i think we have a five gallon bucket full...
what does the dart look like?  lengthening out and thinning rr spikes isn't hard, though if it has fins that could present a problem...

solobo88  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 7:10pm

Seems like railroad spikes are very handy  Shocked

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)