Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
slinging for non slingers (Read 2452 times)
MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
slinging for non slingers
Mar 13th, 2006 at 11:35am

I was slinging a 5 oz lead fishing weight (to which I had attached a 10" length of red plastic stripping so I could track it and locate it in tall grass) for the other day. As it turns out, it actually only weighs 4.5 oz, which is just about perfect for a sling glande, and I was throwing in a small field, next to which there was a baseball team practicing. I couldn't throw very far, at risk of hitting the baseball team in the next field, but using light, lobbing throws I was getting the sinker flying out of the sling and getting about 60-70 yards, one shot of which actually buried itself in the packed dirt field and had to be dug out with the aid of a sharp stick. So, the next day, a library patron came in and asked me if I had seen Troy. Told her I had, and it was better than Alexander (4 hours of words!)but Alexander did have slingers in it, which I, as a slinger, appreciated. She looked puzzled and said "slinger? Like *motion of whirling sling over the head* kind of sling?" Yeah, exactly! I said. She looked at me kind of strangely and said, "You must mean in a past life, right?" No, I told her, this one. She said "I didn't know there were people still do that!" So I laughed and said "More of us than you might think."

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Kold
Ex Member

Re: slinging for non slingers
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 11:49am

Very cool

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 2:49pm

You should have given her a demo. Cheesy

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 10:25pm

or this site. its pretty amazing how many people are into primitive technology once you get into it. it's a whole subculture.

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 1:49am

There are still archers, arn't there? And last I checked, people were willing to pay alot of money for certain smelly, living, out-dated modes of transportation.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 12:53pm

Hey! I enjoy that smelly transportation!
Anywho great story, are you a librarian then?
I love Librarians!
-Unsapien Grin

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:12pm

whenver i mention slings to anyone that i haven't already introduced them to say "what's that?"  i then pull out my sling, ramble off some statistics, and tell them to come to this site.  i sometimes even make slings for people if i have a string handy.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:33pm

bravo! ha, you should have shown her the website. It's amazing how many people do this stuff(primative weapons and such) however, i still have not found anyone who slings in my area. so far im still the only slinger on my road, city, and zip code! ??? i don't know why, but no one likes them like i do.

By the way, i'm going backpacking this weekend on a scout trip in the Apalachins. do you think i should try and sneak a sling in my pack? i doubt they would take it away or even get me in any trouble. they may make me put it away, cause its a weapon.

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:37pm

Yeah, I'm a librarian. And not the bifocal glasses pushed up the nose, button the shirt up to my chin, hair tied in a bun female librarian either. I'm the punk-rock/viking metal listening, 22 year old male librarian that went into the library to meet cute girls (mission accomplished!) and stayed because the pay is good and I like books, who also happens to be a primitive weapons/survival enthusiast. And I think I may have gotten my friend in Colorado to join the site soon. I was talking to him recently about how I sent a 5 oz lead weight drilling 4" into the ground  and he mentioned that he wanted to build a sling, so naturally, I sent him the link to our how to guide section and told him, "welcome to slinging.org!" He was silent for a second and finally said "this is really awesome!"

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:47pm

[quote author=harryman link=board=1;num=1142267733;start=0#7 date=03/14/06 at 18:33:19] i don't know why, but no one likes them like i do.

I have to agree with u... now one around here like slings like I do and most laugh (especially my little bro) when i pull out a rock and sling. They say I'm obsessed with it or something but who cares... I can still put a dent in their skull faster than they can think. Grin

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:53pm

i like your logic houndog Grin

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 6:08pm

I've goten other people into slinging,
I always cary a sling (Exept to school) and it has come in handy
At a pool party i had a lot of fun slinging water bombs at people (little balls that are deisingned to splach water at whoever they hit0

Also, at a water gun fight,using a water balloon i drenched the other team from the opisite side of the neighborhood then they were, and they started soaking nearby bushes and other sources nearby sources of protection trying to get revenge on the person who lobed the balloon
after a couple more ballons the had no idea wat the heck hit them, but they knew it wasn't a standard watar balloon launcher

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:21pm

Sounds awesome. I had my dad fill a bunch of doubled balloons (I couldn't tie the balloons shut). He made them so big that they would just plop out as I wound up, or they'd release too early. It was a disaster. Cry

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 10:37pm

Hah... You know how many times i've wanted soooooooooo bad to put a stone in my little sister's (7 yrs old  Angry ) head? but.... I haven't yet (keyword:yet)  Wink

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 10:40pm

She actually got my sling once and discovered the use of water balloons + slings... She was flinging them at me AT THREE IN THE MORNING!!!!!!  Shocked

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker)