Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Impact of sling stone (Read 13369 times)
Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: Impact of sling stone
Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:11pm

for someone who got all this in highschool i should understand what the hell you fellas are going on about Undecided all i get is Yurek broke that branch wich i think means it can break bone...not to mention Yurek is one hell of a good shot Shocked

Taiki  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #16 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:29pm

Maybe this thread ought to be Titled "Why MammotHunter Failed Physics but Enjoyed Every Moment of It."Impact ballistics always enticed me, but as you can see, I was never any good at it. so, I've learned something here. I still can't tell you what kind of force the rock imparted to the branch, but what I can tell you is, nobody ought to be standing roughly 1500 metres around Jurek in any direction when he's having a bad day. Wink

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 9:10pm

In terms of causing damage, flat rocks are really enjoyable things to sling. I've slung them before using the Greek style, and they cause some pretty insane damage. They don't bluntly smash anything like Yurek's rock did (insanely powerful hit, BTW) but they can cut off branches thicker than anything I can break with a regular stone, and they even manage to cause gashes into the trunks of trees. I once saw a gash from a flat stone on this one tree (think it was oak) that looked as if it was done by slashing the tree with a machete. Plus, flat stones make an awesome wizzing sound when you release them.  Grin

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #18 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 9:39pm

I love that sound!Smiley
Even though it means your losing power.

Making ballistics gelly is a little more involved than I thought, but if anyone is willing to try he's a link on how.
http://www.recguns.com/Sources/XD3.html

Speaking of impact,
I was slinging yesturday at my range with a friend of mine whom I believe is starting to really enjoy slinging. We started  slinging rocks at the targets, but had to stop because the ammo was disappearing. The rocks were drilling themsleves several inches into the targets. These targets were highly compressed rice straw (3 bales compressed into one smaller one), and were wrapped in a heavy plastic, with of course cardboard as targets.
I was amazed, these targets are fairly new. I helped put them in myself. My friend and I sling a few more stones to make sure we didn't just hit a soft spot.

Larger stones, 3/4 of a tennis ball, could not penatrate,
but roughly golf ball sized stones could,
and small pebbles hardly damaged the cardboard.

This expirence has given me more appreciation for a slings power. After slinging for awhile you forget how fast the stones are going.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #19 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 9:49pm

Quote:
as a side note: one newton is 9.8 meters per second squared.  this is the same as 32 ft per second squared.  at leat here on earth.  obviously this is varied slightly due to differences in altitude, so this is really just an average of sea level, but it works for a general rule.

No. One Newton is equal to one kilogram meter per second squared. Acceleration due to Earth's gravity is equal to 9.80 meters per second squared. So by multiplying 9.80 m/s^2 by the mass of an object in kilograms you can find the force gravity exherts on that object. However, I think we were more interested in the force the object exherted on the target it hit. For this we'd have to solve a collision problem. Roll Eyes

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #20 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 9:05am

Quote:
what I can tell you is, nobody ought to be standing roughly 1500 metres around Jurek in any direction when he's having a bad day. Wink

i can see it happen now people running in fear when Yurek leaves the house in a temper clutching his sling and a sack of stones Lol Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #21 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 1:25pm

maybe mythbusters could do a epersode regarding david and golith instead of trying to use a sling themselves they could fly jurek to america or get an apache to demonstrate

anyone thought of contacting them

listen to old people

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #22 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 11:11pm

Quote:
instead of trying to use a sling themselves they could fly jurek to america or get an apache to demonstrate

It doesn't seem like something they'd do. They like to do everything themselves.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reply #23 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 6:14am

Yurek,

Great Hit and recovery of the rock "whodunnit."

Close scrutiny of impacts has been one of my favorite parts of slinging.  That branch really shows both the force and "lumpiness" of the rock.  A femur would have snapped like a toothpick.

Slinging into the forest is particularly fun when you get a solid hit with a resounding "Crack."  With addition of Figure 8 technique I got two consecutive hits within 5 cm of a knot at 15m range.  I can now pick which tree is the target at 100m range and helped a tree across the river shed it's leaves last autumn with a few central hits that shook up the whole project.

Your trophy branch looks about right for a staff sling...

By the stone harvested
More stones to hurl.

AjlouniBoy

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #24 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 3:42pm

I'm sure, for some of you  it wouldn't be a big problem to crack that branch or even a thicker one. Besides, there is a significant influence of the mass of stone. For instance, if we are slinging two stones, seratim, a bigger and smaller one, providing to them an identical kinetic energy (in this case the smaller one must be faster: v = quadratic_root(M/m) * V), the bigger stone (M) is able to break thicker and stronger branches. So, looks like the momentum (m * v) is more sinficant factor if you want to break, overturn or crush a target (a penetration is an other quetion).

Saying simply, if a slinger sling a one pound stone with his full strenght (rather slowly due to the big mass), most probably the stone will make a bigger disaster among brunches, than a 2 oz stone slung extremally fast.

Quote:
By the stone harvested
More stones to hurl.

Thank you AjlouniBoy! I also like to watch results of impacts Smiley

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #25 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 9:18pm

I've found that... When you fling a small stone, no matter how fast, it continues to get stopped by branches... i grabbed a few large rocks and flung em into a bunch of branches and was able to make a path that i could basically walk into

(maybe im exadgerating... it took quite a few stones but all of them were big and devastating Tongue)

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #26 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 9:31pm

Birth of a new form of brush clearing?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #27 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:00pm

not nearly as much fun as slash and burn. I don't have many trees in my yard so wouldn't think of using them as target practice.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #28 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 12:23pm

There is an old medical treatise from the Middle Ages by a doctor named Celsus.
  In it, he states that sometimes the lead glandes would be stuck into the bone so deep, it was impossible to pull it out.
   What he recommended doing is make the wound wider, and cut it out of the bone by cutting a v notch.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #29 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 3:37pm

That sounds a bit painful.... but... what must be done must be done...  Shocked

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)