Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Impact of sling stone (Read 13258 times)
Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Impact of sling stone
Mar 11th, 2006 at 7:05pm

I know the subject have been discussed several times, but today I did a casual 'experiment'. Going back from our 'weekend snow-ball slinging' walk with my dog, I found an wrinkled stone. Of course, I couldn't resist myself and popped that one into a pinery. The stone hit and cracked a quite solid limb off. The pine with the limb was ca 30 m away. It would be nothing new and and strange, but the stone, after a moment, landed on the ground very close to the broken limb. Hence I got the both things back and took a few pictures of them. So we have got a small photograhic evidence of sling stone impact. I must say, the limb was so hard and sound, that I wasn't able to break them by the hands, using all my power, and sometimes sling stones can break much thicker limbs.

On the socond picture you can see some crushed layers that took a first part of energy. Imagine, what would be if it was a bone...

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Impact of sling stone
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 7:19pm

That's power! 8)

You are the man, Jurek!

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 7:36pm

Yurek
Great power..!
Still snow on the ground..? It was 79degrees here in Tennessee today..!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 9:00pm

That looks like a real good solid hit! Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 9:03pm

40F here Undecided rainy too Smiley

nice hit! ive broken branches off of trees too. I always thought that they where rotten, maybe i should look at them when they fall Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 9:27pm

I would say, that given the fact that wood forms in a very similar maner to bone, we can infer what would happen to a very thick bone if it were hit by a slingstone, expecially a chunk of ferric rock thrown by our own Jurek!  That's really impressive, actually. The best I've ever done was a stone thrown at a large tree which I managed to miss, but took off a branch about as thick as my thumb that was toward the outside of a far branch. Had the same breakage pattern and everything, but nowhere near as thick a branch, to be sure!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 8:35am

i often clip off smaller branches with my sling stones, and once or twice i have dropped some larger ones.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 4:26pm

I've broken branches too.
I particularly like it when you sling low, and many of the ground plants, fall in a line as if suddenly snipped with an invisable blade.

Although, many bones of the body are padded with fat or muscle there are a great deal exposed to external blunt trauma. Take the radius and ulna in the arm, or other long bones like the ribs or tibia, these are very vulnerable. The flat bones  in the skull seem particularly open to this assult.

If I remember correctly some martial schools in acient japan trained their swordsman in slicing/chopping limbs, by wrapping bamboo with straw mats. This would effectively simulate flesh on bone, and offer a more realistic resistance to the blade. I don't know much regarding this testing system, but you can find more if you look up "Tameshigiri".

I wonder if we couldn't set up a similar system for slinging, to measure a stones impact. Considering how much force might be obsorbed by skeletal muscle we might find some compeling results.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 10:26am

force=mass*acceleration, so if we take a 4 oz lead bullet, and send it forward at what? 120 mph? we could measure resultant force and compare that with what force it takes to break bone, we could find out what a sling bullet travelling at 182 kph would do to a human body. 20, 979 lbs/force is what I got, which is almost double what it takes to break a human parietal bone. or since the measurements were in metric, do I have to divide the figure by 2.2? regardless, a small glande travelling at even a moderate 182 kph has enough energy to crush a skull.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 12:03pm

Impact is measured in foot pounds, from what I understand. I got this from Robert Dohenwald, in his article, The Sling, the forgotten firepower in antiquity.
  As  he had it figured out, a 1 1/2 oz. stone would hit with a force of 52 ftlbs. This is roughly equal to being shot with a 22.
  As the weight goes up,so does the effect, exponentially.
  It only takes 18 ftlbs of force to penetrate the bones of the face

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 2:32pm

Compelling,
Does anyone have access to ballistic jelly?
-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 4:00pm

Who ya gonna call?
    MYTHBUSTERS!   Grin

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 4:48pm

Ballistics gel is more or less knox gelatin, right? The clear, unflavoured stuff you can buy in the market and mix in a bathtub? Get enough of it, insert some bones made of clay/sticks, set up your own private "Buster" and start hurling!

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 4:20pm

Quote:
  Impact is measured in foot pounds, from what I understand.

Force = mass*acceleration
Impulse = Force*time (how long the impact lasts, that is)

the SI (standard) unit for Impulse is a "Newton second" (N*s)

Note: a Newton is equal to a "kilogram meter per second squared" (kg*m/s^2) because mass is measured in kilograms and acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2)

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #14 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:08pm

as a side note: one newton is 9.8 meters per second squared.  this is the same as 32 ft per second squared.  at leat here on earth.  obviously this is varied slightly due to differences in altitude, so this is really just an average of sea level, but it works for a general rule.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)