Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buying A Sling (Read 4166 times)
Math Freak

Mmm...Math

Buying A Sling
Mar 9th, 2006 at 8:20pm

Well I havent been around for a while, I've been caught up in homework. Yesterday, when I was going to go slinging, I couldnt find anyof my slings. Then I found out that my brother cut it apart and used it to make his own crafts.  Cry So now, I need some new slings. I'm horrible at making them myself, so I need to buy it somewhere. Can anyone give me some sites that I can buy some slings, or can I possibly buy some off of a member here? Thanks.

Math Freak

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: Buying A Sling
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 8:26pm

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11412687...

you really should try making your own, it's a lot more rewarding. there are some excellent articles for people who don't know where to begin. theres a trading forum running, so you might want to trade for a sling there.

IP Logged

Math Freak

Mmm...Math

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 8:27pm

The problem is, I dont really have anything interesting to trade...

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 8:38pm

hmm... well i dont know if you've seen it or not, but Zorrro posted an excellent tutorial on making a medical tape sling. http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11405229...

fairly inexpensive but great end product. my good slings are just lengths of cord tied to a piece of an old boot. i actually made a sling out of grocery bags and duck tape that works quite nicely, you could make it entirely of of grocery bags too: some information and pictures in this thread: http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11398728...
a nice sling could even be made entirely from duck tape.

Just remembered! go to the Tibetan Village project, they sell some slings made in Tibet which I've heard many great things about on ebay.

good luck in finding/making a sling.

IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 3:43pm

When in doubt ... do as linus does

Take the security blanket you should be carrying around and use that to knock tin cans of of fences

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 3:54pm

Really, I would look at some of the tutorials on this site, and try to make one yourself. This way, it's truly yours. If you know how to make one, the problem of buying one never comes up again. I'm sure any one of us would be happy to help you along.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Math Freak

Mmm...Math

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 5:41pm

Thanks, I'll try your advice.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 9:58pm

It really is not difficult and with all the different patterns and instructions available you can let your creative impulses loose. Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Math Freak

Mmm...Math

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 1:39am

I know, but the main problem is that I lack a good string and pouch materials.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 4:50am

Shoelaces and denim work well for a start. Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 4:51am

Heck, you can even use old plastic bags. Cheesy

John Walker  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 10:51am

yeah, grocery bags actually work really well. there are 3 threads about them here. ducktape could make a nice string and pouch. you could get a few hundred feet of nice string at the dollar store for one dollar. Pouches can be made out of any material that you use for string.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 11:02am

You should be able to get hemp or jute at hardware stores. Wool yarn is also good

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 11:11am

I definately advocate using plastic bags. I am currently at college and didnt have the proper materials to start to make a sling but nonetheless I made quite a few using plastic bags. Give it  a shot. By far the easiest way for me to make one was to just make a really long string (3 braid plastic bags) out of plastic bags, do a sheepshank knot for the pouch and medical tape it together to make a really nice sling. From starting with only plastic bags and tape, that sling can be finished in under 20 mins easily.  Just give it a shot! You'll enjoy it more guarenteed! Grin

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 2:58pm

For anyone that's interested, there are places to pick up slings and other primative type weapons. Here are 2 sites
  Bulletproof Primative Supply
slingshot@usa.com
primativesupply.com

The other is primative weapons at
  primativeweapons.com

I also recommend a primative living magazine called the Backwoodsman   backwoodsmanmag.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)