Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
String Sling? (Read 2350 times)
ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

String Sling?
Mar 9th, 2006 at 3:51pm

Does anybody know where the link is that shows where you can make a sling from a single piece of string? 

I just took the string from a Nordic Track-Pro.  It is is 4 meters long.  It has a circular cross section.  It has a diameter of 4 mm.  It has practically no stretch to it.  It has incredible torsional resistance too!

Any thoughts of how I can use this string to make a sling?

I like to throw rocks, tennis balls, and golf balls. If I recall correctly there was a string only sling that was suitable for tennis balls.

Ben

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: String Sling?
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 4:11pm

hmm.... i'd chop up the string. two lengths for the cords, then use the left over for making a split pouch (not really split, probably a few/several strands running parallel). as for keeping the string whole. double it over. then knot it twice near the middle to form a split pouch (two strands) design. you'd probably have extra slack to take up in fancy retention loops, release cords.

i'd save it for something else...... otherwise use a pouch made of leather/medical tape etc. for a sling.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 4:18pm

I'd cut it into 6 lengths of string and just braid it Grin

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 4:30pm

good idea, for some reason i'm still under the impession that slings need to be LONG

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 4:51pm

I think you mean the sling in this thread: http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11273207...

Also very useful, maybe even better is the (medical) tape sling, http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11405229...
You can even combine them and tape the sheepshank sling.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 6:52pm

Ah yes the locked(?) sheepshank. It works like a charm. I made one once that was double- two strings and they were overlapped- so it had a 6 string pouch and was heavier. If the rocks fly out of the pouch you may want to try this, or if you are using lighter ammo.
I'm having a little trouble understanding the bowline knot pouch from the linked thread. Could anyone clear this up? My trouble seems to be that it makes one loop, like a retention loop, but it doesn't connect to another cord, if it makes sense. Here is what I mean:

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 7:43pm

You might have an easier time of it if you dissociate what your trying to tie with the bowline.
The bowline knot is usually tied at the end of a line. What you’re looking for is the locked version of the sheep-shank. It is simply tied. Look-up methods of making the sheep-shank it's very simply made.
(This knot is often used to temporally bypass a damaged part of the line, or shorten it), don't do anything fancy, and then simply slip the two cord ends through their respective loops protruding on their side.
Be sure to flatten it all out first, it makes things more even.
I wish I could post pictures to help you, but I'm still unsure how to do that exactly.

I hope that helps.

-Unsapien
Grin

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 7:34am

well going with the idea willeke gave us there is a toppic here somewhere where neolythe(i sure hope i spelled that right) weaves through that pouch to make it more solid works really well  Grin its he one i'm using for a fair few months now  Roll Eyes

Taiki  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:49pm

The bowline sling was made out of 2 pieces of string. Tie one into a small bowline on one end, the loop to goround your finger, and a bigger one on the other end, this is the pouch. Now tie the other piece of string in the bight of the bowline, that is the bottom most bit of the drawing of the knot above, and tie a knot for release knot in the other end.
There you have your bowline sling. (You can also exchange the place of the finger loop and release knot.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 6:05pm

Chaotic_Rage,
Nevermind what I was going to say about the bowline sling, Willeke got there first and described it better.

Another thing you can do, and one of my favorites, is take two cords and attach them to each other with
Prusik knots
.  The prusik knot is adjustable, but holds under tension.  The part between the Prusik knots is the pouch.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 6:14pm

i think that i'm going to climb up a tree with the prusik knot Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 6:14pm

I like the prusik sling better than the bowline sling, but could not remember the name so could not search for a link. (I am not sure it is the better sling, but it is easier adaptable.)
Thanks Dale for digging it up.

Willeke

edit here is a link to the sling made with the knot.
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11202771...

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 6:29pm

Thank you all. The bowline is so easy now that I see the solution! When it gets bright out I will be out there with a string sling from it. The prusik looks good too. The changing-pouch is a neat factor. Thinking about making a 10-foot sling with these knots  Smiley.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy)