Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
protect your braid (Read 4309 times)
Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Re: protect your braid
Reply #15 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 2:13am

What part of the sling broke? Did the loop break or did the cord that held the loop on the sling break? What sort of sling was it? Why am I asking all these questions? Tongue

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 5:49am

My slings are made to be fixed easily, so the cords are made of a shoe lace, with a fingerloop made of leather. The leather finger loop (on the release cord it's just a smaller loop) is connected like
this
, and it broke just where it is connected. You can see the whole sling
here
The reason why they are supposed to be easily fixed is that I'm out of leather, so I just change the cords with the leather on. And as the cords are easy to make just the same as the old ones, the sling won't change.

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #17 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 12:05pm

gard, that looks like a realy good sling.  i should try a design like that one.  i see what you mean about easily fix-able.  do you have many of those style break on you?  the only weak spot i see on that one is maybe where the pouch connects to the thongs.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #18 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 1:14pm

Quote:
do you have many of those style break on you?

What do you mean by that?

I have used the same pouch for almost a year, slinging pretty much (at least 3 times a week), and the pouch is just as good as new. Only the cords have been changed a couple of times.
You see, the leather where the hole is is doubled, it's an explanation
here
, so it's very strong. I've thrown stones up to half a kilo, so it sure is strong!

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 10:29am

awesome.  i meant only that soft leather can have a tendency to rip when alot of weight or pressure is applied to it, especialy if it is thinner, as in the spots where the cords are tied.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #20 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 11:34am

"what if you grease the first ten or so centimeters ofter the pouch on the release cord?  that may make for reduced friction, maybe some better releases?"

no, that's a poor idea imo. i have a polypropeline sling which has a braided split pouch, and smooth stones have slipped out. i think the pouch needs friction to hold the stone securely.
(in fact, sometimes i have had an accurate shot with this sling without even releasing the cord, as the stone has shot out a fraction before i release it. but i've retired it as it's unpredictable)

sv

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #21 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 1:36pm

"after", meaning not the part of the cord where the stone actually sits, but after that part of the cord.  i see what you mean though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15)