Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Ropedart picture finally ! (Read 31899 times)
Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Ropedart picture finally !
Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:57am

Heres a picture of my Ropedart as it is today . I intend on replacing the black rope with a braided one and the steel key links with a homemade blacksmithed chain of sorts . The rope is about 13 feet long . Its cut to my size and the dart was a railroad spike . The dart weights exactly a half pound which was no accident . I'm tring to get more people interested as some of the techniques feel like sling techniques . Cross training anyone ? You never run out of ammo... Cheesy Can anyone indentify the knot used to take up the lenght for carry ?

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2006 at 6:08pm by Fritz_the_Cat »  

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Re: Ropedart picture finally !
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 11:25am

Monkey chain maybee.
BTW how do you throw them?

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 12:25pm

yeah, best knot for that is the the one shown in the thread titled "headband/armband sling" in the general discussion section. I tied the monkey chain knot tightly... much more tightly than the knot shown in the picture  last night;  three feet of paracord condensed to slightly under three and a half inches, less than half of an inch wide... to undo, all you have do is tug. seems perfect for quick deployment/concealment of a ropedart

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 12:26pm

cool dart btw.

heres the hyperlink to the good knot... it's sloppy in those pics, but it can be done very neatly, and much more compac tly

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11414485...

EDIT: your embedded image is missing the first image tag so if you or an admin wants to fix that....

SECOND EDIT: is that a monkey chain knot in the picture? i can't really tell because the cord is black.

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 5:58pm

Arkani , its easy and fun . One rule NEVER JERK DART BACK EVER . I put a hole in my right shin once . That techinque might be useful in killing someone behind you by ducking to the ground...FAST.

In the traditional Wushu circles the Ropedart rope is looped around the left wrist then hand once . With both arms extended straight out sideways and the rope over the right thumb the dart barely touchs the ground . Hunting Ropedarts were made up to 25 feet long . When thrown the dart  just fell to the ground . If yours is the "Wu Shu" lenght stepping forward with the right foot and caching the rope before it hits the ground keeps the Ropedart in constant movement . Don't try this at first but just tie to wrist (left if you are right handed) and loop it around the left hand once.  Once secure like this make the rope into 2 or 3 loops held loosly in the left hand while the dart is twirled with the right hand . Use sling lenghts at first . With an underhand throwwith the right release the big loops with left hand . The rope is still tied to left hand/wrist. Thhwwiiiipppp ...(subaudible) thwaaangg! Its out doing damage . Step forward quickly and recatch with right hand allow to twirl overhand and throw again ....Thats the magic. There are more involved throws off the elbow neck ,shoulder and feet !! but you need a book or vidio for that . Wing Lam martial arts supply has one and you can watch Jackie Chans movie Shainghai Kid or the Scooby Doo movie for Ropedart like techniques . Also the movie "The Transporter Number 2" Has a rope routine which is somewhat related . Grin

Monkey Knot eh? Cool ! My friend says carpenters use it to take up electrical cords for their power tools . 8) It deploys quickly...

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 8:35pm

Ok,      
I hope you guys don't mind me opening my big trap.

Why is everyone calling the chain-link knot, monkey chain, or monkey knot? I have only heard it referred to as the chain-link knot or the chain-link hitch (when wrapped around something). This knot is actually one of the few knots I've seen that has some consistency in its name.

Would it be ok if we consistently name this knot chain-link? If only because using it is a great idea and keeping consistency for references sake can be beneficial for the future. I’m not so naïve as to believe we can make the names used completely uniform. However, we can prevent confusion here among us slingers or prospective hopefuls if we name things consistently. I don’t mean to be an alarmist; I just want to keep us from perpetuating a problem that’s plagued knot history since time gone by.

All that said, your dart looks beautiful!
I’m a little unclear on how you throw, do you throw it like you would Bo Shakren or do you swing/sling it?

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 8:47pm

That is an awesome ropedart! How did you make it? Can you make me one? Can I by one from you? WOW! Cheesy

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 8:53pm

Swing sling it and release like underhand throw of the sling but volila a rope attached prevents it from sailing away , ready to be deployed as its kept in constant motion .

I've heard of slingers question how to abort a hard hurl and actually use the loaded sling as a long blackjack . Well here it is ! You learn twining motions that could absorb the energy of an aborted sling . No injuries if you practice right . And there is sideways force also instead of a straight throw you can wrap it around someones legs easy . Or a Canadian Goose's neck. Grin

It took me a few days filing down a railroad spike after I cut the head off . A few hours a day a few days and it was done . A blacksmith could do it faster with 5 forged steel rings in the typical flower pattern .All you need is a Railroad spike or a 5/8 inch by 6 inch peice of bar stock to start . Wink

You can make a quicky of anything heavy , 1/2 lb to 1 lb , the approximate shape or even a ball or plumb bob will do . Smiley

They are available on the net by different makers or contact me on the trading thread . Perhaps we can talk Lobohunter into making some.. Shocked

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:02pm

What is at the opposite end from the spike? It looks almost like a Tsuba from a Katana Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:08pm

The Tsuba you see is a Ying Yang carbineer shackle that can be found for sale at Mountain climbing stores foy keychains . Backpacking websites might have some  . Mine cost $3 and its convinient to end the monkey rope knot chain thingy link knot  Grin

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:09pm

It'd be so cool to see a video of this! (Am I hard to please or what? Grin)

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:11pm

I'll try and if I tie myself up jumping around on one foot I'll send that too . I think there are some clips in cyber space with demos available. 8)

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:19pm

Is the ropedart three-edged or four? It's alittle hard to tell from the angle of the photo?

John Walker  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:27pm

yeah, google it. there are some interesting videos. you can really appreaciate it's concealability, fast deployment then.

video.google.com might have something too...

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:29pm

The railroad spike cross section was 4 sides about 5/8 inch thick square . I used a round section of cold steel for awhile it was only 3/8 pound. Remember it doesnt have to be a spike . A metor hammer looks like a plumb bob used in construction . You couls even make one out of a cukkoo clock weight if it was the right weight . I coulsd send more pictures tomorrow how to hold it and the Wu Shu range of specifications ie weight lenght cross section taper with and without ring chain . The norther chinese didn't have links and just tied the rope straight on the dart . I like the jingle jangle of the rings in flower position . Two links are not load bearing three are load bearing . Its 4 links attached to a single center ring. The tassle helps you keep track where the dart is  . It helps.. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)