Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prince Madoc and his Welsh Slingers (Read 1850 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Prince Madoc and his Welsh Slingers
Mar 7th, 2006 at 9:09pm

I have seen several accounts of Prince Madoc and his travels to America. I was wondering if anyone had heard any accounts of slingers being in his group. I know he was traveling with armed men, but I don't know if these were knights or men-at-arms. The Cherokee stories about their war with these men don't mention any slingers and no remnant of slinging appears among the Mandan or Hidatsa tribes to my knowledge.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Prince Madoc and his Welsh Slingers
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 10:17pm

Why would you think slingers would be with him? The Welsh are known for their archery...

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Leeds-Lobber

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:17am

Only after the 12th century - they had plenty of slingers prior to that.

Pat

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 11:19am

We are known for our archery but before then like Leeds-Lober said we where slingers.  But I have no idea if there where an in Prince Madoc's group.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 12:37pm

Prince Madoc is one of the hero- adventurers of Celtic England. Supposedly he got to America before even Saint Brendan. He worked his way across the plains, and lived with a tribe that became his decendants-- the Mandan. When the Mandan were first encountered, they had blue eyes. No other tribe has the. Proof,they say, the story is true.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 12:40pm

hmm... anyway to do dna tests?

there was a show on the history channel a while ago where they used genetics to prove that at least one member of the roanoake colony survived. quite cool.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 12:45pm

No one knows if Madoc was real.There seems to be no real time period that he did this trip. It's like trying to nail jello to the wall, you know?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 12:59pm

that can make things a bit tricky....

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 8:22pm

The Cherokee have stories about their war with white men who wore armour. The Cherokee finally won and the white men agreed to move away. They had built stone fortification and some of their armour was even discovered in burial sites. These stories were still common knowledge among the Cherokee by the late 1700s. 8)............These White men were supposed to be Madocs group.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 10:00pm

I rmember when I was a little child hearing stories about how the cherokee had been chased out of the ancestral lands by a group in the Great Lakes area, where they used to live. So, they spread out and eventually came south to the area where they live now. According the old man telling the story, the cherokee came into a valley and saw a village below them with people in it, who had light skin, and blonde to reddish hair. They said some of the cherokees stayed in the village and mated with the inhabitants, and even long ago, when the spanish first came to cherokee lands, they met cherokee people with blue eyes and some with lighter than normal skin. Of course, I also used to hear stories about how a cherokee archer, when meeting the spaniards could, with his longbow, put a war arrow through an armoured horse's chest. There's no real way, now, with so many cherokee and white people having interbred to look at modern cherokee and discern lighter colouration now from ancient lineages. I'm part cherokee, so I took it on myself to learn as many of these old legends and beliefs as I can.  This is one of the many stories I remember the best. There's another great one that basically says an enemy tribe from the north, maybe virginia or west virginia raided some villages, took slaves and molested some cherokee women while they were gathering water one day, and the cherokee, who regard women as sacred, took vengeance on the tribe and burned their entire village to the ground, with all its inhabitants trapped inside. Destroyed everything, the storytellers said, all of their  records, houses, everything. They just say that archeologists know that suddenly, the tribe no longer exists beyond a certain point.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 10:38pm

I heard the same stories. I think what happened was that the river cane arrows splintered when they struck the armour and slivers got through the links in the chainmail. I know at least one conquistador was killed by the Aztecs in this way.                                                                        

John Walker  
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 12:32am

Keep in mind the Cherokee were hardly nature-loving hunter-gatherers. They had their own forts, fields, and infestructure. Supposedly, they had one bow that was around 50lbs for hunting, and another that was very long and pulled about 80lbs. It was a bow designed for war only.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy)