Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick braiding question (Read 925 times)
Chosen-frozen
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Iwamizawa, Northern Japan
Quick braiding question
Mar 7th, 2006 at 9:52am

At least I`m hoping it`s quick.  Grin I don`t have any trouble with the strands I`m braiding, and I figured out how to add strands to a braid. But if I were braiding around a core can I add new strands to the core itself?

Can anyone explain how? Or know of someplace where it`s already on line?
Dave in Japan

Greet everyone you meet with kindness and a friendly smile....but make plans to kill them just in case.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Quick braiding question
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 10:02am

I suppose that could depend on how many strands in your core ... I would probably take a single strand of core and add a new strand to it with a taught-line hitch or a derivitive of the fishermans knot
http://www.scouting.org.za/library/troopscoutershandbook/ScoutersHandbookPioneer...

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 11:46am

Sometimes you don't even need to tie it in, just lay it along side and the subsequent braiding will "splice" the extra core strand in. I usually try to avoid knots in bradied slings, and use splices where possible.

Does anyone bind their core with tape or twine before braiding on a covering?

Matthias

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 12:58pm

Not me, I do not do anything to the core before braiding.
If you braid tight the cover will keep the core in its place.
If the core has the tendency to get away you can tie it losely before braiding, and undo the bindings just before braiding in. But I would not want to have the binding in the braid because it gives uneven places in the cover, and that is where the braid will start to damage.

I often use the core to add new strings to my work, or when I work without a core, use the space where the core would be to add to the braid, or to hide the end of a string taken out of the work. Being hidden in the braid there is no risk of getting out.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Chosen-frozen
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Iwamizawa, Northern Japan
Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 10:36am

Well thanks, I`ll give it a try.

So far all my slings have been done with a four strand round braid, but I want to try an eight strand hollow braid around a 4 strand core. I figure I`ll add 4 more strands just before I do the pocket and try weaving around the individuale core strands to make the pocket itself.

I`ll let you know how it turns out. Wink
David

Greet everyone you meet with kindness and a friendly smile....but make plans to kill them just in case.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris)