Send Topic Print
Hemp Braid (Read 994 times)
Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Hemp Braid
Mar 7th, 2006 at 9:47am

In one of my previous posts There is a photo of my slings. One is an 8-strand hemp braid split into 2 4-strand to make the pouch and then back to 8-strand as a finish. This sling was stiff for a braid, I thought, due to the hemp I used.

Untill  Embarrassed  I processed the sling with a trip through the washing machine. Now this sling is quite soft and fluffy. I don't think the overall strength was reduced by much and it does not whistle as much when I cast.  Grin

I may need to process all of my hemp braids this way. Any thoughts from the fiber-folk about processing a finished braid; before attaching to a leather pouch.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Hemp Braid
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 11:57am

You can never tell what a fabric/cord is going to look like until you finish it (follow-up treatment, not completion). It is amazing the difference that everyday textile processes  make to a rough fabric. The clothes I'm wearing right now have probably been scoured, brushed, flame singed, boiled and acid dipped before they even hit the dye vats.

Anything you assemble from fibre or yarn is the same way. We used to instruct people to *hot* water and detergent wash the (very expensive) exotic wool we produced and then beat it as hard as they could against a rough masonary wall or a sharp table edge. I'm almost sure that only a handful of people trusted us enough to do it...

You hemp probably had a wax/oil treatment added during the spinning/put-up stages that you washed out. The extra mechanical wear might have loosened it up a bit as well. If you ike the results, it's an extra tool for future slings. If you would rather have the stiffer braid, a PVA/acrylic dip might restore some of the texture and water repelency.

Matthias

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 9:51pm

i just love the stink of the hemp, so i made 2 hemp braided slings today.

(i have been slinging for just two sling trips now, but i learned a lot from you guys, so that made a start smoother)

i use standard 3-strings braid, but double them, to make it thicker (6 strings, treated as 3 - braided in pairs)

i am still fascinated with the simplicity of a one string sling knot, so i used it in this braided too, altough i do understand the setbacks of that pouch design.

they have a wrist loop, because i have no more skin to spare on my middle finger, one is from the tip of the fingers to the elbow (when doubled back) long, and the other from the elbow (hand down the body, than at 90 degrees) to the ground (also doubled).

shorter is intended for apache throws, wich i find easier to make with heavier stones, and the longer one for figure 8, and underhand with semi-overhead release (and a step forward), who are easier to control with smaller stones.

it's difficult do measure distance on a watersurface (i have a lake with shores of pebbels in a town, 1 hour tram ride away) because of a lack of land-marks for orientation, but i think i casted one more than 50 meters (with underhand).

is anybody else using a one-string-sling pouch?

p.s. today is a first day after the last trip (4 days ago) that i can use my right hand normally, with no soulder-ache.
damned apache Tongue

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 5:44pm

new report:

tried out the long sling. seems like my shoulder was still busted, so i couldn't whirl it standard underhand, i had to whirl it with my whole hand - right out from the shoulder. funny thing is that it's the way i cast my longest shots, and (considering direction only) the most precise ones too.

i'll have to work out those rotator cuffs, because my hand is pretty much useless now.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15)