Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sling length - folded or non-folded? (Read 607 times)
Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Sling length - folded or non-folded?
Mar 4th, 2006 at 4:20pm

Hi,

On the sling ranges page there are a lot of sling lengths given. Are these the overall length of the sling or the folded length? (Or may be mixed?) My folded 82cm sling (all sling braided according to Dan Bollinger's guide - thanks!) is comfortable in Greek overhand (1. style in David Taylor's guide - also thanks!) and Apache (L.W. Forsyth's guide - thanks!) style. My new braided folded 87cm sling seems to be to long after a quick test in cold snow weather. From that experiance I would assume that the sling lengths in the table are folded lengths, but I am not sure because of the longer slings there. Do these longer slings require other styles?

Btw. with both styles I get est. about 80m with 30-50g marble pebbles.  Is that good for these styles? Or what can I expect to achieve?

thanks,
Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Sling length - folded or non-folded?
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 4:36pm

I think over the couple of years of this forum, the convention has become to express sling length as folded, ....from pocket center to release knot(s) or similar place on the cord.

Re slinging 30-50g marbles, 80m is probably pretty good!  to get good sling action and range, I sling about 80g, and most slingsters here pitch more than that.

HOWEVER, we believe ancient slingers were in the habit of slinging weights as light as 20-25g in battle.  I dont know of anybody here who has really figured out how to get longer ranges (100-150m+) with such light ammo.   Those old guys knew something we dont.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 4:58pm

with the greek throws, longer slings make it difficult to throw a stone.  with longer slings you need to let the sling hang down next to you, and then they are slung up over your head, pretty much apache style.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 4:01pm

yeah just sling it in an arc i guess ? that always makes me shoot a Lot further then when i sortof go straight for my target(pretty obvious but that should be it right? Undecided

Taiki  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)