Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling Articles & Books (Read 8493 times)
baldeagle

Re: Sling Articles & Books
Reply #15 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 8:46pm

You might check way back in Scientific American.  They at one time had a really good article on slings and their application.  It was probably in the mid seventies, before things started being published electronically.

A note, ministers love slings to demonstrate for churches about David and Goliath, however never use a superball for demonstration, speaking from experience!!!!

By the way Goliath was out gunned, it was like a spear against a hand gun!!!

IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 11:56pm

Here's two books I found that talk a little about the sling.

This first one mentions the tribes in Tierra del Fuego that still use, or least when the book was written, slings for hunting. It also mentions the bola.

Coo, Carleton S. (1971). The Hunting Peoples. Bostan:
    Atlantic Monthly Press.

The next one talks some about the sling in Greece and presents a different theory on the clay bullets found there.

Perles, Catherine. (2001). The Early Neolithic in Greece.
    New York: Cambridge University Press.

IP Logged

gmasterodie
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 4:57am

hey something else what ammo do you guys make? i always make this http://www.slinging.org/43.html or i just take stones from the ground

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #18 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 11:17am

welcome gmasterodie! this isn't really the place to ask questions like that; it's more of a resources/research place. I'm sure however that there would be plenty of people glad to help you out of if you posted this in General Discussion. I don't mean to sound harsh but we're just in the middle of a reform to keep posts where they belong; don't worry about, we all made these mistakes as newcomers.

Anyway, Welcome here, I think that you'll find everyone very knowledgeable and helpful.

IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Reply #19 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 4:43pm

Vutiropulos, Nikos. (1991). The sling in the Aegean Bronze Age. Antiquity, 65, 279-286.

IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Reply #20 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 6:09pm

This one has some interesting things on the sling especially where it mentions the battle of Najar in 1367 AD.

Powell, John, ed. (2002). Weapons & Warfare: Volume I,
     Ancient and Medieval Weapons and Warfare (to 1500).
     Hackensack: Salem Press.

This one has a very basic description of the sling, but the interesting part is the quote: 'I have seen a native (of New Britain) knock a bird off a tree at about a hundred yards distance; they seldom pitch a stone further from the object aimed at then three or four yards.'   

Stone, George Cameron. (1961). A Glossary of the
     Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor: In
     All Countries and in All Times. New York: Jack Brussel,

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)