Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: clay glandes
Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 5:11am

Steven,
The fire starting glandes where only used very seldom, as far as we can work out, and may have been pebbles rather than clay in some cases.
If you fire your clay glandes, they become stronger, but will also stay pottery after they fall apart and take ages to recycle into nature again. Not a problem in many cases but something to consider if you sling in a environment where litter is prohibited.

But the main reason to use clay or sand glandes is that you do not need fire or a pottery oven to make them.
I do not know about you, but living in an apartment or townhouse it is hard to make a fire nowadays to fire clay.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 9:51am

Like I said, I use sculptor's clay, and I just roll the glande, shape it, and throw it in the oven on a sheet of aluminum foil until it gets hot and starts to turn purple. Toss it in the freezer to flash cool it, and then throw with it. Very simple. Very tough, too. I've never had a glande break on me despite impacts with concrete, trees, lightpoles, etc... I've even thrown one down at the ground as hard as I could with my hand, and it just bounced off with little more than a small chip taken out of where it impacted the street.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 10:18am

Thats tough clay!

If you have ever had those little easter eggs (the ones with the creamy gunk inside) its quite fun. When i get a good swing they splatter on everything within about 2 yds. I wouldn't reccomend going crazy though because it can be expensive... i just by 2 or 3 and sling em at the side of the house for a quick laugh.... and it actually cleans pretty quick if you have to. It also works better if you take the foil off and have it at room temperature... im thinking about experimenting with heating it just a bit to make the chocolate break easier... but i dont wanna mess up my sling with gooey chocolate...

SlingWolf

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 8:08pm

I once slung a rotten tomato, and ended up spraying a friend by accident.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 8:10pm

okay... umm.... DISGUSTING!

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 10:37pm

Quote:
I once slung a rotten tomato, and ended up spraying a friend by accident.

But MP has only trained us for defense against fresh fruit!

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #21 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 10:57pm

Suppose he's got a pointed stick. Grin

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:20pm

I don't think we're quite ready for pointed and wooden objects quite yet Smiley

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #23 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 4:24am

I made clay glandes, and in pretty much the same shape as Siguy - roll, pinch the ends.

They were slightly more than one-use when baked, and I mixed in ground straw to try and give them some more strength. But my experiments ended when I got my mold for christmas, now I stick to lead.

Pat

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #24 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 10:43am

Hmm, I wonder how much damage clay glandes would do. I don't have anything to work with, but I certainly wouldn't want to get hit with the fired clay that they use for ceramics. Hitting soft earth, those would be reusable.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #25 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 11:20am

I know from knocking one of mine against my head (that's how I test the hardness. If it hurts MY head, then it will break anyone else's.) that even at low velocity, I would NOT want to get hit with one. And to add to it, they tend to bounce when they hit something, which increases the chances they will hit something else. All of the sudden, a sling battle could turn into a painful pinball game.
And as for the defence against fruit, well, I'm an alumnus of that school, and I've moved on to the graduate lvl studies of defence WITH fruit.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #26 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 11:43am

The ones that I have tried just basically exploded when they hit. Lots of dust everywhere. I imagine that lots of these coming down would create quite a dust cloud. Also, if you put in pebble, you get shrapnel.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)