Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Skinny Cords vs Fat Cords (Read 7313 times)
Steven Wintegerst

Re: Skinny Cords vs Fat Cords
Reply #30 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:58pm

I think part of the reason for fat and skinny has to do with care.  Many fat cords tend to have frapping, where material is wrapped around the cords to protect the weight bearing fibers from damage.

Getting material of any kind is difficult for africans, and many ancients, therefore, they needed to protect what they had.  Palestenian rioters probably don't much care what happens to their sling at the end of the day, since it will likely get lost if they are arrested, and frankly, we too are not really concerned with protecting our property, since we can make new slings out of whatever junk we find around the house.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #31 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 1:35am

Quote:
i have noticed that it is easier to hit closer things with my slightly shorter, thicker corded sling, and that my longer, thinner corded sling is good for distances.

This probably has more to do with the fact that one is longer than the other. Longer = more distance, but less accuracy at a short range.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #32 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 7:11pm

Just in from an hour of pitching my standard test ammo, ...tennis balls weighted to 3oz with BBs.  Used 2 slings of the same length.

1/ Fat Corded - Cords made of 5/16" braided "Poly-Pro".  This is the lightweight tubular yellow rope often used by boaters.  Joints are made by splicing with a fid.  Neat.  Grip was "Forsyth Apache".  Style was nwmainitou fig 8 overhand.  An end splice in the release cord gave an even fatter grip section.

2/ Thin Corded - Cords made of 1/8" braided white nylon cord.  Grip was knollslinger 2-knot.  Style was again nwmanitou fig 8 overhand.

Results - Perhaps a very slight reduction in range with fat cords.   BUT a huge increase in "feel of control".  This was reflected in much improved accuracy with fat cords.  At distances of maybe 80-100ft, I was putting 3 balls into a 6ft circle in a regular basis.   Nothing even close to this with thin cords.

Action - Thin-corded slings into the trash.  Rebuilding "arsenal" with fat cords and "Apache" grips.

FYI

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2006 at 10:07am by mgreenfield »  

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #33 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 7:14pm

Welll thats interesting Smiley

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #34 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 10:35pm

But... but.... I like my paracord slings! Thick cords take more work!

As you said, "time to rebuild the arsenal". Thanks for that side by side comparison.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #35 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:00pm

Isn't paracord thick? I thought thick = paracord and thin = braided. ???

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #36 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:23pm

If you want to see paracord, check out the headband thread I started, it's the cord material used in the first sling shown. Some braided materials are probably thinner, but most seem to be a lot thicker.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #37 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:59pm

Would you consider the cord in my "super-adjustable sling" thick or thin?

(it's 0.5 cm or 3/16" thick, but certain parts are doubled over and certain parts are knotted)

&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #38 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 12:16am

i'd definitely say thin... but it's all relative. look at mgreenfield's numbers.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #39 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 8:40am

...but now this means I gotta learn how to braid & take the time to do so.      Dang!  

But also, the thick-cord/Apache grip combo feels like it:

1/ Makes the motion of the pocket "more predictable" in windup.

2/ Gives me more time to put power into the pitch.

And I think these make me much more inclined to add body motion and a bigger arm swing to the shot.  In time this may let me reclaim the little bit of lost range, ....and maybe even increase range over what I was getting with thin cords.

Now wouldnt that be an unpredicted result??

I'm thinking sling cords need some "just right" amount of linear and/or torsional rigidity for a sling to truly feel and perform best.   Thick cords have a chance of offering this "just right" rigidity.   Few (none?) thin cords can.  Thick, firm, round, multi-strand braids may be best because they can offer the most torsional rigidity.

How to figure this out??   Nuts!! Truly great slings may be more complex devices than we think.

Finally, slings set up for the Apache grip can have a "whip-cracker" on the end of the released cord, and produce a very satisfying loud pop with every shot.   Slinging life is getting better every minute!!

I'm off to Willeke's braiding websites!    Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2006 at 12:54pm by mgreenfield »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15)