Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Skinny Cords vs Fat Cords (Read 7309 times)
AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Skinny Cords vs Fat Cords
Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 12:45pm

Nice thread on skinny vs fat cords.

I agree that fat cords are less likely to tangle and are more efficient to use for accurate close to medium range throws.

My early slinging buddies had some Lebanese shepherd slings woven of wool.  They were short ~50 cm and had cords ~1cm dia with a heavy shank on the retention side. 

This ~2cm dia shank extended  from the pouch then tapered to 1 cm for the rest of the cord.  Seems that the shank provided extra stability which was helpful during our hairy early slinging days.  A tightly woven cup shaped pouch was also helpful.

The Assyrian slinger bas reliefs also show short slings with fat cords (and very redundant length of release cord as discussed on a prior thread.)

The Roman soldier on Trajan's column also has pretty fat cords of moderate length to throw his cape full of stones.

For the hard working "Utility Slinger," short fat cords are the way to go.  Heave a lot of heavy rock at your opponents or accurately guide your sheep without premature slaughter.  If your sheep have wandered so far astray that you need a long skinny hurl to reach them, then they are probably in a lot of trouble already.

Long skinny cords certainly have their place.  If Roman slingers were truly hurling lead glandes at targets 600 yd away, they must have been using long skinny cords and light pouches.

Once again function follows form.

The more slings and tricks a slinger has up his sleeve or in his pocket, the better.

AjlouniBoy

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #16 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 3:48pm

also, bernini's david had a short, thick corded sling in his hands.  here is the link the  discussion in another topic.
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11384266...
i look at a pic of this sculpture everyday when i am getting my project down from its shelf, and consider the stance and sype of sling he is holding.  bernini may have made it short and thick only to make it a little easier to carve the thing out of marble, but perhaps it is accurate.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 4:00pm

Maybe a sling with both types of cord would work. It could have thick cord near the pouch, but thin cord for most of the sling. This way the pouch end would be heavy enough and the rest thin enough to not be too air resistant.
An advantage I can think of for thick cord is that it is easier to untie if you want to. You could adjust your sling this way, maybe changing a 4' sling to a 2' one.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 8:21pm

Quote:
I picture them wearing them as a head band or a belt with a knot that can be untied with a simple pull.

The picture I saw (below), now that I actually look carefully at it, doesn't look like it could be "untied with a simple pull". It looks like the slinger would need to slip the knot under the two ropes and then again for the other side (sorry if that's a bit confusing). Does anyone recognize this knot?

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #19 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 8:42pm

don't worry, it made sense. no, i dont know what the knot's called. for a headband/belt/anything that comes undone with a simple pull just use a chain knot. i think thats what it's called anyway. you just make a loop in the cord, and make another that pulls through the first. a third through the second and so on. another benefit of this method is that you could tie the sling this way with just as many loops as made the perfect length for a headband or belt.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #20 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 9:35pm

is this what you're talking about?

If so, it's called a "Chain Hitch Knot"

Has anyone actually tried wearing their slings [successfully]?

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #21 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 9:53pm

that not the knot i'm thinking of.... Sad

anyway, i think that this might be it. the knot used on the white strings, he calls it a chain knot too. http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11005923...

anyway, i used this knot to shorten my sling, and using a method i can describe with words, i used my toggle, to keep it from coming undone, meaning no knots to untie. I'm wearing it right now about my head. let's see how long it takes to undo...
fifteen seconds! that includes taking it off and trying to figure out how i made it stay so perfectly. i think that with a bit of practice it would be about three seconds max. just pull the loop off of the toggle, and tug.

quite awesome. i should note that i'm using paracord. this method wouldn't work so well witha thicker sling. and i'd never do it to a nice sling braided from alpaca fiber/wool, that sort of thing, though i suppose you could.

the 'chain knot' makes it look kind of cool too. if it were split pouch, you'd never guess it was a sling. ok well maybe we would, but definitely not anyone else.

btw, my sling is ~70" end to end. this would be even easier with a shorter sling.

i'll get pics up apprx thirty hours from this post, then this will make some sense.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #22 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 10:18pm

Well, I found another picture af a "chain knot". This one is quite clear. I keep getting something that looks like this when I google "chain knot":

&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #23 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 7:09am

right, what i'm thinking of isn't a chain knot then. it's a very strong knot, but if you unsecure it, one tug and the whole thing comes apart, i'll be able to post pictures in ~18 hours

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #24 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 1:18pm

The easiest knot to use to tie your sling is this:
Do not pull the end all the way through, just make a loop, to undo the knot, pull on the end.
If your sling is very slippery you can pull the end through the loop again.

I would call it a slip knot.
If you pull the end through as a loop, and repeat that you get a chain knot. Like the one in the last picture Altay found.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #25 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 5:44pm

Skinny release cords are my personal favorite

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #26 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 8:29pm

i wear my sling all the time.  i actualy carry three on me at any given time, though; a (relatively) skinny braided cord sling wrapped up in my left hand pocket, a very thin braided string in my wallet, tied into a three-strand pouch like illustrated in one of the articles(excet that i couldn't figure those knots out so i made my own up), and a (relatively)thick braided cord sling looped around my beltloop and tucked into my left hand pocket(see pic).  not to mention(even though i am mentioning it) the amounts of strings and rope i usualy have in my backpack for when i get bored during class.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #27 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:04am

my post on the headband sling became very large, and since it dosn't belong here anyway, i posted it at http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11414485...

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #28 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 2:07pm

Just pitched a bunch of tennis balls weighted to 3oz with a home-brew fat-cord sling.  Grip used was the full-fist, close, "Apache" grip.  Accuracy is yet to be developed, BUT there was very consistent placement of the tennis balls, ....which could make good accuracy possible.

Both overhand and underhand deliveries were used.

I'd say this grip on fat cords makes the pitch feel more natural, ....like throwing a ball without the sling.  Also, the "feel" of a good pitch is definitely more different from the "feel" of a bad pitch.

Tennis ball range was comparable with that using other slings/grips.

I have a braided wool "fat cord" Peruvian sling.  The real thing.  I note that when it's gripped "Apache" style, there's about 3 inches of "extra" release cord protruding from my fist.  This is consistent with the pictures of the Sumerian army slingers.

Conclusion:  For practical slinging where you're actually trying to hit something, the natural feel of fat cords and the "Apache" grip may be the way to go.  There doesnt seem to be a big range penalty using this grip.   Further, "native slingers" ancient and modern may have also figured this out.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #29 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 4:28pm

the past couple of days we have been having very nice weather here, and i have been slinging alot.  i have noticed that it is easier to hit closer things with my slightly shorter, thicker corded sling, and that my longer, thinner corded sling is good for distances.  i also notice that i am far more accurate using a sort of over head throw that i use, and i get much more distance using an underhand throw.  obviously, everyone's results will vary, but maybe this is a sort of rule of thumb that everyone can try out?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)