Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spreading the love...  Evangelising Cambodian (Read 1416 times)
justbarak

Nashville, TN
Spreading the love...  Evangelising Cambodian
Feb 27th, 2006 at 6:26am

I have effectively brought the art of slinging to Cambodia.  This last week I spent 5 days in Cambodia's southeastern province of Takeo.  One project I visited was a dormatory that allows teenagers in isolated villages to attend high school at schools in other districts.  The dormatory is run by staff who help educate the teens in vocational skills such as methods in agriculture and livestock as well as basic concepts in health and community building in their free time which go to help support the dorm, but also provides the students with skills they can use to improve their families lives back in their village.  The afternoon I was there was hot and dull and everyone was sitting out front on the porch gazing out over the stubbled rice field.  I absently-mindedly chucked a few dirt clods into the rice paddy (by hand), scaring up the fish and dragon flies.  One of the guys came over and challenged me to throw a dirt clod all the way across the rice field (about 100 meters); probably because Cambodians find my stature of 5 foot 11 inches monsterous (compared to their average 5'6") and capable of inhuman feats.  I laughed and said I could throw it twice that far; which was greeted with laughs and skepticism. 

Pulling out my sling I casually selected a chunk of hard clay, stepped back and let it fly in a smooth overhand figure 8 and watched as it sailed 150 meters across the rice paddy; exploding on the trunk of a palm tree behind which my company vehicle was parked.  After re-starting my heart, I spent 2 hours educating 42 high school guys in the art of slinging, after which I bequeathed them my sling so they could embark on their own adventures in near-distructiveness. 

It's quite possible that when I return, they will have evangelized their entire high school of 500 students who will then spread the love throughout their communities...  I considered it a good day.

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Spreading the love...  Evangelising Cambodian
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:09am

One small step for a man. One giant leap for slinging! Grin Grin............WELL DONE!!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 9:29am

Excelent  Grin

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

p.Qolla
Novicius

39° 34'14" N       74°22'45" W
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 9:51am

Way to go, bro!

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:37am

sweet! how/why were you in Cambodia? great to hear that word of the sling is spreading across the globe.

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:40am

Nice job. It's cool to see that the art is still being spread and i hope they carry on slinging and pass it on to future generations.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:48am

Very cool.  Sounds like a good way to waste an afternoon.  And you've given them a survival skill, too.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Re: Spreading the love...  Evangelising Cambo
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 3:38pm

Well, done.

Handing down th wisdom of the ages. I do hope you emplored them to not aim for their teaches, or classmates?

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 10:15pm

Next thing you know they'll be hunting down birds to stop the bird flu with a sling! Grin

Great story Justbarak!  Let us know how they do the nest time you see them.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:24am

Nicely done, haven't seen you around here in ages so I assume your work has been going well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker)