Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Sling... & Maru Dai example (Read 3587 times)
MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Re: New Sling... & Maru Dai example
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 5:55pm

Camels naturally shed, and their wool is very lightweight, soft and very strong. Some nomads in the gobi use it as a packaging material and as stuffing for pillows, clothes, etc...
And, finally, can anyone explain to me how a marudai works? I could probably build one on my own, but I'm bloody useless when it comes to looking at a machine and figuring out how it works. All i see is a bunch of thread hanging around a group of poles and some plates with holes in their middles. And what is meant by an 8 strand braid around a 16 strand core?I'd love to make an inka style sling, but I have no clue where to start.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 9:56pm

invisiblejules:  Getting braids tight can be a pain.  When the andeans do it, they are of course pulling the strand's tight and then holding them in place with their hands.  But with the maru dai you have to use counter weights.  I would maybe add a bit more weight to the bobbins and counterweight to get some extra tension.  But mine really don't weigh all that much.  Never weighted them though.  What I do, is about every 4th step or so I grab the opposing strands and pull them tight (so pinch the top and bottom group of strands right at the base of the braid and pull and then do the same for the right and left set of strands).  That seems to get everything nice and snug.

MammotHunter:  The maru dai is the Japanese answer for braiding complex braids.  the number of strands (4, 8, 16, 24, etc) refer to the total number of threads/strings used to braid the sling.  This is often divided into the number used for actual braiding, and the number which make up the core.  So take for instance parachute cord or climbing rope which has a core and then the braided sheeth around it.  Same thing for andean slings except that the core generally serves to add additional colors to substitute into the braid as opposed to providing strength.

So for example, the sling here is a 24 strand sling.  Initially i used 8 strands to braid with (the solid green part) and 16 strands made up the core (the 8 strands were just braided around the 16 as you see in the maru dai photo's).

Then I switched and used a braid made up of 16  strands and put the remaining 8 strands in the core (the white and green diamond pattern).  The more strands in the braid the more complex the patterns can be but the more time it takes to braid a given length. 

The Maru Dai allows the braider to handle a lot of string without getting confused (or at least go totally mental).  The Japanese make silk ropes of up to 144 strands.  The strands are wrapped on the bobbins and crossed back and forth to create a braid.  The braid can be round, square, flat, triangular; and it have color patterns that are striped, diamonds, spirals, etc.  The shape and pattern are determined by three things: (1) the number of strands and colors used, (2) the initial layout of the colors and strands on the maru dai (3) and the sequence of movement used in crossing the bobbins.

Sounds complicated and it can be... but you do a few 4 strand and 8 strand braids and then the 16 and 24 become pretty easy.  Mostly it's just long and boring work with a really gorgeous result. 

The pocket on the other hand is where the skill and frustration come in  Grin  I've found I rather like braided slings with a core b/c it keeps the braid from stretching which saps some of the energy from your throw. 

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 4:25pm

MammotHunter
If you want to try braiding with many strands, a braiding disk or a Maru Dai is a big help.
I like the disks, very easy set-up and almost foolproof.
The braiding stools gives more posibilities, the Japanese as well as the Ashley Book of Knots version.
In that book there is a 61 string braid, with a 5 pointed star for a cross section.

For some beginners instructions on the disks, have a look at my website.
http://knopen.ismijnhobby.nl/tables/braid-disk_table.html

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15)