Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Sling... & Maru Dai example (Read 3583 times)
justbarak

Nashville, TN
New Sling... & Maru Dai example
Feb 27th, 2006 at 6:00am

well, I just completed an Andean sling.  I haven't made one in over a year.  This one is from Alpaca and camel wool.  It came out pretty sweet.  I'm pleased with the design.  For those interested in the technicalities, the retention cord begins with an 8 strand braid around a 16 strand core then moves to a 16 strand braid with an 8 stranad cord.  The cradle is a split pouch with a three color design.  And the release cord mirrors the retention cord except that it tapers down to an 8 strand core at the end for a nice light tail. 

I remembered someone asking about maru dai's in a post somewhere in the distant past.  I don't use anything fancy.  I put a hole through a cardboard disk on top of a Quaker Oats cyclinder which had a corrosponding hole through the center.  The cardboard disk was about an inch longer in radius so the spools did not lie up against the cylinder.  A few holes cut in the side of the Quaker Oats container let me see the braide as it was being made...  For the core, I got sick of holding the hairy thing in my mouth and salavating all over my sling, so I bent a coat hanger to stick out over top the maru dai to hold the core out of the way...  It works like a charm; hopefully you like to eat a lot of oatmeal.  The bobbins are just wooden spools I got from a craft shop and put bolts through with a bunch of washers and nuts to increase the weight of the bobbins.  And a little pouch full of keys clipped to the braide inside the maru dai serves as a counter weight.

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Re: New Sling... & Maru Dai example
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 9:30am

It might have been me asking about Maru Dais . Willke guided me to a braiding disk with slots cut into the sides to retain the string . I braided a nice sling with a deerskin covered pouch and my dog ate it . I might be able to fix it with medical tape . Cry

Congratulations on your sling . What was the name of the 8 strand weave? I did another sling with a cardboard disk using a braid I made up . It has a curious spiral on its surface and in an experiment I was able to braid with a core . I tries looking it up in a book and I think it was called an 8 strand angled sennit . The numbers asociated with describing the braid seemed backwards . Are there different ways to describe braids?

How long did it take you ? I spent most of my time shooing the cats away and giving my Great Dane dirty looks  Sad. As long as my Mastiff doesn't play tug of war with mine I'll finish another out of hemp next week .
Cheesy

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:32am

looks awesome! i've been waiting to see a sling made out of alpaca fibers

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:50am

Beautiful.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 3:07pm

Fantastic Barak.

I hope you serious about migrating non-blog-continentaldrift content over. The links are all broken today Cry

Looks like you guys are doing well in Cambodia.

Matthias

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 10:20pm

Beautiful sling!

How long did it take you to make one? 
With skills like that, you can start a business selling slings!  Do you have any you'd like to trade?

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 2:45am

A single color sling usually takes me abotu 30 hours.  The color substitution and the pattern in the pouch increased my time to about 50 to 60 hours.  I stretched that out over 4 months Smiley  The wool is really durable, I've been impressed with it in years past with other slings I've made.

The eight strand braid is just a hollow braid.  Most braiding patterns and styles have specific names to describe them, but I don't know if they are universal. 

I actually bought a bunch of alpaca and sheep wool to do some traditional type slings in my spare time with the intent of selling them as a fund-raiser for some  personal project needs here in Çambodia...  But they are not exactly a time/cost effective endeavor as your can imagine so it might take me a year to build up my stock...  I might test the waters on ebay or something with one or two in the next month or so just for fun.  Maybe they can be limited collectors items Grin

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 6:50am

Let us know when you start selling them. 

What kind of personal projects, may I ask?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 3:01pm

JustBarak,
please offer them here, for the price you want to raise, before offering them on e-bay. Let the real slingers have a go before the 'I want to pay as little as possible' crowd on e-bay.

I like the simple Maru Day, very effective too. And what a beautifull result.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:58pm

ok ok ok   Grin  I'll put them up here.  I can't make any promises for time though.  It'll be a couple months at least for me to put together half a dozen slings or so.  I'd put them on my site for simplicities sake and then post the notice here in the forum.

One item I'm working towards getting is a motorcycle.  Imagine Asia and you picture a 100 bikes and honda motorcycles on the road.  Although my organization covers project costs and provides a living stipend (and a fairly decent one for most non-profit orgs), it's still  expensive to get around by taxi - motorcycle taxi - which is my main mode of transportation.  Safety is also an issue since you never know the competancy of your drivers  Tongue  I've had lots of near misses and a few hits , and half the time we're on the wrong side of the road, weaving in and out of traffic, etc.  I prefer to be the master of my own destiny.  Also, owning a decent dirt bike allows better access to some of the more remote areas of Cambodia, especially in wet season.

The other item is a digital slr and zoom lens.  I do a lot of amature photography and as you can imagine, all my projects are very donor driven.  Being able to communicate the needs and the successes to donors is critical for funding and one of the major ways we do that is through photography and stories.  I've gotten by with a film slr but film is hard to develop here and scanning and sending it to the USA office is very difficult.  I do own a point and shoot, but it's really hard to capture the emotion and breadth of what happens here...  So anyway.

Neither one is critical for community development.  But they are tools that would be extremely helpful in the work here.  I probably won't manage both of them which is ok, but I figured I could probably save up for one (probably the camera - I can brave riding the moto taxi's every day if I have to and rent a motorcycle for the times that I need to get out into some of the more remote areas).

Thanks for your interest guys.  I definitely intend to keep up my website (http://www.continentaldrift.net) and I will make the effort to port over the sling making photo's so that they are available again.  My high ideals to improve that have gone by the wayside... but someday I hope to put together a complete Andies Sling-making Guide.  The Wiki is AWESOME!!  Brilliant idea.  I had thought about having some kind of comprehensive slinging site, but had neither the time or knowledge to do so.  The Wiki is a sweet solution. 

Peace,
Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 5:29am

Did you know that the word "honda" means "sling" in spanish? Grin  So you are selling a few hondas to get yourself a Honda!

IP Logged

invisiblejules
Tiro

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 11:59am

Thanks for the great pictures, especially that one of your maru dai setup! I had also asked about alternatives to a store-bought one and ended up making a pretty nice one out of plastic, but it was too flimsy and fell apart. I think I'll try one like yours. Also, when I used my maru dai, I wasn't able to get tight braids; would that be because I don't have enough counterweights? Or not enough weight in the spools (empty film canisters)? Finally, where can I find more diagrams for maru dai braids? I have found two: here and here (Willeke's page). Does anyone know of any websites with more diagrams?
Thanks lots!

IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 2:05pm

beautiful slings.
great work!!!

Sander

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 2:27pm

that has to be without a doubt, one of the singlehanded prettiest slings I have ever seen. I must have one. Of course, if I were the proud owner of such a work of art, I wouldn't sling anything less than glandes of pure gold with it. A common rock would just not suffice.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 4:10pm

Where and how do you get the camel wool? I would think a camel would get rather pissy about being sheared Shocked............Great looking sling though. If you sell any I'll buy one for sure.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)