How Accurate are You (Read 3653 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: How Accurate are You
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 10:02pm

CanDo,
Cool stuff...
I aim by getting a good anchor at full draw, then with the right eye, I sight down the arrow. The Left eye focuses on the target. The target is in focus, the arrow tip is blurred. I learned this technique from a book on Kyudo (Japanese archery). I shoot 25-30 yards at a target that is 18 inches diameter with another circle within that is about 7 inches diameter. With my primitive bow, I can put 12 arrows in the target and about half of the arrows within the inner circle ...
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:39pm

"what is the apache style i hear so much about. is there any footage, stills, or good explanation out there? from reading, i can't really figure it out "

CanDo
I am getting a bit confused myself...I heard that the apache is a style of slinging but also in other posts people refer to it as a type of sling so maybe its both...
The "apache style" I use was described to me this way:
The apache style is used to throw (anyone that is certain please correct me if I'm wrong) from standing somewhat behind a bush or obstacle at a game animal no too far a way(at least thats what I do without the bush though) The idea is to load the sling one handed without making too much motion to scare the animal away then slowly lower it to just above the ground beside you (at this point you are standing with you opposite shoulder facing the target) When all is ready and you are standing there not moving as to not scare whatever it is away then just fling the rock up and over your head (kinda like the overhand without the movement) and release when you point to the target. I prefer a larger stone for this type of throw so that I can feel the weight of the stone as it flies over my head and I wont have much slack in the sling therefore not lobbing it way over the target. The size is maybe a little smaller than a baseball. If I am off in my description please anyone HELP!!!! Thx
Hope this helped somewhat CanDo.
Happy Slinging!

IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #17 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 1:59pm

Nice stats indeed, Lobo!

But to everyone confused about the Apache style, it's both a slinging form and a type of sling. The type of sling is probably nothing any of you haven't seen or thought of. It's basically a braided sling woven into a leather pouch.

This article basically explains how to make the sling in the top section of it, and how to use the Apache slinging form in the bottom section:

http://www.slinging.org/22.html

Like the Greek and Figure 8 forms, it provides the force necessary for hunting if you use ammo of substantial mass. Its benefit is that it's a form that's very consistent. It's also powerful. However, one downfall is that it's harder to build momentum since it uses one strong stroke unlike most other forms that involve at least giving it a rotation or two.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #18 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 3:20pm

Johnny,
Cando,

Very interesting, Johnny your style seems very simular to Howard Hills technique. I believe that kyudo requires that you get both male and female shots does that upset your rhythem at all?

Nice shooting Cando, I don't use a compound bow myself. It's refreshing that you shoot without sights from time to time. I always have trouble shooting Zen style.The noise in my head throws me off too easily. Isn't there a rule that you load, and draw at roughly the same speed for continuety?

Ok, way off topic I know, but... what I was driving at is how would you relate you style of shooting to slinging?
I can see how Cando's focusing makes sense, but HH's double sight tchnique doesn't look like it can help you slinging. There isn't anything to triangulate with!  ???

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #19 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 3:57pm

try to triangulate the orbiting stone, your head and the target.

of course, it would be easyer if the stone wasen't orbiting.

btw. i have no idea what are you archer guys talking about (oh the terminology), but since triangulation was mentioned, i just imagioned mad triangels that are trying to follow a wild sling....

oh, never mind  Tongue

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #20 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 4:58pm

Good stats Johnny
O.k we need more stats because johnny just made me feel like I cant hit a small target
lol
Grin Grin

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #21 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 5:12pm

I may be the only one but my accuracy is much better at a distance. Firing stones in an arc, from 150-200 yards I can hit a small floating dock (6feet by 8feet) nine times out of ten. In close I have to use a short sling, but I can hit a stop sign six out of ten at 30 yards.

I practice archery quite a bit, but I wouldn't call it instinctive, I used to shoot gap, but now just shoot without thinking. At 15 yards I can almost put six arrows through the center hole of a cd with a recurve. At 25 I can put them all through a cd.

With a compound with front pin sights and a peep, I can put six out of six in a 2.5 inch circle at 40 yards.

I shoot three-fingers under with a recurve or longbow, and two-under with a compound.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #22 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 8:05pm

Mike_R, WoW! looks like I have some work to do. I'm going to try to get some concrete stats (and find out exactly how much i over/under estimated myself)

Thanks Unsapien, A_C, Houndog, and Johnny for your complements and information on the Apache style. It dosn't seem naturual to me (as it's basically the opposite of the Figure-8 Throw i've become accostomed to), but I'm going to give it a try. Seems like the type of thing where theres some little 'trick' that makes it just right...

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 8:55pm

Mike,
Are you using a fiberglass recurve with aluminum arrows?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #24 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:22am

Close, I usually shoot a wood/glass bear recurve with graphite arrows. I do practice with longbows and wood arrows I make but with that kind of equipment the best accuracy I can get is to put six out of six in a circle as big as a small dinner plate at 25 yards.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #25 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 7:12pm

hmmm maybe the title should be. How accurate with slings and arrows

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #26 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 5:42pm

Does size matter. Because if my younger brother annoys me I can sling a heavy foam ball up his butt from 35 feet

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #27 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 7:28pm

Is anybody online ???

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #28 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 4:58am

Nope, everybody is watching " CSI Miami". Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Wrenn
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Adelaide, Australia
Reply #29 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 4:43am

I have been using something similiar to work on my accuracy. I started with a 1mx1m target at 12 metres and shot sets of 30 tennis balls and recorded the results. Then I moved to a 50cmx50cm target and do the same. As my accuracy reaches a certain desirable point I'll keep reducing the target size.

I like the idea of a target containg several different sized points, like the baelaric targets, but as I walk from my house to my slinging spot its easier to just use a fixed sized target (a square of tape on a concrete wall).

I just got back from 6 weeks holidays but before I left my best practice day was 8 sets of 30 balls at the 50cmx50cm target, hitting it 22,23,24,24,22,24,21 and 25 times on each set. I made a excel spreadsheet to keep track of my progress since last october when I started working on accuracy. It show things like accuracy ratings, average number of hits min/max hits, and makes pretty graphs Wink

I think that session above is ~76% accuracy rating and my goal with this target size was 80% accuracy so I'm getting close, but have been hovering around 65-75% for a few weeks so I might have reached my accuracy cap with the amount of time I have to spend (3-4 times a week, 5-8 sets a session).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)