How Accurate are You (Read 3652 times)
lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
How Accurate are You
Feb 26th, 2006 at 5:20pm

I remeber a while back DTB had a thing with pop cans. A lot of us posted on how many times we could hit a pop can a 50ft i think it was.
Well I would Like to Refine that.
The new challene is a 1 meter x 1 meter sguare with a 16cm circle drawn in the middle then a 40 cm circle out side of that
I did mine on a peice of plywould but any thing would work eveen a bucnch of flatten cardboard boxes
I just marked the circles with a marker
Ok here are my results out of fifty throws at twenty meters
48 hit the 1 meter x 1 meter board
16 hit 40 cm circle
two hit the 16 cm circle

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: How Accurate are You
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 6:53pm

That target dimintions of 16 cm and 40 cm... are those numbers the radius of the circle or the diameter? ...

Thanks for the tip on using worsted wool.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 7:11pm

Lobohunter,
That's some good shooting..!
I'll try this out sometime this week...
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 5:24am

they are dia. And your welcome I will look forward to the results Johnny

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 6:20pm

Lobohunter,
So far you are the man.
My results:
28 hits out of 50 stones at 20 paces.
6 hits in the 40
2 hits in the 16

Johnny

Also, my misses were about 5 inches or so. I had about 5 "wild" shots...

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:11pm

Shocked
i fear that i wouldn't be able to hit the backstop. i'll get results soon enough though.

funny how, this is incredible accuracy to most of us (or at least me) yet in a time/place when the sling was your means of surviving, these stats must of been horrendous.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:15pm

wow impressive.  Smiley

I would have great accuracy if the can stood where the rock would fall. I dont aim on request you know?  Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:17pm

ha i know what you mean. I'll miss twenty throws in a row (by a lot). then i'll throw a tennis ball for my dog absentmindedly aiming at a rock across the field, and hit it. Undecided funny how that works. goes back to my theory that the only obstacle we have in the world is our own mind...

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:21pm

Yes Smiley If i aim it goes nowhere near the target. but if im just throwing for fun and look at a tree, Wham! hits dead center Grin

I sing to myself as a sorta zen thing. It works!

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:58pm

I find that the Apache style is my most accurate throw. Only because I hit the target(a small pyrimid of rocks) the first time.(luck) but after that I have hit a few other times.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 8:03pm

what is the apache style i hear so much about. is there any footage, stills, or good explanation out there? from reading, i can't really figure it out

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 9:01pm

Are you guys instinctive shooters at all? (Archery)

It would be interesting to hear what methods of visualizations, or techniques you guys use.

-unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 9:34pm

Unsapien,
I make my own bows and arrows and practice archery as much as slinging. My shooting would be instinctive, no bells and whistles. I focus all my energy on a small area in the target: "Aim small, miss small"...
Johnny

Also, I don't consider my shooting out of the ordinary, just average...

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 9:39pm

I got a really nice compound bow with a fancy sight. In no time at all, I was able to hit the target everytime, so off with the sight. Now I only put it on when shooting at night (it kind of glows, and without a moon or snow to reflect light, i can't tell where the arrow ends)

I find that the most important thing about intstinctive shooting (or shooting without a sight anyway) is that you have to hold the bow the same way, and hold the string at the same point every time.

I'm left handed, but shoot bows and slingshots righthanded (guns lefthanded). I'm also left-eye dominant.
When shooting, I usually just line up the point of the arrow with the target. After a bit of practice, you learn how to compensate for range, slope, and wind without trial and error.
I just realized that i don't have any measurements for my shooting range, but most shots are about thirty-five long paces. I'm able to consistently score centered hits on a humansized target from that range and a bit further.

Far more interesting though is shooting without thinking/aiming. I load the bow with it pointing down, and draw as I level the bow with the target. The instant I reach full draw (very easy to feel on a compound bow), I let go. With almost all shots this way I either don't have time to line up the shot, and more than half of the time, the bow isn't even up to where i'd normally hold it, and half of the time the bow is horizontal, always at an odd, but comfortable angle. From about thirty paces, usually more, this very inconsistent technique can hit a .5mx.5m target 7 out of 8 times mostly, sometimes 8 of 8 and occasionaly/rarely 6/8 or 5/8.

It took a bit of practice but it's still a bit shocking to me. The mind has to be in the right state though... it's kind of hard to explain, i suppose "zenlike" would be the best way to describe it. Although, the fast movements and rapid reloading go against the quiet and relaxed image conjured by the word  zen. The mind isn't focused consciously, all though it's certainly not distracted. When in this state of mind it's also easy to knock arrows with frozen and wet fingers.  Tongue Smiley.

I've tried shooting while running to very little success. Maybe I'll give it another shot (no pun intended) when the spring rolls around.

How do yall do it?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 9:42pm

after reading johny's reply. i should probably include that my shooting is phenomenal from my friends perspective. and beginner/novice from that of real archers. Ok, so i don't personally know any real archers, but seeing some demos on tv and stuff is certainly a humbling experience.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Chris)