Send Topic Print
Egyptian sling (Read 68636 times)
wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Re: Egyptian sling
Reply #90 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 8:02am

Timothy -

That is beautiful work. If slings were not made that way, they should have been!

Could you explain a little about the triangular loom? I'm not clear how that all works.

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #91 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 11:22pm

wanderer wrote on Apr 24th, 2009 at 8:02am:
Timothy -

That is beautiful work. If slings were not made that way, they should have been!

Could you explain a little about the triangular loom? I'm not clear how that all works.

In the picture of the original sling, as well as in the picture of my sling, the pouch is folded so that the cords meet each other. Assuming my analysis of the original is correct, the pouch will also fold flat in half when the cords are pulled apart, and form an obtuse triangle. The loom I used shaped like this triangle. The warp strands go from the base of the triangle over the top and back down to the base on the other side. At the base, the warp strands from both sides of the triangle are held in place with another strand of yarn. In this manner the pouch is actually woven folded in half. Once the weaving is finished, the yarn holding the warps at the base of the loom is removed, and the pouch comes off the loom. This structure of pouch (I've come to call it a "Tut pouch") is not unique to ancient Egypt; I have seen examples from both Turkey and Afghanistan.

The American Museum of Natural History has two slings from Afghanistan with this type of pouch. There are links to this site elsewhere on the forum.

Here's a link to a Turkish sling with a Tut pouch:

http://140.247.102.177/col/shortDisplay.cfm?StartRow=1

It's the fourth one down the list of slings.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #92 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 3:41pm

Ya know Timothy, If ya had taken pictures I'm sure that would be on A$$-kicking Tutorial you could write for the Homepage Articles.

After the Burgess Reconstruction Article we would also have the method for doing the Tut Sling Wink

Marc Adkins

Timothy Potter wrote on Apr 25th, 2009 at 11:22pm:
wanderer wrote on Apr 24th, 2009 at 8:02am:
Timothy -

In the picture of the original sling, as well as in the picture of my sling, the pouch is folded so that the cords meet each other. Assuming my analysis of the original is correct, the pouch will also fold flat in half when the cords are pulled apart, and form an obtuse triangle. The loom I used shaped like this triangle. The warp strands go from the base of the triangle over the top and back down to the base on the other side. At the base, the warp strands from both sides of the triangle are held in place with another strand of yarn. In this manner the pouch is actually woven folded in half. Once the weaving is finished, the yarn holding the warps at the base of the loom is removed, and the pouch comes off the loom. This structure of pouch (I've come to call it a "Tut pouch") is not unique to ancient Egypt; I have seen examples from both Turkey and Afghanistan.

The American Museum of Natural History has two slings from Afghanistan with this type of pouch. There are links to this site elsewhere on the forum.

Here's a link to a Turkish sling with a Tut pouch:

http://140.247.102.177/col/shortDisplay.cfm?StartRow=1

It's the fourth one down the list of slings.

-Timothy Potter

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #93 - May 1st, 2009 at 5:18pm

Timothy,

a beautyfull and very accurate work! Looks great! Do you have details of Tuts sling?
Concerning the shape of the pouch I had the experience that if you weave tight and hard the concave shape will form automatically as the higher tension of the weft forces the material to this (at least this is my interpretation). The concave shape is missing at another sling which I made first without weaving it as tight.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #94 - May 1st, 2009 at 8:04pm

Ok ya found it Smiley

Marc Adkins

funda_iucunda wrote on May 1st, 2009 at 5:18pm:
Timothy,

a beautyfull and very accurate work! Looks great! Do you have details of Tuts sling?
Concerning the shape of the pouch I had the experience that if you weave tight and hard the concave shape will form automatically as the higher tension of the weft forces the material to this (at least this is my interpretation). The concave shape is missing at another sling which I made first without weaving it as tight.

funda iucunda

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #95 - May 2nd, 2009 at 6:00pm

Timothy,

funda iucunda

The only information I had to go on with this sling was the Burton photograph. As to the shaping of the original, I looked at the angle formed by the warp strings down the middle of the sling, which looks pretty tight. I think that using tight tension to make the concave shape would make a more rounded, smooth shape, rather than the crisp V that's in the photograph. The sling in Manchester Museum that David Morningstar posted pictures of on this thread a few days ago might be an example of what the tension does to the shape. All this is just my own theory, and I'd love to see others' reconstructions to compare results.
When I have the time, I'll see if I can get some pictures of the loom I made, and how I used it. But I’m not exactly sure where I put it. In fact, though I hate to admit it, I misplaced Tut's sling when I was taking pictures for my website, and it hasn't been seen for several weeks. So, I may have to make another, and that might be better anyway, because then I could document the process.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #96 - May 3rd, 2009 at 1:57pm

Ok we seem to be talking about several diffrent slings here. There were two slings excavated in Tuts tomb by Dr. Carter. The one that David posted was of the First Lahun Sling.

Marc Adkins

Timothy Potter wrote on May 2nd, 2009 at 6:00pm:
Timothy,

funda iucunda

The only information I had to go on with this sling was the Burton photograph. As to the shaping of the original, I looked at the angle formed by the warp strings down the middle of the sling, which looks pretty tight. I think that using tight tension to make the concave shape would make a more rounded, smooth shape, rather than the crisp V that's in the photograph. The sling in Manchester Museum that David Morningstar posted pictures of on this thread a few days ago might be an example of what the tension does to the shape. All this is just my own theory, and I'd love to see others' reconstructions to compare results.
When I have the time, I'll see if I can get some pictures of the loom I made, and how I used it. But I’m not exactly sure where I put it. In fact, though I hate to admit it, I misplaced Tut's sling when I was taking pictures for my website, and it hasn't been seen for several weeks. So, I may have to make another, and that might be better anyway, because then I could document the process.

-Timothy Potter

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #97 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:01pm

winkleried wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 1:57pm:
Ok we seem to be talking about several diffrent slings here. There were two slings excavated in Tuts tomb by Dr. Carter. The one that David posted was of the First Lahun Sling.

Marc Adkins

Yes, I was talking about the difference in shape between the pouches on the Tut sling I copied and the Lahun sling David posted.

By the way, I think that there were actually four slings in Tut's tomb. Two of them, which I assume are the ones you are referring to, are in this photograph:

http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/gallery/p1324.html

And the other two are in these photographs:

http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/gallery/p0086.html
http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/gallery/p0087.html

This is the card with the description of these two:

http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/021kk.html

They were labeled as a belt, but they sure look to me like slings. Somewhere on the forum I saw pictures of these in a museum display.

-Timothy Potter

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #98 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:14pm

Ok just making sure.
Based ont hose links I agree there could have been four.

Marc Adkins

Timothy Potter wrote on May 4th, 2009 at 9:01pm:
winkleried wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 1:57pm:

Marc Adkins

Yes, I was talking about the difference in shape between the pouches on the Tut sling I copied and the Lahun sling David posted.

By the way, I think that there were actually four slings in Tut's tomb. Two of them, which I assume are the ones you are referring to, are in this photograph:

http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/gallery/p1324.html

And the other two are in these photographs:

http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/gallery/p0086.html
http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/gallery/p0087.html

This is the card with the description of these two:

http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/021kk.html

They were labeled as a belt, but they sure look to me like slings. Somewhere on the forum I saw pictures of these in a museum display.

-Timothy Potter

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #99 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 7:47am

I had another look at the Manchester museum sling today. By taking out a sling of my own and reproducing all the bends and loops of the original cord I got a length of 23 inches for the retention cord, not including the pouch, which I guesstimate to be 6" x2". The retention loop is so  tiny I can only surmise it was used as a slipknot with the retention cord pushed through it.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #100 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 7:00pm

Get us pics and info of this sling. It's a new one on me.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #101 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 8:31pm

Badger, If this is the same sling I am thinking of, it is what I call Lahun I in my ground school class.

Wil try and get ya pics either tonight or tomorrow night

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Feb 7th, 2010 at 7:00pm:
Get us pics and info of this sling. It's a new one on me.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #102 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 4:24am

You've seen it before, its this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23628261@N07/3468684001/

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #103 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 5:32am

Do you know what is it made of? Some kind of grass?

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #104 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 1:56pm

Fundibularius wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 5:32am:
Do you know what is it made of? Some kind of grass?

Flax cord, I think. Maybe hemp.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)