Egyptian sling (Read 68067 times)
funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Re: Egyptian sling
Reply #60 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:09pm

David,

great pictures! The pouch is really tiny. Is it possible that the material somehow shrinked? The cord and the pouch seem to have a coloured pattern as if strings of different colour have been used. Is this correct or just an illusion caused by camera light?

My shopping list is the following:

length of the release cord
length of the retention cord
thickness of the cords
material of the sling
length and width of the pouch
literature about this sling

Many thanks for your endeavour!

funda iucunda

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #61 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 3:47am

I meant to reply to this earlier, sorry! Yes, the cord does show two different colours in its twist. This is quite noticeable. I can try an take some pics with an object for scale, but it is several inches behind glass so this wont be perfect. I can ask the museum for more information if they have it but so far everything I know is with the first pic I posted in the pictures thread.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #62 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 4:02pm

Here comes according to my promise of march 24th the new sling. It is made in the same way as my first one but I used real flax which is the original material of the slings from Lahun.
(Somewhere I got several hundred meters of 1mm flax string which is normally used in the kitchen for making "Roulade". That is thin meat with mmuch salt and pepper and then rolled around a cucumber. The flax is used for fixing this meal for synthetic fibers would not stand being baked in a pan.)
The strings of this sling are slightly thinner than the original younger Lahun sling (9th cent. B.C.) but the other measures are close to the original. When making the pouch I had much tension on the weft. Therefor the pouch is formed like a flat mould. I didn't itend this but afterwards I saw on Davids fotos of the older Lahun sling a similar pattern of the pouch. The advantage of this mould is that round amunition would not easily fall out of it. The disadvantage seems to be that the projectiles dont leave the pouch as smoothly as they should. This is at least my impression .
Additional fotos will follow.

Funda iucunda

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #63 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:41pm

Tidy work! Any chance you can punt me a hi-res version of that picture?

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #64 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 4:52pm

I made some more pictures and hope that they will be better.

funda

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #65 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 5:40am

Funda,

That looks a beautiful piece of work. Very nice.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #66 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:53pm

Here comes another picture of my sling replica (which does not seem to be really better then the previous Cry)
and a picture showing the tool on which I braided the flax sling. It is shaped according to the article of Burgess. The role of flax is the material I used. I took i twice to get a strand which I then could open up again into two minor strings as Burgess recommends.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #67 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:55pm

This picture belongs to my mail above.

funda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #68 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 8:55pm

Looks Nice Funda,
Hoping I get off the road long enough to try weaving my own.

Marc

funda_iucunda wrote on Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:55pm:
This picture belongs to my mail above.

funda

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #69 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:33am

David Morningstar wrote on Sep 6th, 2008 at 3:47am:
I can try an take some pics with an object for scale, but it is several inches behind glass so this wont be perfect. I can ask the museum for more information if they have it but so far everything I know is with the first pic I posted in the pictures thread.

Since I have been absent of the forums some time I had not seen this topic, that is most interesting. Have you got more information from the museum? I think IŽll inquest what I can on the subject. I have a lot of questions:

- Why has not been disclosed this sling as much as the one of Petrie museum, being it better preserved and much more old?

- It could be that the dating is confused because Kahun was a town of the pyramid workers around the year 1900 b. C. that was left once the pyramide was concluded. The dating of Petrie sling could be mistaken and also corresponds to XX century b.C.

- Being foreign great part of the pyramid workers, corresponds the two slings to a non Egyptian culture?

This subject requires a research in depth, is not habitual to look at a sling of 4,000 years of antiquity. The truth is that it is too much well conserved in comparison with those of Tutan and Petrie museum.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #70 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 2:26pm

Hondero wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:33am:
David Morningstar wrote on Sep 6th, 2008 at 3:47am:
I can try an take some pics with an object for scale, but it is several inches behind glass so this wont be perfect. I can ask the museum for more information if they have it but so far everything I know is with the first pic I posted in the pictures thread.

Since I have been absent of the forums some time I had not seen this topic, that is most interesting. Have you got more information from the museum? I think IŽll inquest what I can on the subject. I have a lot of questions:

- Why has not been disclosed this sling as much as the one of Petrie museum, being it better preserved and much more old?

Because its not in London.

Quote:
- It could be that the dating is confused because Kahun was a town of the pyramid workers around the year 1900 b. C. that was left once the pyramide was concluded. The dating of Petrie sling could be mistaken and also corresponds to XX century b.C.

- Being foreign great part of the pyramid workers, corresponds the two slings to a non Egyptian culture?

This subject requires a research in depth, is not habitual to look at a sling of 4,000 years of antiquity. The truth is that it is too much well conserved in comparison with those of Tutan and Petrie museum.

The sling is only one item in a huge display of equally well preserved items including cloth, leather, cordage and other perishable materials.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #71 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 3:09pm

IŽve made some investigations on the two slings of Lahun. The dating of both are debatable and it does not seems that dating with C-14 have been made. In addition, they appear in secondary archaeological deposits, removed by reusability of the tombs or sacking of them, both things very frequent in Egypt. The Petrie sling was dated by himself subjectively since it appeared in a heap of rests along an iron spear point, that evidently do not belongs to the bronze age of XII dynasty when the pyramid of al-Lahun was constructed. For that reason Petrie dated the sling towards the 800 b.C., approximately in the iron age.
As far as the sling of the Manchester museum, it is mentioned in a publication of the British School of Archaeology in Egypt, in 1920, titled Lahun I, the Treasure, by Guy Brunton, who collaborated  in the excavation of Flinder Petrie. This is the paragraph where he mentions the sling:

8, with its rope sling, is doubtful;
it can hardly be Middle Kingdom with the curious
little projection at the bottom, and with the rope
so well preserved. A late date, probably Roman,
seems to be indicated.

Really, the label of the Manchester museum does not say restrictively of the antiquity of the sling but of the one of the archaeological site of Lahun. Perhaps some of our braiding experts can find differences in the fabric of both slings. For me, Petrie sling seems to be more primitive, although better woven. Its cradle seems flat, whereas the one of the Manchester is  a little dished, more technical and adapted to hold the small projectiles found with the sling.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #72 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 3:44pm

Hondero,

the dished shape of the manchester sling pouch is really striking. The other sling pouch seems to be flat, though the technique of making seems to me to be the same. A possible explanation of the concave profile might be the power you use to weave it. I made two replika of the Lahun II sling. Making the second I pulled the weft with much more power than at my first sling replika. The result is a dished shape. My first sling pouch is flat. Unfortunately it is not very well visble on my fotos above.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

ElliotB

Slinging Rocks! And Loving
It!

Reply #73 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 4:59am

Funda:
I've made one of the tools shown above, but how do I go about weaving the actual pouch?

Elliot

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #74 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 3:37pm

Elliot,

the method is shown in: E. Martin Burgess, An Ancient Egyptian Sling Reconstructed, Journal of the Arms and Armour Society, Voll II, No 10, June 1958, pp 226-230.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris)