Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Egyptian sling (Read 68075 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Egyptian sling
Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 10:19pm

Outstanding!!!! Really nice job on the sling.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #16 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 6:58am

Really nice sling Smiley.
I dont think I can make a sling that is this complicated Cry
I can make braided slings, but this type of sling looks way to complicated.

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #17 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 3:09pm

Rebel,

the plaiting work was really difficult. But don't panic!

A great and nearly indispensable help for me was Ashley’s Book of Knots. There I found the necessary explanations of knots and plaits Burgess took for granted. I’ve a German translation of the American edition of 1944 which contains the original drawings of the knots with their numbers. Here they are:

the 5 string plait for the small loop where the cord is to be passed through for making the retention loop (Ashley no. 2983) which is originally a 7 string plait that I took as model and changed it into a 5 string plait by reducing the 4 strings on the left side to 3 and accordingly on the right side from 3 to 2,

the 9 string plait (Ashley no. 2985) which forms the beautiful ear of corn plait Burgess describes,

the 10 strings plait for both cords (Ashley no. 3010).

The pouch I wove on a frame similar to the one Burgess used. The figure of eight weave he mentions is relatively simple. The strings of the cords are split into two and form the warp. One of them is going up and the other down. But they do not only cross each others way on the level of the weft, but are as well twisted around each other like a rope.

If something does not work open the plait and start again. Once you will succeed. Just go for it! Smiley

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #18 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 3:40pm

funda iucunda,
Your sling looks good.

But I wonder why you used the frame Burgess discribed.
Looking at the sling, and its papers, both a weaver friend and I reacted that there is an easier way.

Our idea is, start with the fingerloop as you have done now, but with threads long enough for both cords.
Braid as you have done till the start of the pouch, transfer your threads onto a simple small loom, a backstrap-loom or start a tablet weave for the pouch, add as many threads as you need to get the width of the pouch, in the second half of the pouch you take those threads away, maybe by using them in the weft.
At the end of the pouch you start braiding again till the end of the cord.

I would add the extra threads just inside the weave, not on the outher edge, and take them away on the same point.

I want to make a sling this way, but can not find the needed time. I even have the materials I need......

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #19 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 11:53pm

Wow, that thing is great!

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 9:43am

Hello funda_iucunda.
Thanks for the encouraging. Smiley
I will try and make a sling like yours when I got the time to do so.

Rune -The Reb-

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #21 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 3:54pm

Willeke,

many thanks for this hint. May be that tablet weaving is the clue. As I read somewhere tablet weaving has been invented by the ancient Egyptians 4,500 years ago and that tey reached a high standard. So this technique is very likely to be used for sling pouches.
I do not have experience with tablet weaving. Is it possible to weave a pouch with tablets without the pouch being rolled up like a drying leave? I fear that the strands of the cord forming the weft would tend to go straight down. So it might be necessary to use Burgess' frame in order to keep the pouch plain and in shape.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #22 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 4:20pm

Take a look on the web for some back strap looms and tablet weaving, it is real simple to use both, and they combine very good.

With tablet weaving the strings do stay neatly in a horizontal row, and when you use a simple loom or a backstrap loom you can adjust tension as needed.

The frame seems alien to the kind of weaving they had then.

Willeke
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2006 at 4:52pm by Willeke »  

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

joshskijam

Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati!

NY
Reply #23 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:37pm

I would like to make one of these, but I still haven't been able to find anything that would explain it to me. Does somebody have that article mentioned?

josh_skijam84 joshskijam  
IP Logged

Monkeywjcr

Beware of flying rocks.

Front Royal VA
Reply #24 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:12pm

Can some one post a picture that I can copy off of?

If it fits in my sling and won't break DUCK!!!!!

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #25 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 9:49am

Someone cancelled my pictures! Angry

funda

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #26 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 12:40pm

I think we just broke the links in the last forum upgrade. I'll find them and edit the post, and if that doesn't work I have backups....

I wonder how many threads this is going to have affected?  Sad

Matthias

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #27 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 12:23pm

lol - Matthias strikes again :-)

He does mean well ;-)
But yeah I'd like to see the pics as well.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #28 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 5:11pm

When the pictures are finally lost I can try to send those I still have or make new. At the moment I am weaving a new sling in the same manner. Its just a question of time  Roll Eyes when I will be ready to post its fotos.

funda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #29 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 12:56am

I think I have them on my harddrive as well. I am pretty much a pic junkie when it comes to slings.

Marc Adkins

funda_iucunda wrote on Mar 24th, 2008 at 5:11pm:
When the pictures are finally lost I can try to send those I still have or make new. At the moment I am weaving a new sling in the same manner. Its just a question of time  Roll Eyes when I will be ready to post its fotos.

funda

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)