Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Sling (Read 1501 times)
Justin
Tiro

Auburn Al
My Sling
Feb 26th, 2006 at 11:48am

My sling was made by trial and error.  I had no way of knowing that this site even existed when I first started slinging.  I have tried many types of cords but nothing fancy like the braids some of you are using. It just seemed to me that I was not getting enough velocity.  I am now using plain leather shoe strings about three feet in length.  My pouch is almost rectangular and around five inches long and about one inch and 3/4 wide.  I have 2 holes punched on each end to make a cup. It holds rocks very good and even marbles and ball bearings.  I have tried other types of pouches but when I use the cup type my rock always goes in the right direction.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Re: My Sling
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 2:18pm

Welcome to Slinging.org Justin. Cheesy

Trial and error... I made chainmail using that and it's definately better suited for slings Tongue. Your sling sounds cool. How long is it? What slinging style do you use?

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Justin
Tiro

Auburn Al
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 11:53pm

I prefer the overhead style.  If I do it any other way I don't get as much speed and it is also a hazzard to others standing around me.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 10:55pm

I still haven't quite figured out the overhand style Tongue. Do you extend your arm out (i.e. over your head, behind your back, etc.) or do you keep it more or less stationary and use your wrist to twirl the projectile around? ???

Have you tried doing figure 8 style? It seems completely absurd, unnatural and inefficient at first. It took me forever to figure out, but it's so fun that I'll go through the motion of doing it even when I can't sling (usually between classes).

I tried the underhand and overhand (I had a short sling) and I couldn't seem to keep the sling going for any more than 1 full cycle (sometimes less) before I messed up. I recently realized that prehaps I should be using my wrist and not my entire arm... Tongue

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&
IP Logged

Justin
Tiro

Auburn Al
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 2:17pm

I try to keep the sling right above my head if it is all possible.  I like about 3 rotations before I throw any less and it doesn't go as far.  If I go more than three I begin to get scare of it and release in the wrong direction.  I also don't move my arm very much until I get ready to throw then I make a lunge to release and extend my arm outward.  Until the actual release I rely primarly on my wrist.  I am not sure of alot of these styles.  I don't know them by name.  I'm not sure what a figure 8 style is.  

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:38pm

The best/only way to figure it out is to watch it. Basically the idea is to get your hand bent over/behind your back so you can fling the sling in the same fashion as a catapult or trebuchet. I don't want to even try to explain it, so just watch these videos over and over until you get it. They look crazy, but if you get the hang of it, it's rather natural.

Normal Throw: http://www.altay.vilko.net/dl/sling/BasicThrow.avi
View from back: http://www.altay.vilko.net/dl/sling/HeadShot.avi

these aren't my videos... I forgot where I got them from and I can't seem to relocate them, so I just uploaded them to my website.

&&
IP Logged

Justin
Tiro

Auburn Al
Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 12:51am

I see what you mean now.  I have tried this but it does't work good for me.

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 11:54am

all i can say is look closely to what the fella is doing watch it over and over again And watch it Slooooowly that really helps  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 2:49pm

About where you found these videos, how about the articles page of this site: Tennis overhand (Weaver) style of overhand release - Mark Weaver.
http://www.slinging.org/34.html

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:27pm

There they are! I looked through the articles section, but I only looked at the ones that said they had movies on them. For some reason it doesn't have the little movie clip icon for that one...

&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, vetryan15)