Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ammo (Read 3349 times)
Justin
Tiro

Auburn Al
Re: ammo
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 10:20pm

The bearings I have are about the size of a quarter.  You can get them from loggers.  The guy that gave them to me got them from a skidder.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 10:56pm

Quote:
i do a split braid pouch, then stich a peice of material(usualy leather) onto it apache style.(article on the apache sling)

I do the exact same except I use fake leather Wink [it's easier to get my hands on and works just fine]

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #17 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 4:33am

Mouse balls I say. Mouse balls to the lot of you.

Anything bigger than a mouse ball is great, but like other people I cannot get enough of them. So I make my own lead balls using a 10 callibre mould.

Pat

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #18 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 8:37am

Haha happy to know that your still around kold! The sling you gave me is not worn down yet, but its getting there. I think when summer time comes round ill try makeing you some clay glands and you could send me a sling? Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #19 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 5:32pm

ball bearings.   Grin
Like my favorite  ammo (other than ammo I make) Try dry wall plants. They have shaker mills that break up gypsum for the dry wall The shaker mills use 1 inch dia ball bearings. what used to do. when I lived near one is leave them My card when they trade out the ballbearings because they were rusty or too pitted I would buy them for a little above scrap prices.
Also watch scrap yards they sometimes get them. I leave card with them too. But with my smithing I have a good relation ship with scrap yards.
Speaking of the smithing ill be back in oregon by april. and hammering away again
Sorry adding to this post rather than a second one
My first taste of the power of the sling was though aball bearing
I was maybe 15 feet away from a old paint can full of hardened paint. Well not only did I hit the can But the ball bearing went completly though the can and the solid paint
After that i was sold on ball bearings

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #20 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 8:08pm

wow... i was happy when I got a jagged rock to tear through one side of a thin plastic bucket....

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #21 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:15am

well, if the plactic bag wasn't held tense it would absorb much of the blow, much like a pillow, making it much harder to break through. So did the rock land in the bag? That would be awesome.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #22 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:26am

i didnt see any references to a bag, so i'll assume your talking to me. it was a bucket not a bag.... the five-gallon type that trees come in. of the "heavy duty" variety, not the type that you can bend easily....
i feel like i misunderstood something here, and am making a fool of myself now...

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #23 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:33am

Well Cando using rocks I am not sur I ever put a hole in a plastic bucket. But with lead or steel I break them apart.
So great job Cando btw does your name have any thing to do with the 3/15 army infranty.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #24 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:32pm

thanks. its a thinner plastic than you're thinking, but i'm still proud of myself  Tongue.

And no, I got the idea from the name of the boat, the "Can Do", from Gloucester, MA. Several men went out in the Blizzard of '78 (a legend in this part of the world) to help the Coastguard save the lives of those aboard the tanker "Global". All aboard died heroes.

I'm not pretending to be a hero or anything, I guess it's kind of disrespectful to use that name, but when I needed to make a username in a hurry, the closest thing to me was the book "Ten hours until Dawn" which is about the Can Do. I've been meaning to change it for a while, but I am severely challenged when it comes to thinking up stuff like this. Maybe I'll find some obscure Greek or Roman name mentioned in one of "the Classics"

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #25 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:57pm

Quote:
i didnt see any references to a bag, so i'll assume your talking to me. it was a bucket not a bag.... the five-gallon type that trees come in. of the "heavy duty" variety, not the type that you can bend easily....
i feel like i misunderstood something here, and am making a fool of myself now...

No, you're right. I just read "bucket" as "bag" Tongue. I think I got so used to seeing "plastic bag" that when I saw "plastic b..." my brain filled it in as bag and skipped onto the next word. Roll Eyes

EDIT: there is no word after bucket Roll Eyes (now I feel really silly)

&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:03pm

no problem. i'm the same way, in fact

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Added Later* Yes, I am aware, this isn't the exact same scenario, but it's the same sort of thing.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #27 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:11pm

Tryeh'e btoh phloogcsyy, so tyhree' ptetyr mcuh the smae tnhig.

&&
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #28 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 10:09am

No need to change the name Cando I was just asking because can do is the motto of the 3/15 infrantry

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #29 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 10:28am

I find all kinds of marbles at flea markets. People hate going with me, because I want to try to sling everything. ( Gee, I wonder how that would do in a sling)

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)