Send Topic Print
A day of slinging (Read 1245 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
A day of slinging
Feb 23rd, 2006 at 10:16pm

I had a day off with a bunch of friends yesturday and we went to my favourite sling spot to get away from the city.  I brought all my slings along and we had a blast!  

There is a kite flying area close by so my friends had a lot of activities.  Kite flying, badminton, BBQ and gathering rocks for me to sling Grin (They were more interested in watching me sling than actually slinging themselves Undecided)

I ended up slinging continuously from 10:00 am to noon, had lunch, then 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm!  I had never done so much slinging in one day before.  I felt like I was getting better in the end, just better feel of where the rock was going.

Needless to say my body is sore all over today, especially the right shoulder and left thigh.  

I'll have to try that again as soon as my body recovers!

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Re: A day of slinging
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 12:22am

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

I know what you mean about friends rather watching. I found a solution for this. When I started twirling the sling around in  a figure-8 style throw, they wanted to know how to do it. Before they would just twirl and release (not successful at all for first-timers).

I have one friend who can't seem to figure out the figure-8. He has a strange prefered "throw". He twirls the sling around vertically, underhand method, (probably about 10-15 times) and then releases. I guess this would be okay... but he launches backwards about as often as he lauches forwards (no worries, just a tennis ball). It's actually quite hillarious. He'll stare up and forward and sort of gaze off like he'd slung the ball 500 feet in the air, trying to find it, while everyone watching [the sling] sees the ball fly almost directly up and backwards. He finally asks where it went and thinks it's funny that it went backwards. I hope he never tries using rocks... [anytime soon at least]

Today in my physics class we weren't doing anything (we've been studying centripetal force) so I spent 40 minutes launching pingpong balls at a poster of yoda on the wall. The poster was about 1 meter by 1/2 meter. I stood about 5 meters away. I hit Yoda 6 times in 40 minutes. I'm sure he used the force! Angry Just kidding. But it did look like it. I used a figure-8 method and because the pingpong ball's mass is practically nothing and it has a large surface area, it's greatly influenced by wind resistance, so spin plays a big role. My shots would curve out of the way about 1 meter away from him, because the spin put on the ball from the overhand-ish throw (from my right side) causes it to curve left. Anyway, it was a lot of fun.

Wow, you slung for 5 hours! Your arm must be killing you. Were you aiming at any particular target (paper target, tree, pet [jk]) or just slinging for distance?

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 12:51am

Sounds like a "Good" day! Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 6:55am

Now that sounds like alot of fun.
How many slings were there?
Any new prespective slingers?

-Unspaien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 10:27am

My friends like the staff sling better. I have one who looks goofy as all heck when he throws with a staff sling but he can realy get a rock out there Smiley

when we throw we throw at a sign on a old bridge. Last one to hit it has to get rocks for every one else Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 3:14am

I was aiming at some spray painted chinese characters on a rock cliff.  By the end of the day I moved back to about 170 yards from the cliff.  It felt great to hear the stone smash the cliff face.  My friends were impressed Grin

I had 19 slings with me and there were 20 something of us that day.  Two of them come out to sling with me occasionally.  I doubt the others would do it aften though.  Although they had fun, they mostly live in the heart of town and are too busy to get away.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 3:20am

Roll Eyes I wish I have the opportunity to sling like what you did.That must be fun. Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Tint,how long do you sling,170 yards? Shocked

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 3:23am

My furthest ever was about 250 yards.  I had the wind behind me and all the elements went well with that shot.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 9:37am

Did you try to take out any of the kites??

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 1:21pm

Tint, it was a true slinging party. I would be happy to gather such bunch of slingers. BTW just today I slung away two first stones in this year, it was a nice feeling after slinging snow balls, despite I like them too.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 8:11pm

Quote:
Did you try to take out any of the kites??

Hum.......I didn't think of slinging at them.  Have to try next time!

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 12:07pm

careful that none of the owners of the kite's get angry  Roll Eyes

Taiki  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, vetryan15)