Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
an exercise for slingers (Read 1090 times)
Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
an exercise for slingers
Feb 22nd, 2006 at 11:55am

I found this article, at the library database, that deals with preventing shoulder injury. Most of the article talks about preventing weight lifting injuries, but the part I'm posting here talks about the rotator cuff, which all slingers should know about. The article says:

"Rotator cuff. Four small muscles go around the shoulder joint like a cuff and hold your arm firmly in the socket. They are collectively known as the rotator cuff muscles. They can easily become irritated and inflamed when they are weak and overused.

If you lift heavy weights, it is a must to strengthen these muscles. Likewise, if you do sports like badminton or tennis which require repetitive overhead movements.

Older people also need rotator cuff strengthening because the muscles atrophy as people age.

The exercises can be done with dumbbells, rubber tubing or special weight machines. For instructions using dumbbells, go to www.tinajuanfitness.info, click on exercises, click on shoulders, then click on External Rotator Cuff with Dumbbells or Internal Rotator Cuff with Dumbbells."

IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Re: an exercise for slingers
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:14pm

I found another article on shoulder injury, but this one deals specifialy with sports that use repetitive shoulder motion. There's a copy of the article at the author's website. for some reason Internet Explorer won't show me the address for the article so I can't post the link. to get to the article, go to http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/ and click on the articles tab found at the top of the page, and then click on "How to Prevent Shoulder Injuries in Sports."

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:30pm

I second this. I injured my shoulder slinging. It hurt for almost a year before I finally started doing rotary cuff exercises with weights. The pain went away within a week and has never come back.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 2:49pm

Thanks for the info,
I was getting worried about injury.

The temptation to throw hard is soo strong..

Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 4:42pm

this is really great.  i wasn't really sure how to exercise these muscles other than by slinging alot, and that can lead to injury.  thanks.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 1:41pm

Good to know.
Thanks.

Sander

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)