Send Topic Print
3 Slings I've made (Read 10821 times)
CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: 3 Slings I've made
Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 10:16pm

sounds like a party altay. you might want to watch out though. slings can be considered lethal or concealed weapons (that is if the person finding it knows what it is Tongue Roll Eyes). I keep a short, paracord one with me but don't take it out much. just remember.... it's a physics project  Grin

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #16 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 10:23pm

Grin I showed my physics teacher my sling and he loved it. He loves to joke with my by saying "No weapons in school" whenever he sees it. I haven't actually tried slinging any rocks (1 exception, but that was with the small sling, very weak and only meant to go [and did go] about 6 feet). I think the tennis ball is pretty safe. Our school's front it actually very big and we had no trouble even after about an hour or two of slinging. I do know what you mean about being careful with them and I doubt I'll try slinging anything other than a tennis ball (or pingpong ball).

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #17 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 10:25pm

Well, here's an image showing the general idea of the pouch. It's really only 1/4 of it, photoshopped to give in idea of what it would look like.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 11:40pm

Alright, here is a breif guide to the basics of chainmail making. Below is a picture of my workspace. You'll notice it isn't too complecated (the workspace, that is).

That's about all you need. If you don't know how to make the links, go to http://www.chainmailman.com/tutorial.html.

Above is an image of basically how I hold the slightly opened links. I use my left hand to shut the links while I hold the links with the pliars in my right hand. NOTE: this ruins your fingernails after a while, but I don't have 2 pairs of pliars... Tongue

This is basically what the closed links look like. Sorry, I couldn't get the camera to focus on the link and the flash made it all shiny...

Okay, regular European chainmail is made of basic units I call "fiver"s. Each fiver is basically 4 links hooked together by one link. You need 4 closed links and 1 open link to make a fiver.

This is what a fiver basically is. It will look nothing like this when layed flat on the ground, but if you pick it up by the middle link, you'll see it's just 1 link hooked onto 4 others.

This is a picture of a fiver layed flat on the ground. It looks very different. This is the molecule of the substance chainmail. Perhaps not the best metaphor, but it's the smallest unit that still looks like the chainmail pattern.

Fivers are building blocks of chainmail. Almost like Legos, only harder (and shinier Grin). Anyway, once you have 2 fivers, you can hook them together with a single link.

Hook the link into one of the fivers as shown, but don't close it.

Now hook it through the other fiver as shown.

Okay, I know this was a bit confusing and the pictures were blurry, but if you didn't understand something just google something like "chainmail tutorial" or "chain mail guide". If you did understand all that, you should be able to figure out/look up how to hook rows together. It's very similar.

I'll try to add to the guide to help you guys understand it better, but now back to the diamond shape. How?

If you make any chainmail you'll notice a pattern rather similar to the arrangement of the stars on the US Flag. With each o being a ring in the image below, chainmail looks more or less like:

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o 

(that's made of 10 fivers wide by 2 fivers tall)

Anyway, it doesn't looks like a diamond. The way to make it a diamond is simple, yet tricky at first. You make it in a steps shape like below (each # is a fiver)

#
##
###
####
#####
######

However this still won't look quite right, so you take a ring off of the uppermost fiver of each column. These are indicated by an o in the following illustration:

o
#o
##o
###o
####o
#####o

so for each fiver represented by an o, you take the free ring off. Which is the free ring. Look  at the illustration below:

o  x
  o 
o  o

o  x
                                    o
         o  o

Each x represents the free ring. It isn't attached to any other rings. So, if you were able to follow so far, you should have a good idea of how to make a right triangle shaped piece of chainmail. To make the diamond, simply make 4 such pieces of chainmail, then attach them together (with links of course).

Now you're all probably thoroughry confused as to how to make chainmail:P. Sorry I don't have images for the confusing parts (the triangle parts). If you get really confused you can look at the sample picture I had. Below I show how you can see the basic pattern of fivers and fourers (I guess that's what they'd be called).

http://altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/triangle

I highlighted many of the fivers in it with red and the "fourers" with a blue outline. This image does a good job showing what 1/4 of the diamond should look like.

&&
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 6:19am

vewwy nice  Grin a little to much work i.m.o. but Really nice  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #20 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 3:25pm

Awesome! i have to try this now.
have you ever tested your chainmail against an axe or something similar?

also, about how much would it cost to buy enough wire for a shirt of maille (do you have to buy wire from chainmaille places, they seem like an uncesescary middleman)?

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #21 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 3:57pm

I think that depends on how much work you want to go through to get the rings.

It also depends if you want the rings punched, rivited, brass, titanuim, stainless steel, bronze, Enameled etc.

A friend of mine works with chainmail alot. He goes to this supplier, and says he's happy with them. They also have some helpful tutorials.
I hope it helps somehow.
http://theringlord.com/

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #22 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 5:04pm

Yeah, I got my aluminum from http://www.theringlord.com too Wink. They sell it for an extremely cheap price [at least the aluminum]. The company is located in Canada, the #1 aluminum supplier of the US [as far as I know]. The only problem/catch is that it costs $15 for shipping and handling... oh well

Here're their prices for 16 GA shiny aluminum:

Bright Aluminum - 16ga (0.063'')       

Sold By The POUND      

less than 10     $ 5.30 /Unit
  10 to 30           $ 3.98 /Unit
  30 or more       $ 3.60 /Unit

Temper: Hard
  Approximately 271 feet per POUND

You would probably want to buy premade rings as this would save you a ton of time & effort (and probably money, unless you plan to make tons).

&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #23 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 8:54pm

thanks. thats been a very helpful website. i'll order online if nescesary. but i'm going to see if i can get the same alloy in a welding wire. the 16 ga is probably what i'll go with since it's the thickest i'm going to be able to find at a welding store.  The Ring Lord website you guys mentioned says that 16 ga links only become 'armour strength' as opposed to 'costume strength' when you make the links 1/4 in. inner diameter. i don't know that i'd even be able to make 1/4 in. links Shocked. i figure that since this will spend 99% of it's life hanging on a rack i should as well be able to say "it can almost stop an arrow" with some confidence Tongue.

does anyone agree with me, that the awesome information in here should be its own thread? can that even be done?

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 11:32pm

"have you ever tested your chainmail against an axe or something similar?"

I've thought a lot about seeing how it would fair if an arrow was shot at it. However, since the mail is neither riveted nor welded and made of aluminum (strong for its weight, but nothing like iron, steel, or titanium) it would be easily bent open by an arrow (assuming it hit perpenducularly). I don't know how it would fair against an axe. At 16 Ga I doubt many, if any, links would snap, especially with a soft backing like a human body (real war situations). I think it would fair well against an axe because an axe lacks the fine point penetration of arrows and a sword stab. However, with [or without] chainmail, a good hit with and axe would knock you to the ground.

[how do you make those block quotes?]

#EDIT: I just thought about how sharp an axe can be, so on second thought it probably would mangle a bunch of chains (but it's much easier to fix chainmail than cloth Cheesy)

&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #25 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 8:20am

Quote:
"have you ever tested your chainmail against an axe or something similar?"
[how do you make those block quotes?]

On the person's post you want to quote there is a word that says "quote". it's next to the modify link.

i was browsing The Ring Lord. and they say that 3/8 I.D.  or smaller links out of a 12 ga. luminum are 'super armour' strength.  while for 'armour strength' in 16 ga. they need to be at most 1/4 in.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #26 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 5:45pm

I don't know about that. I guess they must have a way of measuring what "armor strength" is. I started by stripping copper wires (taking the plastic off), then cutting it into little strips, then wrapping those around a glue stick. Then, I didn't like the color of copper (or how it oxidized) so I started looking for a better material. I didn't want iron or steel, because they CAN rust (I've had something that claimed to be stainless steel rust on me...), so it would really suck to make a huge suit only to have it rust on you. Anyway, I just selected a wire guage of similar size to my last one. I then decided to wrap it around a smaller circumference and it evolved from there. So I have no idea what "armor strength" is. I just chose whatever was convenient and most importantly:
SHINY
Tongue
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2006 at 9:01pm by Altay »  

&&
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #27 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 8:42pm

Well, I'm just over halfway through with my sling (ignoring any work the chainmail was). Here's a picture of my progress:

Detailed Image at: http://www.altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/sling_cm.jpg

&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #28 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 9:50pm

Looks good. chainmail appears 'condensed' in that pic .if it's sewn that way. the chain mail will form a nice pocket when loaded right? aluminums wicked light, and it's full of holes so this might work quite well

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #29 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 10:18pm

Looks great Altay! We've had more than a few debates about chain mail slings but you are the first to step forward and do something about it. Smiley

Looking forward to the full report!

Matthias

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)