Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Spears (Read 8025 times)
chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Spears
Feb 16th, 2006 at 6:58pm

Hey, everyone.

I was looking over some primative hunting techniques the other day. I found alot of stuff on the atlatl, but nothing on a simple hunting spear.

By simple hunting spear, I mean a heavier spear meant to actually stab an animal with who has been driven tword you (or an enemy). I've seen an couple movies (one of which was directed by an Eskimo) where they use these for hunting.

I was wondering if any of you had any information. What I've been trying to do here is figure out the reasons people have used what they used and why. Why spear an animal face-to-face if you can kill it from a distance?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Re: Spears
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 8:14pm

It's easier to aim for the vitals if the animal is 2-3 yards in front of you rather than from 20-30. sure, it's more dangerous, but in the long run, you might have to dispatch an animal wounded from a distance with a hand spear.  That, and a hand spear of the non throwing variety is easier and less costly to construct than one that needs to be propelled in some fashion.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 8:27pm

I think kings and knights liked spear and even sword hunting because they thought it was more manly or challenging. Its more like a fight then a hunt.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 8:51pm

kind of like "chuck norris dosn't go hunting, because that implies a risk of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing."

It's a lot easier to get a fish or frog with a spear than an atlatl.

I think there were some 'coming of age' rituals that involved spear hunting.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 4:15am

Ha!  Chuck Norris facts.
  I can only really see spear hunting as being practical either when you are a fantastic trust stalker, or when there is nothing else to hand.  A long spear is presumably a good weapon against big predators, like bears, lions, etc, too.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 10:22am

From reading 'the clan of the cave bear', and the rest of the series, I go t the impression that hunting holding a spear came before hunting throwing a spear. I know these are novels and might be wrong.

And if you throw your spear and miss, or do not hit the vitals in such a way that the animal drops down, you may not have a backup ready for a second try if the animal charges you. So it does make sense to have a backup yourself or someone next to you, who holds a spear.

And when fighting people, never throw a weapon to your enemy that they can pick up and use against you.
So pikes instead of javelins.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 10:58am

about using your own weapons against you. romans had a 'pilum' which you could throw through a person or shield. then the point would bend or break, making it useless for a second.

also, i do remember seeing a documentary where certain tribes in Africa take spears and chase animals (big animals that is) until the animal just lost its will to live and became exhausted (a whole day's worth of constant running under the sun). The animal would just stand there as the men speared it. It was actually pretty sad, but the tribe was just trying to survive.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 1:05pm

i made a spear not long ago with a machete blade, here is the spearhead compaired with my 9" blade bowie
staff is bamboo covered with PVCfilm (a gardening stuff) and it has a spike on the rear end
I have never hunted with it but i think it would be possible to take a boar from short distance, i tried it on a big pork and it got into the chest like a hot knife on butter. accuracy needs only a short training for a boar sized target (i've speared some carps with a frog jig spearhead at 10 yards from my kayak and it wasn't too difficult)

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Jeff_S.
Tiro

Central Texas
Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 1:18pm

Quote:
also, i do remember seeing a documentary where certain tribes in Africa take spears and chase animals (big animals that is) until the animal just lost its will to live and became exhausted (a whole day's worth of constant running under the sun). The animal would just stand there as the men speared it. It was actually pretty sad, but the tribe was just trying to survive.

I sort of do the same thing at work. If I get called to get a wild bird out of a store, I obviously can't shoot it with a pellet gun or simular. I have to chase it around the store with a super soaker water rifle! The bird gets so tired after a few hours that I can walk up to it and pick it up with my hands. Those are fun.

As for hunting with a spear, I'll over simplify the subject: Predatorary animals can be hunted with a spear because of the fight factor. Veggie animals like a deer or gazelle, which have the flight factor, need to be stalked and shot.  Obviously there are exceptions to this. We've all seen paintings of mammoths being speared. But I think you can see where I was going with this......

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 6:03pm

Quote:
kind of like "chuck norris dosn't go hunting, because that implies a risk of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing."

It's a lot easier to get a fish or frog with a spear than an atlatl.

I think there were some 'coming of age' rituals that involved spear hunting.

Chuck Norris's tears can cure cancer, but he doesnt cry.

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 9:31pm

Quote:
about using your own weapons against you. romans had a 'pilum' which you could throw through a person or shield. then the point would bend or break, making it useless for a second.

I saw that documentary, too! Incredible stuff. The secret seems to be that a human, while slower and plodding compared to the animal, can simply keep at the trail long enough that the animal can't get a break in the shade. I didn't feel too bad for the animal. As far as I'm concerned, that guy earned it!!

IP Logged

simia

"sumus romanus et non
barbari" latin

cleavland-akron
Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 10:30pm

"I sort of do the same thing at work. If I get called to get a wild bird out of a store, I obviously can't shoot it with a pellet gun or simular. I have to chase it around the store with a super soaker water rifle! The bird gets so tired after a few hours that I can walk up to it and pick it up with my hands. Those are fun.  " 

what do you do man ! 

vita gladio, mortis gladio Live by the sword die by the sword
simia+6+6+1943  
IP Logged

Jeff_S.
Tiro

Central Texas
Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 10:59pm

Quote:
what do you do man !  

Ha! Critter control. Bugs, rodents, birds, snakes, you name it.  As long as it's not domesticated and a nusiance, it's fair game.

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:13pm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=496702650726155532 try watching this the spears on www.primitivesupply look good to sorry iv not been on in a while

listen to old people

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:20pm

Welcome back, nice to see you here once in a while.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)