Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: plastic bag slings!
Reply #30 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 3:07pm

This is not really a plastic bag sling, because I made it out of a waste strip of tyvek from work, but tyvek is plastic and so it fits here  Cheesy

It is about 65 cm (2') long from the retention loop to the middle of the pocket, and nearly a meter (3') till the fluffy ends of the release cord. I have only used it empty in the house yet, but I hope to get a little crack out of it when using it for real.

To make it I twisted the plastic strip and braided that, the pouch is woven, as you can see. If it does not work like this I will tape it over.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #31 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 7:17pm

very nice, i like the pouch idea! i never thought to use that with a plastic sling. i have to try it, what kind of weave did you use and how many strands?

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #32 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 11:09am

I used 8 strings for the braid, added one string for the pouch. But I added it in such a way that a short piece was there for the warp and the long length for the weft.

So I had 9 strings for the weft. At the end of the pouch I did place both those strings in the center of the braid, as a core, and cut them after a short lenght.

To weave in this pattern you need an odd number of strings, any odd number will do, but I find seven a bit on the skinny side fora pouch, and you never know how much longer the string for the weft needs to be.

It worked well, also because the string is really stiff. And I know the plastic will behave more like leather then like paper so I hope it will stay sturdy enough.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #33 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 6:13pm

Very Very interesting. I am also going to try to make a weaved plastic pouch! Looks good! 

Much more time on my hands this week! Spring break and i am just relaxing the whole time!(kinda feel lazy tho :-P) oh well...

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #34 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:15pm

agh. ive been trying to duplicate the woven plastic one i just gave to a friend. for some reason i can't get my hands on a walmart bag. all the other plastic bags stretch way too much an break when i twist them. any helpful hinds. i just started to make chording recently. could someone put up the link to the thread with chording. i know you twist it real tight and then double it over and twist the oposite direction. but one side keeps unravling! help I'm thinkin about just trying the sliding handles in the trash bags, the yellow or red draw string kind. that stuff is much stronger and feells nice on the skin. I conclude that plastic bags are great things to make a qwik sling but i need more consistency in width and thickness. so i'm going to try something better suited. could you guys think of anything else thats plastic that i could obtain for free that is a bit stronger that a plastic bag? i can't seem to find any tyvec.

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #35 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 11:40am

well it might not be free but i bet you have a bunch laying around the house. I've used the clear type garbage bags before. The are a lot larger and you get more out of just one bag. I think i made a sling w/ just 2 garbage bags. Give it a shot. I also used heavy duty garbage bags, they worked great.

For more consistency with plastic bags, actually use a ruler or measure out where you are goin to cut the strips. It helped me a lot to do that.

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #36 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 11:37pm

yeah, i've been doing it a similar way, i just lay the plastic on some wood and take some sort of straight edge and take a box cutter and cut it.

By the way, even with even pieces of plastic, i get to were the chord is just getting taught and it snaps. i think i'm going to give up on grocery bags and go for Industrial heavy duty bags. their similar to what i think your talking about fi3l2. but they're thicker and amazingly strong. i'll try it out this weekend and tell you guys the results

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #37 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 11:48pm

yep those are exactly what I am talkin about. They are super strong esp when braided together to make a sling.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #38 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 12:03pm

Harryman,
Maybe you twist the plastic to much. It needs little or no twist to make a sling, but if you overtwist you weaken it.

But the heavy duty plastic bags sound good too.
If the edge is sharp or uneven, it might be better to twist it. But this too, do not twist more than needed.

Willeke

IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #39 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 12:55am

Alright, time for the n00b of the forum to jump in and ask:

How did you turn the bags into cord in the first place?

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #40 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 5:22am

I used a little machine at work which is nothing but a stick rotating, powed by a sewingmachine engine and controled by the pedal the sewing machine used to use.

You can as easily use a spinning stick or drop spindle, because you are not going to spin large amounts.

A spinning stick is nothing but a stick which is long enough to collect the wound yarn with a bit left over to use to spin. For a test a pencil can do, in real use you can prefer a longer one, like half a meter (1 1/2') or shorter.
The stick should have a straight end, pointed will do too, but no hook.

Tie (or tape) the start of the string to the stick and start rolling the stick so the 'string to be' rolls around it, pull it of the free end of the stick and see that you made some twists in it. Repeat till there is enough twist in the lenght you are working on and roll it on the stick, farther away from the end. Lead the last bit of string from the wound bit to the end of the stick and repeat with the next bit of 'string to be'.

This is a crude photo guide to using the spinstick. The tape in the photos is 2 cm wide and a little unwilling. But I guess that you can get the idea.

For a dropspindle, look for beginning with hand spinning on the web.

Willeke
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2006 at 6:46am by Willeke »  

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #41 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 3:02pm

Quite genius.... I personally have never done any spinning before so i will have to try it!

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #42 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 9:46pm

good idea. I just crammed the ends of a plastic bag into the chuck of an 18 V drill.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #43 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 12:34pm

The drill works much faster, but you have to be aware of the dangers, so always work in a setup that stops when you panic and let go of the button.

Willeke

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #44 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 6:38pm

Good tip, after working with full saws or welding equipment, it's easy to forget the danger of even a drill. Anyway, I'm too lazy to come up with a special rig, so my finger's always on the trigger.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark)