Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
plastic bag slings! (Read 12541 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: plastic bag slings!
Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 4:55pm

Tyvek slings would be interesting Willeke! I have a few projects that have been waiting on a small supply - if you want to buy it here you are forced into 100m rolls of the stuff. I sometimes check the construction dumpsters after they've sheathed a house but so far no luck...

I found a neat little tool at a japanese dollar-store. It is a miniature, hand-cranked paper shredder that looks like one of the school-type wall mounted pencil sharpeners. Anything you feed in the top comes out in nice 3mm or so strips! I bet a full sized paper shredder would make quick work out of preparing tyvek, so long as you had a long enough strip to start with.

Matthias

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #16 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 11:03pm

cool stuff. i recently made a 24 in. (not counting tassley things at the ends) length out of grocery bags. it's five ply; 3,  3/4in. strips per ply. it's a little bit thicker than paracord and surprisingly strong. makes a nice sharp crack when used like a whip Roll Eyes. not entirely sure where to go from here, maybe i'll use it in a sling.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #17 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 11:43pm

question: when you twist the cords. how do you keep them from unraveling or twisting back over while you make the others?

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 12:57am

Harryman
  That sucks that the boy scouts are so hypocritical, concidering a den leader was telling about the trebuchet they may build next year.  I told him about my slinging addiction and he said he would love to have me teach his den how two build and use them. He thought it would help teach them about the basic physics of projectile throwing. How could a sling be a concealed weapon? Without a stone it is nothing more than a piece of leather and a ball of string. Weapon? Yes, but only to those experienced. Not the weapon of choice for a quick draw. Boy Scouts dont know what they're missing.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 11:42am

Quote:
question: when you twist the cords. how do you keep them from unraveling or twisting back over while you make the others?

It depends on the material.
With the tyvek, once the twist is in I pull it hard and enough twist stays in. With other plastics that might not be enough. In that case, the same as with all cord. Roll it onto something as soon as twisted enough and keep it like that till needed.
Or twist 2 or more strips at the same time, separately, and twist them in the opposite direction together, like making rope by hand.

Or, when braiding, do not pre-twist your plastic, but give it a twist with each braiding move.

Matthias, I send you a PM.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 8:02pm

i read that post on how to make cordage w/ different materials and i guess I am still confused how to make sure the cord doesnt unravel. I am gonna try it tonight again but we'll see

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 9:12pm

just remember when you are twiesting it, double and then twist the opposite way.  otherwise you will get absolutely nowhere.  cordage making is really not that herd.  the hardest part is making sure the initaly twisted fibers don't break from over twisting, but that probably wont happen untill you start making thread thin strands.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 11:27pm

Thanks siguy!  That will help!

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #23 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 8:01pm

all great ideas, i found a good one. similar to tyvek. have you guys ever laid pine straw? well the orange plastic string works amazing. but plastic bags are just great. now i've been playing with hemp so we'll see how that goes. i have extremly thin hemp so it should make for a  good sling.

I've gone crazy, though sinse joining this web site i've made 38 slings! and they all work. i'm making most of them for friends, but i find myself trying to make a better one every time and cant decide which one i wish to keep.

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #24 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 8:53pm

#* 38 Slings!?

Wow! I'm lagging behind, I only made three sling, and two staff slings (of course I've re-esembled them again and agian)

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #25 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 7:06am

i seen what may be perfect for those of you makeing plastic bag slings it called knot-a-bag  i seen it in the camping section at work (wal-mart)  its a 30'+ continuos length of 12" wide plastic two rolls and a  container for less then$5

bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #26 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 8:20am

38 slings is quite alot.  i probably have something like twenty floating around(more if  you count the bits of string that i tied into three strand pouches and haven't untied yet) most of them are split pouch braided slings, but i only really use two or three of them.  these have leather pouches sewn on to the pouches.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #27 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 11:22am

Well, I decided to give a plastic bag sling a shot, unaware at the time that I have never made cordage from anything...

It was purely experimental, so I decided to see what all the excitement over a wrist loop is all about in the process. It's constructed from Demoulas grocery bags, the type so thin, they're semitransparent. I used a five ply, 3 strips per ply, style on the retention cord; The release cord uses a three strand braid, each strand is 2 ply, 4 strips per ply. The pouch is made out of duck tape, and is very strong. I'm going to redo it soon though, since the shape is off, and it was done in a rush/sloppily.

No logic behind the parts of the sling, I was just experimenting.
Close up of the two different cords:
The cords are surprisingly strong, but light weight. I'm not going to try hanging from them, but they're definitely adequate for slinging.
This is my shortest sling by far, if you haven't made a short one, I highly recomend it. Still packs quite a punch. If you've been practicing with a long sling, then switch to a short one, you'll be amazed at the accuracy.

Redundant Disclaimer to prevent an immediate loss of all respect: I havent made cordage before.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #28 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:56pm

i have made a split pouch braided sling out of rope.  i then took it outside, slung some largish rocks, and then looped over the limb of a tree, and hung from it, one hand on each end of the sling. 

btw, nice work.  i made a sling out of nylon cord and duct tape the other day.  i made it for throwing snow balls and tennis balls though.

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #29 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 4:23pm

i made one with a split pouch. i wish i culd find my digital camera cord. i'd show you guys in a heart beat. but, yeah, after the cordage is done, it's really all down hill from there. what i do is a slightly diferent process.
    I do use multiple strips but i have each one at aboout 2 cm wide and 20 cm long and then i overlap the peices and twist the ends with a sheet bend knot. i then take a gator clip(similar to the clips that hold chip bags shut) and duct tape a pencil to it on one of the handles and put the pencil in a power drill. i then clamp the gator grip down on the end of a length of bag strips and duct tape the aposing end to the ground, and then i turn on the drill. once it's tight enough i have my brother help me to switch the drill to the center of the line and double it over. then i drill again. it's a much faster process, and it make the cord very evenly distributed and tight. also at the end i made sure all the small little knot were flush with the line. you can hardle see them because they are so small.

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15)