Send Topic Print
plastic bag slings! (Read 12539 times)
harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
plastic bag slings!
Feb 13th, 2006 at 6:20pm

They are freaking amazing. i just got done with one 10 minutes ago and used duct tape and plastic bags. i couldn't use proper ammo but i had a tennis ball and threw it 100 feet at least! There great and light and surprisingly strong, and the finger loop is very comfy.
Just thought i should share what i found,  i know someone just mentioned it earlier in the forum, but i was wondering if there would be a better style of pouch to make than one that is similar to the split woven one. Oh and were the heck can i find really thin and good quality hemp? and for how much?

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Re: plastic bag slings!
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 8:08pm

Havn't tried the pastic yet. Is it realy that good?

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 11:04pm

plastic bags are great for making slings.
for me it only takes 3 bags to make one and it does sling amazing. I dont know about how long it will last but its only 3 plastic bags and like harryman said.. it takes almost no time to make one.  I would say to make a split woven pouch but before you finish it off, weave a pouch made of leather or tape into the pouch
just like in this article  http://www.slinging.org/13.html

if need be, i could post a video of me cutting the bags and putting them together to make the "strings"(which can be made a long or as short as needed).

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 11:09pm

I wouldn't say it is as nice as say a woven hemp or nylon one, but since nearly everyone has tape and plastic bags, it's basically free. It performs almost if not as good as my leather and parachute chord one. i've been making so many slings for some reason though, it's weird i'm almost as inthused about slinging as paintball. but this is something the old man can't take away from me. especially know. whenever i look at some throw away scrap material i think, "how could i use this to go do something fun and amuse myself, by making a sling or something of that nature."

But my friends really think i'm crazy. and i know i am about painball, were all on a team, but they think this is some stupid hobbey. i gotta figure away to get one of them hooked.

Some bad news though. slings are banned in BSA(Boy Scouts of America) because they are considered a concealed weapon, unless they are under supervision of an authorized individual who has a permit for something. If thats not a load rubbish, i don't know what is! They let us shoot guns and launch bricks and bowling balls from trabuchets. but they don't wan't us slinging a tennis ball at a target. I cant leagally get the BSA permit until i turn 18 eather. but then i can supervise and teach kids how to real murder weapons too Angry

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 2:25am

i do have to agree... it is quite amazing what you are allowed to leave in the BSA if slinging is considered illegal... Hell even learning to build campfires is potentially 100x more dangerous than learning a great hobby such as slinging...
sad indeed

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:36pm

If you want more info on plastic bag slings,
here
, and  
here
are threads in which they are discussed, with a different pouch too.

Willeke
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2006 at 11:08am by Willeke »  

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:44pm

Mine are no where near as nice or intricate as Klarh's slings but that gives me an idea and i think i'll be making one out of white, brown, and blue sacks. it'll be somewhat difficult to figure out a way to weave it, either the way Klar did, or my own way. But my own way needs about 12 meters of the stuff, i think the french braded one is the best. Has any one figured a way to twist the stuff into thin chord permanently?

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:57pm

Ok I have a potential idea to get your freinds involved Harryman, and it relates to what I'm doing myself.

This even got my girlfriend onboard!

My initial forray's into slinging were met with lukwarm responses until I introduced the idea of slinging water ballons. Now everyones interested. My girlfriend made the pouch, and one of my friends even helped punch the grommets! Granted my girlfriend is a boyscout her self and likes trying new things.

I am so glad that I have an excuss to sling, and have my friends there to do it with me. I think one of my friends even want's to make one himself, but I won't push it until he says he will. We'll see

I hope that's usefull somehow.
-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 9:33pm

I'll try and do that once it starts warming up. So far I've amazed them throwing tennis balls and dropped their jaws with stones. Their just amazed by how far they go, but they think that trash bags are rediculous. soon i'll make one like the braded sling on the website and i'll have all of my friends on board.

By the way, where can i get some hemp twine?!

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 9:38pm

try a dollar store or flea marked for really good deals.

otherwise walmart, home depot, craft stores, or even some of those mega supermarkets

IP Logged

Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 11:47pm

Well, my plastic slings take quite a while to make, but that's just because I'm a stubborn purist.  Grin

I recently made a wider-pouched version, but never got to test it before my uncle, who lives away, asked for it. Of course, I let him have it(spread the art!). I should really make another.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 11:20am

Hemp twine is also sold in garden (suply) stores, stores for the fishing industry and craftshops, (expect to pay more in those last.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 6:16am

anyone ever try seranwrap or stretch wrap  as it is sometimes called     i use it alot at work    and would love to get one of those rolls in my truck   but  wal mart keeps an eye on that stuff lol

bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 3:29pm

that may work better that a plastic bag. but it would cost some money. not much but i'm cheep, so naturally anything i get for free i'll  use. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 4:09pm

If you work in a place where pallet loads come in, you may be able to get the wrapping when it comes of the boxes. It will often be cut, but the leftover lengths are still long enough to be usefull.

And do they use each roll of wrapping film to the end?
I have worked in several places where they had automated systems. There they often took the rolls of before they had run out completely. Still, only a little left on each, but for crafting a sling you need only a little.

I have been playing with a 2 cm wide strip of tyvek. This is a plastic with the same chemical build as plastic bags, but a different, much sturdier structure. I had to twist the strip into a string before I could braid it. But the result is much to thick to be usefull. I need to get hold of some narrower strip to make a new try.

Willeke

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, vetryan15)