Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New untested sling (Read 2760 times)
Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
New untested sling
Feb 12th, 2006 at 5:44pm

Sorry no pictures . I just finished a jute sling with a 5 string braid on the release cord and retention cord . I weaved a pouch that splits down the center thru the ten available strings. Its also assymetrical . I then sewed some deerskin to the pouch to take the wear and tear of use . It has a wrist loop and I think I can manage lager stones now . The jute string is fiberous and I'm wondering if anyone has soaked thers in some sort of wax substance to help perserve the string . I'm also dipping my sling in some hot sauce to keep my dogs from chewing my sling . Any ideas? Smiley

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: New untested sling
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 8:50pm

I have a jug of twin/knot treatment that we use in commercial fishing gear. The active ingredient is "acrylic polymer" in a water based suspension. Depending on how dilute you use it, it can help preserve, keep clean and stiffen the netting. I've been playing around with it pretty much full strength (almost like PVA glue) as a way to make "stiff" braided slings.

A readily available substitute would be the glazing fluid that the faux-sponge painting types use. Should be cheap at the home center. PVA (white) glue might work as well, though mabe it would soften up with humidity/sweat? How about stockholm tar or the like (the burning pitch-ot guys could turn their attention to something less dangerous). Linseed oil or the like might work as well, though I seem to remember something about the acidity eating away at cordage.

Whatever you try, be sure to let us know! Maybe we need a comparison of different available treatments, initially as well as after a few months of hard use. Smiley

Matthias

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 8:55pm

Hmmm A old fasion answer to preserving and the dog I am sure stiffining too Try soaking it in linseed oil. then let it dry
Not a much better preserver I use it on every thing from wood to iron

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 9:06pm

lindseed oil is also great for handels. If you soak the handle in lindseed oil for 24 hours they flex, and break less.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 10:10pm

Three votes for linseed oil... Cheesy I still have a sneaking suspicion that there's a reason why oiled rope isn't more common. Tar all over the place, but no mention of oiled rope on sailing ships even though the hold is full of the stuff (for wood).

Matthias

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 7:24am

Because if you oil the ropes, sailors will be hurtling down on the board... Wink

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 7:36am

yeah but linseed dries stiff eventuly kinda leaves a laquer effect I use it on my corderd handles for knives

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 3:00pm

I do remember something, vaguely, about linseed oil being raw or 'cooked'.
Preparing had to be done on the spot and involved heating and cooling down several times without letting the oil getting hot enough to burn.
Would have been embaresing if your oil get burning just before you need it.

Knot tyers do use the pva glue (the white woodglue,) in with some water. 1 part glue on 2 parts water for work that needs to be stiff, to 1 part glue on 10 parts water for supple work. It should be water resistant.
Be carefull not to handle the work when wet, it picks up dirt real fast when still wet, it also gets a much rougher surface if handled when wet.

Whatever method you use, test on a bit of thesame string, before using it un your sling.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 4:16pm

What you buy these days as "boiled" linseed oil is actually treated with metallic dryers (poison!) to make it polymerise quickly. Raw linseed oil (food!) takes much longer to dry, uv (sunlight) etc help it to cure.

Matthias

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 8:15pm

I am a Member of TIGKT, and I didn't know that. Well keep it up this is great stuff to know.

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:26pm

As a member of the IGKT (International Guild of Knot Tyers,) I ask you to tell me what TIGKT stands for.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 2:11pm

Too late!! , my Great Pain...er, Great Dane that is, ate my sling . I had close to 20 hours in it but the second one is going faster and I'm going to linseed it . I had deer skin on the other which I believe lead to its demise . I will tape it up with flesh colored medical tape so I get a little use out of it before I hang it up. Sad

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 5:30pm

I'm sure if you wait a couple hours you can get the sling back Tongue

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 4:12am

well it was not tested but now it has been TASTED
(sorry i couldn-t resist temptation)

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 11:11am

It must of tasted terible as I smelt a insecticde when I first opened up the jute roll . I came across a hemp rope dealer that sells twine about the size of nylon mason string for about $6 a roll . They sell by weight not length ??? I hope they don't smoke it  Lips Sealed

My Great Dane puppy will go thru some training and I'll buy her some chew toys . She is already an inch over my Mastiff at 6 months . All legs . And she gallops thru the house playing with Max . Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy)