Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Horn Bows (Read 6514 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Horn Bows
Feb 12th, 2006 at 9:19am

Any one out there have any info on horn bows or has any one made one? What kind of horn did you use ?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Horn Bows
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 10:08am

I think boiled cow horns are used, but i dont know.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 11:52am

Just so happens I work with horn. OK... here goes
   The Middle Eastern and Mongolian archers would frequently make laminatedbows. The main part would be any kind of springy wood. The inside curve ( the curve that faces the archer) would have thin plates of horn laminated onto it. This was all wrapped up in tightly stretched and wetted leather.
  As the leather dries,it shrinks, getting even tighter and holding everything in place. The horn was also held in with hide glue.
  Here's the trick, and I am revealing a horner's secret here. Horn grows in layers and has a grain, much like wood does.If you look at it you can see that it goes pretty much straight up and down.
     You cut those areas into thin strips, and place them on the bow, so that the grain is vertical, or straight up and down.
  What this does,is when the bow bends, the horn acts like a spring, and gives more power to the bow when the string is released.
   If you look at traditional Mongolain bows, they are short, because they are used on horseback, however, everyone feared the bows because of their strength.
   The main disadvantage of a horn bow is that it is very weather sensitive. The leather and horn will expand and shrink according to the moisture content of the air.
i have no idea how the Mongols resolved that problem, or if they just lived with it.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 12:35pm

The mongolians would make laminated horn/sinew/wood recurve bows that were fairly efficient, short, narrow, and apt to shed thier string. They took generally about two years to make, but Tim Baker has made these within a week- you seriously have to know what you are doing.

The bows were made with gemsbok or water buffalo horn, had to be straightened with steam, and were cut into strips about 1 1/4" wide. The maple core had to be very precisely measured every few inches- because once the bow was made you could not tiller it. The bow was generally waterproofed by being coated in birch, willow, or cherry bark. 

However, horn and sinew are very dense and heavy. When made into a bow longer than perhaps 50", they are very sluggish unless massively reflexed and siyahed with some very stiff per mass wood.

have to go now.

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 1:35pm

Here's something you might find interesting.

http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-composite_bow.html

http://www.hornbow.com/

There's also a way to make a bow by putting a strong peice of wood between two gemsbok horns and simply stringing it. Takes 10 minutes to make and pulls over 100lbs on average.

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 2:51pm

www.atarn.org

Theres a good website on composite bows.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 3:50pm

WOW! Thanks guys. Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 4:38pm

What do you need to know this for? Do you have some horn being shipped from peter cua or overseas? Just curious. If you actually are getting some decent horn- take it slow and get some books on hornbows.

IP Logged

simia

"sumus romanus et non
barbari" latin

cleavland-akron
Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 5:09pm

from the iliad  book four around line 130, "Pandarus took up his bow of polished horn,
made from a nimble wild goat he himself once shot
under the chest, as it leapt down from a rock.
He'd waited in an ambush and hit it in the front.                                           
The goat fell down onto the rocks, landing on its back.                     
Horns on its head were sixteen palm widths long.
A man skilled in shaping horn had worked on them,                       130        [110]
so as to fit the horns together to create a bow.
He'd polished it all over, adding gold caps
snugly fitted on the tips."  he ends up shooting menalaus and ending the truce.  this bow (according to homer) was about 4 feet long so it fits the description.  i wish i had that bow Shocked

vita gladio, mortis gladio Live by the sword die by the sword
simia+6+6+1943  
IP Logged

simia

"sumus romanus et non
barbari" latin

cleavland-akron
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 5:30pm

it must fhave been pretty powerfull too because the results( im reading book four for school) were
"Athena led the arrow
to the spot where the gold buckles on the belt                                             
rest on the joint in the double body armour.
The keen arrow dug into the leather strap,
passed right through the finely decorated belt,                                160
through the richly embossed armour, the body mail,
his most powerful guard, worn to protect his flesh,
by blocking spears and arrows. The arrow pierced it,
going through that mail, and grazed the skin of Menelaus.
Dark blood at once came flowing from the wound. 
That sounds pretty powerfull.

simia+6+6+1943  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 5:30pm

ah yes but no man was strong enough to even string it but odyssius Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

simia

"sumus romanus et non
barbari" latin

cleavland-akron
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 7:05pm

realy,( ive only read through book four)  how (or better queston why) did he do that when pandorus was a trogen

simia+6+6+1943  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 7:49pm

they where trying to take over his kingdom and his wife. I would of shot him Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

simia

"sumus romanus et non
barbari" latin

cleavland-akron
Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 8:24pm

bet he regrets stringing that bow
Grin

simia+6+6+1943  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 8:47pm

haha yes indeed Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris)