simia+6+6+1943  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: acient grenades
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 12:56pm

i dont think there were any explosives (only incindiaries) until gunpowder. by the time that was used for weapons i wouldn't really consider it 'ancient'

maybe heating rocks until they explode  Tongue

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 1:05pm

They had jars that could be filled with volatile substances. One was a mixture of oil, sulfur, and resin. When it shattered, the flaming oil would fly and stick everywhere.
    They also had stinkbombs, made of resin, sulfur, tow, (worn out rope covered in oil and tar) and ground horn or horsehooves. Tongue
   It's possible, I suppose to have jars of Greek Fire, but I haven't heard of anything like it. Anyone else?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 1:08pm

There is one problem with these rocks - to make them explode when you want and where you want Wink.
IIRC there is some weak evidence that arabs used ceramic molotov cocktails(Molotov was born much later, though) filled with crude oil and something which make it catch fire easier, some old paintings and engravings shows arab warriors with many heart-shaped flasks in bandolier and burning torch in hand...
But except pitch and maybe crude oil, nothing similar was used until gunpowder came in. If you don't count chinese using fresh bamboo thrown in fire to scare away nasty animals, that is.

EDIT: You were faster, badger! Darn it...

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 9:37pm

hmm they had them in the crusades. I have a pic somewhere..

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 12:13am

i'm thinking of grendades as something that explodes and fragments to kill/maim, not burn....

incindiaries are still awesome though  Cheesy

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 10:05am

oh. I think that maybe if you sealed them up they would explode?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 1:29pm

They wouldn't, because you are cutting oxygen intake in the same time. Unless they are mixed with oxidizer, that is, but after that, it is just variation on gunpowder. Maybe methane grenades? Explosive farts... Oh my God Shocked.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 11:02am

It must be said, that the 8th century CE in China is actually considered part of the modern era, but you might consider it ancient; in any case, Tang dynasty scientists, searching for the elixir of immortality, discovered gunpowder, and started to blew things up and shoot things.  Don't be fooled by the Western myth that the Chinese used gunpowder only for fireworks - the first illustration of it in use is in a military capacity.

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 11:47am

Basically, they used it for fireworks - rockets, bangers and such. That these rockets were fired at enemies and bangers weighting 10+ kilograms placed under walls to collapse them is another matter Grin.
IIRC, this illustration shows some type of rocket, or some arrow with a rocket attached, am I right?
What an irony - they were searching for an elixir of immortality and found an elixir of mortality Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 12:02pm

Yes, that is the great irony of it.  Actually I believe the first use of gunpowder shows a giant arrow with a gunpowder device attached, shot from a bed mounted crossbow in the Song dynasty, but yes, gunpowder was used for fireworks. It is interesting that east Asia has the longest use of gunpowder, but bows lasted as official military weapons in Korea until the 1890s, and in China until the Boxer rebellion (I believe.)

IP Logged

simia

"sumus romanus et non
barbari" latin

cleavland-akron
Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:51pm

THAT IS INTERESTING

vita gladio, mortis gladio Live by the sword die by the sword
simia+6+6+1943  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 11:44am

I doubt it counts, but they had sappers dig under fortifications and plant lots of pig carcasses, which they would then set on fire...which would then explode.

Also, flaming pigs I believe were used in some battles! Early guided missile!

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 11:57am

It's interesting to a Sinologist, simia.
  Pigs are intelligent and tasty animals.  What a waste.  They'd be so overcooked.

IP Logged

simia

"sumus romanus et non
barbari" latin

cleavland-akron
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 10:39pm

ifr you won the battle you could get a good meal  Grin

vita gladio, mortis gladio Live by the sword die by the sword
simia+6+6+1943  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)