Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm back (Read 1507 times)
ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

I'm back
Feb 10th, 2006 at 2:28pm

I used to regularly visit and post on this site.  I forgot my old username.  I think it was Ammon or ArizonaSlinger or something. Now that I think of it, this might be the second time I've been back. 

For those of you that have been coming here for a while, I was the one that met with knollslinger and filmed his unique style.  Unfortunately, my computer crashed and I lost all my data.  I got too busy with school and I then I got married.  It has been a while since I've posted because I've been embarrssed about letting all you guys down.  For those of you that remember, EVERYBODY was anxious to see knollslinger's slinging methods.  To help you remember this, he is the guy that said he learned how to sling in his youth in Colorado.   He said he could do 1/4 mile.

Last I heard, knollslinger lives in Arizona. His throw is similar to that of a discuss thrower. He also uses a sling that is about 6 feet from pouch to loop.  He throws 200 + gram rocks.   I saw him put a hole through two pieces of plywood!  The two pieces of plywood were back to back and were leaned against some tumbleweeds. 

I hope that knollslinger still comes here.  I would feel bad if he stopped comming because of his dissapointment in how I just dropped of the face of the earth after filming him.

So I apologize to him and anyone else that was anxious to see the footage.

ArizonaSlinger

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: I'm back
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 3:31pm

Welcome back, Arizonaslinger.
I tried to look up the names you think you remembered, but they are not in the list.

You can have a look for yourself it you go to members in the heading of each page, and search through the members list by letter. Or if you remember when you where a member, just click on a members name in the main list and look for the date he (or she) joined and search on that knowledge.

Do you still have that video?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 6:34pm

Welcome back Almulek!

Tom

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 8:18pm

Welcome back!  I think your name is Ben, right?

Don't worry about the video.  We are all just happy to hear from you agin!  Congrats on your marriage!

We heard from Knollslinger about a month ago after a long disappearance.  He mentioned that he was in trouble and lost his job.  Haven't heard from him since.

See you around!

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 3:18am

Welcome back ArizonaSlinger and congrats for your marriage  Smiley  people comes and goes and sometimes it's difficult to keep in touch, specially when getting big changes in life, so don't worry  Wink Happy to have you back here.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 2:34pm

ArizonaSlinger,

Welcome back!

Did you used to be known as Almulek?  I found your old posts ... 33 posts under that name, including the one where you recounted seeing Knollslinger put a stone almost through two sheets of plywood (but I don't know how thick the plywood was -- I'm guessing half-inch?).

Hey, 'way back then you asked Knollslinger for advice on making a sling like his.  Your experience sounds very much like mine ... I made a Knollslinger-style sling out of deerskin leather; I cut the pouch out by tracing around a credit card, punched holes in the corners (about 3/16-inch from the edges), threaded my paracord through each side.  It worked quite well.  The holes in that pouch have stretched some, but never torn.

I read somewhere that deerskin is considered one of the strongest leathers as far as tensile strength is concerned (and if you are interested, kangaroo leather is considered stronger than deerskin and also resists abrasion much better --  a company called David Morgan, in Washington, sells kangaroo leather goods and also tanned skins for those that want to make their own things -- www.davidmorgan.com). ;

Do not worry about absenting yourself.  I've been here just over a year, and most of us seem to phase in and out.  I shot my mouth off quite frequently in my early days, but I don't post a lot any more.  I asked Chris about this, and he confirmed that most folks seem to do the same.  Some just disappear, maybe they lost interest in slinging.  Some seem to just read for a while unless they discover something they think worth sharing.

If you hear from or see Knollsinger, say hello from us and let him know that we still think about him.  I don't think anybody has a way to get a message to him except through this forum, however.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 5:46pm

right, i've been reading these forums long before I joined. I expect that at some point i'll stop posting unless i have something other people are interested in reading. i imagine that i'll always be reading though...

nothing to worry about now.
i suppose this is ironic and hypocrtical because you've been here longer than me but: welcome back! great to have another mind out there for slinging.org.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 6:08pm

Knollslinger was the fellow with tungstun ammo right? I can remember him from when i was new.

welcome back Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 6:46pm

Knollslinger and TechStuf both have played around with tungsten.  Pure tungsten is about 70% denser than lead (11.3 g/cm3 for plumbum, 19.3 for wolfram).  But the stuff is expensive ... a 1-inch diameter sphere would weigh 165 grams and would cost about US$450 Shocked

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 7:42pm

yes i know, i wanted some and looked it up. I asked a company who makes them if they had any screwups i could buy cheaper they laughed at me Roll Eyes

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 7:48pm

WOW! if i had a $450 chunck of metal i couldn't bring myself to chuck it several hundred yards! ok, so i probably would. Sounds like the choice sling ammo of the gods.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 7:49pm

haha i saw a gold ball once and i pulled out my sling and said ..If i was a rich man.. Grin

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 8:19pm

Midas-The-Black Grin Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 8:47pm

Just looked em up. Funny how most places don't even publish the price.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15)