Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ideas for a slinging water-balloon war... (Read 6522 times)
Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Re: Ideas for a slinging water-ballon war...
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 1:34pm

On my way to getting some water ballons. I'll let you know How things go.

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
"It's ok their too far. Oh $#!^ LOOK OUT!"
Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:39pm

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Cheer* *Dance* *Lude movement*

The sling works beutifully! I am chucking these wet-bombs from one side of my parking lot to another. We are talking serious distance, further than I have ever seen anyone toss a ballon and then a whole lot more.

I am using the underhand method, but others work just as well. I will take pictures... I'm just a little intimidated by the craftmanship in this group. I am afriad it wont make par.

In any case it works, now I'm going to make another sling so I can stress test this design with a friend, and use the sci-method to determine what this sling is capable of.

I just purchased some  3.2 x 14.63 "Rope Braided Synthetic". which I'm using to use to replace the string I now have. Although the string seems to work fine now, I read on another thread that using braided instead of howser laid line will help prevent the strings from tangling, and I'm hoping to head off those sort of problems. The packaging didn't say what material it was other than it was sinthetic, which seems pretty obvious to me. I suspect it might be nylon, but the weave is tight. Any WAG's? (Wild Ass Guess)

I originally used a monkey's fist knot on the release cord, and a perfection loop for the anchor (toggle?). I am now going to use a finger strap as the anchor, and continue using a monkeys fist for a release. My hopes are that a finger strap will reduce finger fatigue, and increase comfort. Any thoughts suggestions?

Materials used so far..

*Light duty tarp
*Grommets
*"Synthetic" string
* Velcro finger strap
*Latex water ballons
*Small rock (will be replaced with bead of some kind)

Ok let me know if any of you guys know what this mystery  string might be.
-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 9:34pm

nylon is all that i've ever heard of as far as plastic rope goes. i know exactly what you're talking about and can even 'feel' it in my hand but I don't really know how to describe it. If it's braided and melts over a flame (making a lot of bad smelling blackish smoke in the process) I'd say its nylon (even though all synthetic materials do that). Also, if it's yellow; it seems that the standard color for nylon cord is yellow although I've seen it in other colors (yes I'm being 85% sarcastic).

O, another thing is, if you tie it in a knot and untie it a while later does it take up the shape of the knot?
Ok, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about but I do know what type of cord you mean.

sooo umm yeah....
Sounds pretty cool. You should schedule a huge waterballoon fight, get everyone involved. Then schedule it at a place where it's very difficult to hand throw the distance. Arm everyone on your side with slings, and let the slaughter commence.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 6:55am

I am going to have a water-ballon war. The current tenative location is an open clearing inside of my home Archery range. I'm considering allowing some sort of shelter, considering the force that these Water-bombs come careening down with.

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 3:27pm

This is your
Local Area News

Breaking news, today.

*Journalistic music*

There have been reports of strange objects falling from the sky. People of the Davis community flee for shelter as liquid explosions rock local parks and fields.

One man who had been taking a casual walk in the park reported,”I didn’t hear anything until it was too late, I looked up and there was this bright streak and then… then water… water everywhere!”

“I think those dem orbs are one of dem secret government weapons. You know the ones made in dem underground laboratories. Dat or space invaders.”, said an area man.

One woman who had been driving home when she saw the alleged glowing orbs had this to say. “I don’t think these things are coming from space at all, but are being launched from some distant place.” When questioned further she said it might be terrorist.

Authorities have been unable to find any answer as of yet to this strange phenomenon.
We’ll keep you posted as these developments unravel.
This is LAN News, and I am Generic Reporter reporting good night.

That’s right folks,

GLOWING
WATER BOMBS!

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #20 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 5:51pm

too funny  Grin

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 6:25pm

LOL, awesome. I can actually seee something like that happening.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #22 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 12:34pm

I am currently working on my second water-bomb sling. I have the pouch together, but have yet to put the two strings on. It tseems that alot of people here simply use a release cord, and not any sort of knot.

What type of release do you use?
-For heavy glades?
-Smaller glades?
-etc...

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #23 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 2:41pm

what are you using for a pouch on them  Grin thinking of having a sort of one man war over here next summer Boy my friends are gonna be sorry they don't care for slings Roll Eyes

Taiki  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #24 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 12:38am

That would be pretty funny, however I think you had better promise to buy them dinner afterwards or they might clobber you in revenge.

I using this design for the pouch,

http://andypsionfan.users.btopenworld.com/trebsling/

I'm using rivets instead of thread, because I'm punching through aprrox 8 layers of tarp.

I'm going to post pictures, but I have no digital camera, so I'll be borrowing one fom my friend. When I do that I might be so bold as to attempt to explain how I did it, and maybe give a simple tutorial.  Smiley

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #25 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 3:33pm

Sounds pretty cool. I've got designs for a water balloon crossbow. Maybe I can send them to you for future reference and future attakcs, eh!

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #26 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 9:33pm

well i know it isn't primitive or anything. but if you want something for a decisive advantage in a waterballon fight that dosn't come with a steep learning curve. just get some surgical tubing at the hardware store. that stuff is amazing, you should be able to get some really impressive range. make a slingshot or 'cross bow' out of it. good for arming people on your side who don't have enough time to learn slinging

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: Ideas for a slinging water-balloon war...
Reply #27 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 4:29pm

i know  Grin but they have to

a) find out it was me

b) figure out where i am at

c) catch me before i reload

Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #28 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 7:19pm

LOL, great. Sed the plans!

Sling shots a great, and all, but I want my friends to really feel the shots (no not geting hit, I mean throwing). With a WB-sling or any sling for that matter you feel more connected to your projectile; making a scored hit all that more gratifying. That said, I think I'll chck that option out, Might make thins interesting...

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #29 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 7:40pm

when i become a millionaire and fly everyone to an international sling meeting, a massive waterballoon fight is going to be scheduled.

anyway, i'm thinking of a trebuchet with ten or more waterballoons  Smiley if not terribly practical for ani-personnel use, how about as a part of pyschological warfare.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris)