Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
a few more bows made (Read 1893 times)
Hellfire
Ex Member

a few more bows made
Feb 7th, 2006 at 8:04pm

I just made a few more bows recently. Hope you like them. I'll explain them more when I get some time.

here is an elm bow I made. Notice the major snake in the upper limb. Shoots really nice. Its about 45# or so, and 6foot long, made out of an elm stick.

Here is a narrow Cherokee style hickory bow I made. Its 6' long, and only 1" wide. It has only an inch of set, and it shoots great. Its about 55# at 28".

here is a very underbuilt elm bow with working recurves. Its about 55# at 26" draw, and its about 62 inches long. Shoots very well, and maintains about an inch of reflex.

Here is a red oak bow I just got done tillering.

I've got maybe six or seven other bows getting seasoned. Among those is a cherokee style ash bow made of a small diameter stave, a very unique red elm bow with an arrow rest made of a branch, a couple flatbows, an english style longbow made of elm, an elm recurve, a plum stickbow, and maybe a backed cherry recurve.

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Re: a few more bows made
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 1:25am

Very very nice!!!!

Any tips to an aspiring newbie to the art of bow making? Did you make your own strings or use something that was available? 

Really Really nice bows!

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 12:41pm

Wow nice bows!!
I'm gona make a pyramid style bow out of oak soon.  I'll post pics when it's done.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:54pm

pyramid style bow ?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 10:12pm

For the noob, I suggest first getting at least

1. hatchet
2. saw
3. rasp
4. pocket knife
5. and a sanding block. I like those 80 grit sanding sponges for like $1 at walmart.
6. Wedges would help for bigger staves
7. Halfways decent stock.

I suggest that all of you beginners out there start out making 6 foot long bows (so easy to make) that are around 35 to 50# pull at 26-29" draw length, and without recurves. Dimensions would be perhaps 1 1/2" wide at the handle, maintaining that width for two thirds of the limb, then tapering in straight lines to 1/2" or less nocks. This isnt written in stone, so feel free to screw around with it a bit. Have a lot of fun.

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 1:06am

Thanks for the info Hellfire!

I do have all of those tools and such at home, and this summer I am aspiring to make my first bow, until then my sling will have to do Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)