Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another rookie, we seem to come in swarms (Read 2002 times)
Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Another rookie, we seem to come in swarms
Feb 6th, 2006 at 11:28pm

Hello,

First I want to say, I am impressed with the consistent activity of this group. I feel that there is a lot to be learned here. I have been reading you forum for a number of months now and have found it entertaining to read and very informative.

A little about myself:
I have been learning instinctive Archery for two years now, and have a very strong interest in learning more ranged arts. I was originally trained in the use of the sword, mainly Italian Rapier (Capo Ferro), and some German Long Sword.  I daddled in knife throwing for a number of years, but it isn’t nearly as romantic as slinging.

I always had a passive interest in the sling. I would think about it while on the range, and talk to my friends about the ancient art often, but never actually did anything about it. I get pretty excited about my projects and have to focus sometimes, so I could not devote much time to actually learning to sling, until now.

I am planning a water balloon war for this coming summer, my original thought was constructing small traction trebuchet’s for the job, but it seems like the logistics of this may become difficult, and most importantly costly. Then I discovered the staff sling. I have built myself a staff-sling capable of lobbing grape fruit sized water-balloons approx, 135 ft (based on rough foot pacing calculations). I have no idea if this is a considerable distance or if I am falling short.  I am open to any sort of advice anyone here is willing to give. I am excited about learning how to sling, and hope that I can fit in around here.

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Re: Another rookie, we seem to come in swarms
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 1:09am

When you sling the balloon, has it ever burst from the forces of the swing before or right as you let it go? Ive tried slinging(not staff sling) and I just ended up all wet  8)

lol i did try tissue paper with a few pennies and baby powder... omg was that fun  Grin

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 2:32am

Welcome to the forum Unsapien Smiley
As for launching water baloons there's some devices with rubber bands or tubes that work like a slingshot. I also found a device that used copressed air, but it's range was short compaired to the mega slingshot device wich claimed over  250-300 yards. I think there are several brands, here is one:
http://www.slingking.com/ ; so you can get an idea of how it would work.
use google or any other search machine to find other brands

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 2:44am

Yes, actually a fair number of the ballons did burst, but they would send spectacular showers in the general direction of the throw. I was able to alleviate this problem a little by filling the water ballons with less water.

The fact remains though, the water-ballons wall simply cannot stand that many G's. I havn't come up with any creative ways of solving this problem.

It appears that using four rivets as the anchoring rings on the pouch may allow for greater flexability, which in turn may help stablize the water ballon. Not sure yet, needs more work. pictures to come!

This is the pouch style I am using.
http://andypsionfan.users.btopenworld.com/trebsling/

I like this style because it grips the ammo until release, making loading alot easier. I use brass rivets, and light duty tarp as my sling folded in this fashion.

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 2:55am

Thank you for the warm Welcome Zorro. I have seen those products before and those sling shots look like alot of fun, but I wanted to make something myself, and then use it.

I was actually hoping to work on a design that was simple and effective enough, that I could get a group of my friends together and have them build their own.

There's a certain feeling of pride, and community when you build something yourself, and share it with your friends that I just don't see happening with those launchers. Thank you for the thought though. It's a great idea, but I wanted to make the thing myself rather than buy it.    Smiley

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 10:20am

I can see why you like that pouch!! Seems like it would hold the ammo quite well indeed. The only other pouch that I have made that does anything close to that is most closely described here. It works good after a few throws and until the pouch forms the right shape

http://www.slinging.org/13.html

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 11:29am

Hi and welcome
Just for intrest which side would you join slingers or archers?

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 3:13pm

This is a tough question.
  Ideally I would have both, because a sling doesn't take that much room. I could carry in my pocket, while the other on my back. I used to imagine that exact setup while walking the range, along with a small accessable pouch for my glads.

As far as being dropped off somewhere stark naked with only raw materials... well I'd have to consider the pros and cons more carefully.

I know, I know the question was one or th other, but I say why settle for one? They both require skill. Slinging is more akin to my style of shooting anyway. Grin

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 4:55pm

water ballon war huh? if i lived near you I would drop by! Smiley

welcome!

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 7:40pm

Welcome Unsapien.

Chris

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 8:51pm

Welcome Unsapien. Try using two balloons one inside the other. This should give you enough strength for a good toss. Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 10:52pm

Welcome Unsapien!

I can reach about 150 yards with my old staff sling throwing rocks.  I have never thrown water balloons so I really can't say if 135 feet is a good range.

How long is you staff sling? and how long are the cords?

I think you'd fit right in here.  Many of us have played around with swords.  I had lessons in Iaido.

See you around!

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:27am

Thanks again for the warm welcome! Cheesy
Bigkahuna that's a idea good idea I'll try that next time I take it on a round for testing.

Tint, that sounds great! It does seem that stones go plenty far. I was able to send a stone hurling over a fair distance myself. (I didn't measure, went clean over or into a large body of water)

I do not have any measurments with me as of right now, but I plan to measure, and scale my gear out soon. I will have diagrams and pictures soon.

And thanks again, I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful slingfest!

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 8:33am

Welcome Unsapien Smiley

Sander

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 8:57am

welcome to this wonderful forum
I don't think It as a swarm as a invasion of lurkers lol Grin
welcome all

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker)