archers vs. slingers (Read 5725 times)
fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Re: archers vs. slingers
Reply #45 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 4:13pm

is there any other way to make poison besides w/ a snake? a combination of widely known and available plants mayb? boiling certain mold or such? anything else?

catchin a poisonous snake in the wild(God forbid I would ever need to use a skill such as this) w/o a handgun(using snake ammo)  could be a dangerous situation.

anything on whether cooking the animal would be suffcient enough to kill all the poison and eat it? even if the cooked animal is basically cooked till CHAR black?

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #46 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 4:33pm

hey guys...if we were going to do this, then would we wear normal clothes or would we dress up in togas and tunics?  would we wear gogles/facemasks(maybe paintball masks?)  and what type of materials would be allowed?  modern bows with adjustable tension?  only wood bows?  synthetic material slings or natural fibers?  we would have to figure this all out if anything was going to happen at all.  hey, who can be in the chat room on sunday?(in the pre-established chat time*)  maybe we could chat about it then.

*=link: http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=admin;action=display;num=1136...

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #47 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 2:33pm

This is a very interesting question.

I think it mostly depends on the objectives of the two parties. If the terrain was open and clear and the only objectives of the two parties is to survive then I don't think anyone would lose.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #48 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 11:13pm

And wear your homemade armour,if you have any. Grin

IP Logged

neolyth
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #49 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 10:34pm

yeah it's all fun and games till someone gets an eye poked out.
definitely eye protection at the very least.

my glorious mock battle memory involves blowguns, we were using modeling clay in .40 caliber aluminum tubes about 2 feet long, pegged a friend in the neck from about 25 yards in the  dark.
he was sillouetted and i remember aiming about 2 feet above his head, pufffft! and about a quarter second later he let out some expletives, it left a little semi-bruise that lasted a day or two.
great fun.

slings seem like they'd favor the trick of darting out of cover and firing on your way to more cover.
more like shooting skeet than riflery...  archery can be like skeet but it's a lot closer to riflery than slinging is for sure.
well good luck guys, i hope it happens.

IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Reply #50 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 7:57am

if you want to have a mock battle you should test either weapon, with real ammo at fake targets in different cover at different ranges.  Putting a piece of tennis ball on the end of an arrow wouldn't really be fair to the archer due to wind resistance and flight.  And with broad heads there isn't a whole lot of glancing blows.  Nicked by an arrow or brushed by a rock or piece of lead... wich one would you choose?

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #51 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 8:23am

Hmmm a cut or a bruise I dont know wich I choose

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #52 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 5:59pm

neither do i, but the broadhead at a glancing blow could be lethal if it his an artery. rock could be deadly if it glanced your temple.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #53 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 7:02pm

or if the bruise causes a blood clot wich clogs a artery causing a heart attact

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #54 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 7:21pm

Grin Grin Grin  now that is funny

infection from getting dirt in the cut, next thing you know blood poisoning Shocked

IP Logged

simia

"sumus romanus et non
barbari" latin

cleavland-akron
Reply #55 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 7:23pm

the tennis ball does kind of restrict the arrows distance butt  i can still get my bow to shoot about 100 yards with the quarter of a tennis ball on there

vita gladio, mortis gladio Live by the sword die by the sword
simia+6+6+1943  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #56 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 7:44pm

when i made mine, i just took an arrow, taped two coins to it, and then cut foam and glued it to the coins. Wrapped the whole thing in ducttape. It still hurt, and still flew well Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #57 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 7:52pm

Its like shooting flu-flus though,  at 25 -30yds my squirrel arrows don't really have any thing on them, but my regular arrows now thats a different story.  Accuracy comes from the arrow tuned to the bow, not on the bow alone, actually the arrows are more important.    And this question I assume was intented to see wich one we thought would be more useful in battle.  I guarantee that I can get better accuracy and grouping with my arrows at 100 yds without having tennis balls glued to the end of them.   Now the other suggestion was to give the sling weighted (caulk filled) balls to throw.  That would give an advantage for the sling because all of the ammo is the same size and weight, and a sphere shaped that was meant to be thrown.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick)