SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
archers vs. slingers (Read 5729 times)
brian w.

archers vs. slingers
Feb 2nd, 2006 at 6:28pm

who would win if the two groups of archers and slingers  fought.  lets say 40 of each both highly skilled in there weopon, lightly armerd and both carrying a buckler(small sheild.  bows are not longbows or recurved.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: archers vs. slingers
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 6:57pm

what type of bow isn't a longbow or recurve?

anyway, archers would definitely win. As great as slings are, you can shoot faster and with less effort with a bow. i know it's arguable but arrows can be more lethal than stones.

if the terrain didn't favor either side, there would be massive casualties on  both sides.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 8:11pm

Beg to differ cando
one factor was not metioned was range so the slingger just start at a range the archers cant reach. exspecialy since no long bows are used As for damage cando go buy your self a couple dozen 6 ounce lead egg sinkers.These would compare to roman lead glands. Pick the  the longest sling you can comfortbaly use. then find a old cedar fence  start at abouttwenty yards see what happens to that fence. do the same with a bow. any bow. compare the damage you will see what i mean

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 8:58pm

yes true, in no way do i question the power of the sling (. Slingers would definitely have a better shot at longer range. rocks or lead will crush up your bones and mess around with organs, arrows will slice through the organs directly. i suppose that if they're both lightly armored slingers are going to do more dammage.

it all depends on the power of the bow, the armour, and the buckler; can an arrow cut through the armour? how effectively can a glande crush it?

if they were both "highly skilled", archers are probably going to get off more shots (assuming that slingers are using powerful, long, slings which are nescesary for maintaining their immense power, so a slinger couldn't use a rapid fire technique as easily).

Also, you could make yourself a smaller target while shooting the bow (depending on the bow) by getting lower to the ground. This would be very difficult do to while slinging without sacrificing a lot of power.

i think that if both groups were in formation slingers would have the advantage. if the soldiers were scattered and moving quickly, archers would probably be able to get more accurate shots.

what about the enviornment, in thick vegetation it will be easier to draw a bow than too sling.

of course slingers would have the advantage too in many if not most scenarios but i'm just making a case for archers

By the Way, How much do those lead sinkers cost? How much more effective are they than rocks?

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 9:28pm

Archers would win. If slingmen are better, why werent there any at crecy? Slings are easier to make and require less maintenance to use than a bow. But, slings dont have the sectional density, penetration, or ease of use that bows have plenty of. Slings just dont have the long range advantage. You cant hope to accurately peg a moving someone at sixty yards. With a bow you have a better chance at doing that. How many people here can hit a moving target at even twenty yards with a sling?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 9:35pm

average archers would beat average slingers but things get interesting when they're both "highly skilled". I'd assume that  highly skilled archers would be using very nice bows though, which would at least even the ground, so to speak.

IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 10:41pm

Hellfire, as to why there weren't any slings at Crecy, that's not a matter of how good slings were. A regular sling is indeed much better than a regular bow. The problem is learning to use it. Learning to use a bow professionally is a matter of years. Learning to use a sling professionally is a matter of a lifetime. Also, slings were around by that time, but in less frequent use. They were around in the form of staff-slings. By the middle ages, slinging with regular shepherds' slings was not a very widespread art. Staff slings could be harder to master, but they were easier to use to greater effect. With a staff sling, you could get tremendous range and power against an area target after some training. However, archery was the national sport of England, and longbows with bodkin points were more effective than any shepherd's sling.

I think that there isn't enough information to resolve the situation. I mean, the sling lengths aren't given, the type of ammo isn't given, the arrow points aren't described. There are plenty of different weapons set ups that could lead to completely different results.

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 1:26am

If there was wind or rain, the slingers would win. If the battle was in a forest or area with alot of groundcover, the archers would win.

I remember reading somewhere that slingers and archers were thrown in together in the middle ages, and that many individuals used both slings and arrows depending on the circumstances of the battle.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 2:44am

He said both carrying a buckler.  Slingers can sling and block at the same time.  Archers can't do that!  Roll Eyes

Also, wouldn't an archer get tired more easily shooting arrows than a slinger slinging rocks?  I heard that somewhere.

It's really hard to say which side would win.  It depends on many factors.

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 4:04am

Thats one hard question to resolve and has come up a lot in this forum.  But if slingers ran out of ammo they could just pick up rocks off the ground.  But then again a bow needs less space to shoot and it's easyer to hit with an arrow but then again i'm not 'highly skilled' with a sling nor a bow.  But you need to look at it from both sides.

But we could all meet up some where and settle this once and for all by spiting up into two groups, archers and slingers.  The archers could use blunts whilst the slingers could use boucey balls or something.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 1:33pm

I think what we really need is a good historian. Because some where in history i am sure this match up occured andwas chonicaled. In fact is there not such a sling In the battles of queen Brutica

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 1:37pm

I for one would be willing to Reneact this mythical event
I with out saying want to be a slinger. What say tennis ball arrows aganst weighted tennis balls Yes long bows are allowed  combattents dip your tennis balls in brite orange paint lets go to war. All interrested combantants contact me though here. Remember I now reside In Syracuse New york

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 2:17pm

Quote:
But we could all meet up some where and settle this once and for all by spiting up into two groups, archers and slingers.  The archers could use blunts whilst the slingers could use boucey balls or something.

Good idea, but something tells me that blunt arrows are still going to hurt

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 2:20pm

At the battle of Najera Spain, the English archers wreaked havoc among the Spanish slingers. The sling in the middle ages  had been surpassed by the Yew longbow and the crossbow(which took less time to learn than the Yew bow). At least in North/Western Europe.....
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 5:48pm

The use of blunt arrows is used in hunting birds and such... I definately would not want to be hit with a blunt arrow... Might break a bone.. seriously!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy)