Inka firebombs. (Read 14008 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Inka firebombs.
Feb 2nd, 2006 at 3:38pm

from the book  1491, by Charles Mann.

" The Inka heated stones in campfires until they were red hot, wrapped them in pitched soaked cotton, and hurled them at there targets. the cotton caught fire in mid-air. In a sudden onslaught the sky would rain burning missles. In 1536, the Inka used these missles to burn spanish occupied Qosqo to the ground."

Seperated by continents, yet they had similar ideas to European slingers.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: Inka firebombs.
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 7:51pm

wow, to catch on fire midair you'd have to have really good timing.

IP Logged

adrenaline
Novicius

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 8:24pm

Hey thats really interesting.. thanks!

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 8:29pm

How did they keep their slings from catching on fire? Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 12:18am

Hellfire asked about the spelling of Inka in a duplicate thread that I removed (sorry Hellfire, but this version had three responses Smiley): Both Inca and Inka are used, though Inca seems to be mst commmon these days and in American literature.

Matthias

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 2:01pm

I suppose the slingers would have to be pretty fast to not have the slings catch fire. It doesn't say.
  What I want to know is why didn't the cotton catch fire whenit was wrapped around the rock?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 2:13pm

ha, and more importantly, how did they not cath themselves on fire  Shocked

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 3:56pm

I think pitch can catch fire only when in liquid state, thus the stone must liquify it first, giving you few seconds for a fast cast without much windup. Anyone knows which style Incas used for these? I would guess overhand, but dunno...

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 5:17pm

it might have been the style that it seems david used against goliath for a fast cast

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 5:59pm

Stenny, based on numberous burns on my forearm, pitch can burn in a solid state also.

I would think this would be a pretty effective weapon against buildings. Perhaps the cotton was soaked like a slowmatch so it would only burn when it got hot enough.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 11:19pm

I wonder how the hot rocks were transported to a battle site. Building a fire to heat the rocks would take time and give away ones position.Toting around a bunch of hot rocks doesn't sound like a sound battlefield tactic.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 3:37am

In a siege building a fire where you need it can be done.
And in mountainus areas it might be posible to position your fire above what is going to be the battlefield.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 10:52am

All the book says is that they launched after 2 or 3 swings. My bet would be overhead, to keep the sling away from sensitive body parts. Shocked

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 10:55am

I would think ANY body part would be sensitive to a red hot rock! Shocked

John Walker  
IP Logged

aarya
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 4:52pm

But if the cotton was soaked like a "slowmatch" or something similar, and only ignited when it got hotter.....
Then... How did they make it hot enough??
The stone would rapidly lose it`s heat once removed from the fire...
If pitch soaked cotton was indeed wrapped around "red hot" stones, what was the mechanism for it to "burst into flame in mid-air"??
Also, that whole thing about red-hot stones seems pretty strange to me..

It makes for decent fantasies, and interesting "what-if's" but very little else..

Something tells me it`s time for us all to get our heads out of the skies, grab a handful of dirt, and snort it like a motherf*... *coughs*

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)